Castronovo, Neil Ryan
Director of Student Development
- "Anger and Aggression Groups: Expanding the Scope of College Health Provider Services" Journal of College Student Psychotherapy , 1995, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 23-32.
- "The Search for Self-Esteem: Truth or Pride?" Assumption College Quarterly, 1992, vol. 14, pp. 3 & 10.
- "Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome Education on the College Campus: the Mandate and the Challenge" Journal of Counseling & Development, 1990, vol. 68, pp. 578-580.
- "The Realm of Relationships: When Words Are Not Enough" in Relationships edited by Sean D. Sammon (Whitinsville, Mass.: Affirmation Books, 1983).
- "A Comparative Study of Three Interview Approaches and Their Effects on the Emotionality of Prisoner Patients" Pastoral Care and Counseling Abstracts, 1977, vol. 6, p.30.
"In Search of Integrity" The Ryken Quarterly , 1967, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 24-
Sweet, Doris Ann
Director of Library Services
- “I Feel Like I Could Do It Too: A Paradigm Shift in an Urban Library…” Urban Library Journal 16.1 (spring 2010). With Daren A. Graves and Mary McGowan. Online.
- "Making a Home: Critical Pedagogy in a Library Internship Program for High School Students." Critical Library Instruction: Theories and Methods. Eds. Maria T. Accardi, Emily Drabinski, and Alana Kumbier. Library Juice Press, 2009. 161-175. With Daren Graves and Mary McGowan.
ANTHROPOLOGY & SOCIOLOGY
Assistant Professor of Sociology
- "Why Labor Wins, Why Labor Loses: A Test of Two Theories." The Sociological Quarterly, (1996/1997).
- "The Adoption of No-Fault Divorce Laws by American States, 1969-1991" (with Steve Bahr). Journal of Marriage and the Family.
Assistant Professor of Sociology
- "Juvenile Economic Sanctions: An Analysis of Their Imposition, Payment, and Effect on Recidivism." Criminology & Public Policy 13.1 (2014): 31-60. Print. With Stacy Hoskins Haynes and R. Barry Ruback.
- "How Do We Know If It Works? Measuring Outcomes in Bystander-focused Abuse Prevention on Campuses." Psychology of Violence 4.1 (2014): 101-15. Print. With Victoria L. Banyard, Mary M. Moynihan, and Rebecca Warner.
- “Risks and Opportunities of Faith and Culture: The Case of Abused Jewish Women.” Journal of Family Violence 27.5 (2012): 427-435. With G.R. Cusick. Print.
Professor Emeritus of Sociology
- Ga till Amerika: the Construction of a Swedish Ethnic Identity for Worcester, Massachusetts. Co-authored with John McClymer (Worcester, Mass.: 1994).
- The Westerholms and the Lundquists : from Sweden to America. Co-authored with Kevin L. Hickey, John F. McClymer, and Kenneth J. Moynihan.. (Worcester, Mass.: Assumption College, 1983)
- New Perspectives on the Laity (Bureau of Research and Survey, National Council of Churches, 1961).
- The Swedish-American Historical Quarterly, Jan. 1995 Guest editor with John McClymer for special issue publishing the papers presented at the international symposium at Assumption College during December 1993.
- "The Importance of Being Protestant: the Swedish Role in Worcester, Massachusetts" Co-authored with Kevin L. Hickey and Kenneth J. Moynihan in Swedes in America: New Perspectives, edited by Ulf Beijbom (Vaxjo, Sweden, 1993), pp. 33 -58.
- "A Swedish Working-Class Church: the Methodists of Quinsigamond Village"in The Swedish-American Historical Quarterly, Jan. 1989.
- "Beyond Textiles: Industrial Diversity and the Franco-American Experience in Worcester, Massachusetts" Co-authored with Kenneth J. Moynihan in The Little Canadas of New England, edited by Claire Quintal (Worcester, Mass.: Assumption College, 1983), pp. 104-119.
- "An Interdisciplinary Approach to Community Studies" Co-authored with Kevin L. Hickey et al. in The History Teacher, Nov. 1979, vol. 12, pp. 37-48.
- "Creating Effective Community History Assignments" Co-authored with Kevin L. Hickey et al. in The Newberry Papers in Family and Community History, March 1979.
- "The Meaning and End of Religiosity" Co-authored with Michael Overington in American Journal of Sociology, March 1970.
- "The Effective City Church Study" in The City Church (National Council of Churches, 1960).
Assistant Professor of Sociology
Associate Professor of Anthropology
- “Fighting or Dancing? Archaeology and Folklore Traces.” Archaeologies 8.3 (December 2012): 366-375. Print.
- "Myth and Folklore." Oxford Handbook of the Archaeology of Ritual and Religion. Ed. Tim Insoll. Oxford, England: Oxford University Press, 2011. 63-75. Print.
- "Basso's Wisdom Sits in Places." An Assumption Library: Essays Presented in Celebration of the 20th Anniversary of the Emmanuel d'Alzon Library. Worcester, Mass.: Assumption College Library, c2008. 126-128.
- "Abandoned, Avoided, Expelled: the Creation of ‘Empty’ Landscapes." Ed. Angele P. Smith and Amy Gazin-Schwartz. Landscapes of Clearance: Archaeological and Anthropological Perspectives. Left Coast Press, 2008.
- Gazin-Schwartz, A. (2007) "Imaging the Scottish Highlands," Historical Archaeology 41(1):92-106.
- "Dwelling in an Old Country," Journal of Iberian Archaeology [Special Issue: Approaching Prehistoric and Protohistoric Architectures from a Dwelling Perspective], June 2006.
