1. How many railroad tank cars were required to deliver the first million gallons of sea water to the Shedd Aquarium in 1930?
2. When was the newest space shuttle, Endeavour, launched for its first mission?
3. What are the anode and cathode materials in an alkaline dry cell battery?
4. What was the maximum potential radiation exposure (in millirems) of an individual at the Department of Energy's Hanford facility in 1995?
5. What is the maximum payload (in pounds) a Delta III rocket is capable of lifting into geosynchronous orbit?
6. What part of a cockroach are the cerci, and what is their purpose?
7. What is the normal blood glucose level for a non-diabetic person in mg/dl?
8. Where is the National Marine Fisheries Service Southeast Fisheries Science Center located?
9. Who were two of the 1998 Recipients of the 1998 National Medal of Science?
10. When must nominations for the 2000 National Medal of Science be postmarked?
11. What were the lattitude, longitude, and wind speed of Hurricane Georges at 3:00 pm, Central Daylight Time on September 25, 1998?
12. What phone number would you call to obtain permission to publish a photo taken at the American Museum of Natural History in New York city?
13. What is Herpetology?
14. According to Frank L. Lambert, who should care about the second law of thermodynamics?
15. On which two continents have Barosaurus skeletons been found?
16. Who were the architects who designed the Tribune tower on Michigan Avenue here in Chicago?
17. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, what is the minimum temperature to which eggs must be cooked in order for them to be safe to eat?
18. The book De Magnete was the first published report that the earth had magnetic poles. Who was its author?
19. When was De Magnete published?
20. How far has the magnetic north pole moved on average per year during this century?
21. Pentathlon is named after an event introduced at the 18th Olympic Games in 708 BC. Why was it introduced?
22. What are the five areas of competition in the Modern Pentathlon?
23. What is the density of gold in g/cm^3?
24. What is the diameter of Pluto in km?
25. How many propellers did the Wright Brothers' original Flyer have?
26. What was the diameter of those propellers?
27. What is the elevation of the highest point in Ohio?
28. What is the name of the hill that is the highest point in Ohio?
29. What is the speed of light in m/s? (Give the most precise value you can find.)
30. How much faster did this year's Boston Marathon winner complete the race than the first winner in 1897?
31. The FBI is developing a system called IAFIS to aid in the identification of criminals. What does the acronym stand for?
32. On March 17, 1999, Netscape Communications Corp. was purchased by another company. What was that company?
33. On March 16, 1926, Dr. Robert H. Goddard tested the first liquid propelled rocket. Where was the test conducted?
34. What is a shield volcano?
35. What ailment is believed to be caused by Helicobacter pylori?
36. Where did Glenn T. Seaborg, who helped to discover 10 elements, go to college?
37. Who is the current president of the American Chemical Society?
38. What causes a "Red Tide"?