- "Mementoes of the Past: Material Culture of Tourism at Stonehenge and Avebury," IN: Rowan, Yorke and Uzi Baram, eds. Marketing Heritage: Archaeology and the Consumption of the Past. (Walnut Creek, CA.: Alta Mira Press, 2004)
- "Archeology and folklore of ritual, material culture, and everyday life," International Journal of Historical Archaeology, December 2001.
- Archaeology and Folklore, Amy Gazin-Schwartz and Cornelius Holtorf, eds. (Routledge, 1999).
Assistant Professor of Sociology
- The Leftmost City: Power and Progressive Politics in Santa Cruz. Boulder: Westview Press, 2009. Co-authored with G.W. Domhoff.
- "Forging Collective Capacity for Urban Redevelopment: 'Power To,' 'Power Over,' or Both?" City and Community, 5.1, 2006.
Professor Emerita of Sociology
- "Young in Spirit, Old in Bones." Engaging Aging 3.2 (spring 2008): 3-4.
- "Life Review Interviews," IN Fettes, Danielle, et al., eds. The Life Course: A Handbook of Syllabi & Instructional Materials. (American Sociological Association, 2002).
- "Promoting Spiritual Reminiscence Through Life Review," IN International Reminiscence of Life Review Conference 2001: Selected Conference Papers and Proceedings (University of Wisconsin-Superior Center for Continuing Education/Extension, n.d.).
- "Themes of Continuity and Change in the Spiritual Reminiscence of Elder Catholic Women Religious," IN Webster, Jeffrey Dean and Barbara Haight, eds., Critical Advances in Reminiscence Work: From Theory to Application. (Springer Publishing, 2002).
- "Solitude and Prayer in the Late Lives of Elder Catholic Women Religious: Activity, Withdrawal or Transcendence?" Journal of Religious Gerontology , Fall 2001.
- "Generativity in the Lives of Elder Catholic Women Religious," IN Owens, Timothy, ed. Self and Identity Through the Life Course in Cross-Cultural Perspective (JAI Press, 2000).
- "Life Review Interviews" [manual] in The Life Course: a Handbook of Syllabi and Instructional Material (American Sociological Association), edited by Tim Owens et al.
- "Continuity in the Lives of Elder Catholic Women Religious" in International Journal of Aging and Human Development.
ART, MUSIC & THEATER
Professor Emerita of Art History
- Paxton. Charleston, S.C.: Arcadia Publishing, 2013. Print.
- Understanding the Art Museum. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Prentice Hall, 2007. Print.
- "Entry Point to the Scriptorium Bede Knew at Wearmouth and Jarrow:
The Canon Tables of the Codex Amiatinus," Conference Proceedings of the International
ConferenceBède le Vénérable: bilan et
perspectives, Amiens, France, July 2002.
- "The Tabernacle Illumination in the Codex Amiatinus Re-considered," Conference Proceedings of The Second Annual International Conference on
Biblical Studies in the Early Middle Ages, Gargnano, Lake Garda, Italy,
Mineral Point - Images of America Series, co-authored with
Herbert Beall. (Arcadia Press, 2000).
- "Teaching Art History Through the Study of Manuscripts:
Considerations of Pedagogy and Methodology," Manuscripta,
Selected Papers from the Twenty-Sixth Saint Louis Conference on
Manuscript Studies, Saint Louis, Missouri, 8-9 October 1999 (accepted-
- "The Codex Amiatinus: The Significance of a Production Error," Manuscripta, Proceedings of the Twenty-Third Saint Louis Conference on
Manuscript Studies, Saint Louis, Missouri, 4-5 October 1996.
- "Treasures from the Scholar's Studio." In The John M. Crawford, Jr.
Bequest of Chinese Art, Exhibition Catalogue. Providence:
Brown University and the Museum of the Rhode Island School of Design, 1993.
- "Biography of John M. Crawford, Jr." contributor, in The John
M. Crawford, Jr. Bequest of Chinese Art, Exhibition Catalogue.
Providence: Brown University and the Museum of the Rhode Island
School of Design, 1993.
- "Olana - The House that Church Built," Museum Insights, Amherst, MA., 1991.
- "The Heart of the Andes," Museum Insights, Amherst, MA.,
Lecturer in Music; Director of Chapel Music/College Organist
- "Eliot's Daniel Deronda." An Assumption Library: Essays Presented in Celebration of the 20th Anniversary of the Emmanuel d'Alzon Library. Worcester, Mass.: Assumption College Library, c2008. 52-55.
- Frank Corbin, Organ (works by Bach, Widor, Duruflé, Messiaen, and Reubke) (Worcester, Mass.: Assumption College, 1998)
- Frank Corbin plays Franck. (Centaur Records, 2002)
Assistant Professor of Art History
Visiting Assistant Professor of Art
- “My House.” The Global Perspectives: Understanding the Past, Looking to the Future. Catherine Wilcox-Titus and Karen Finnegan. Worcester, MA: The Gallery at Worcester State University, October 2011: Cover and unpaged.
Professor of Music; Archivist
- Claude Le Jeune, le psautier huguenot et la musique religieuse à la cour pendant les règnes de Charles IX, Henri III et Henry IV. (Strasbourg : Université des sciences humaines de Strasbourg, Institut de musicologie, 1980).
- Catholic Church. Matins at Cluny for the feast of Saint Peter's Chains : after the manuscript Paris, Bibl. nat. lat. 12601(around 1075). (London : The Plainsong & Mediaeval Music Society, 1986).
- Le Jeune, Claude. Les Psaumes de David : mis en musique à III parties. (Tours : Centre de Musique Ancienne, 2000).
Associate Professor of Art
- "Endangered Species" (silverpoint and gouache on birch). 2007 International Drawing Annual. Cincinnati: Manifest Creative Research Gallery and Drawing Center, c2008: 98.
Assistant Professor of Art History
- "Marketing Artistic Careers: Pablo Picasso as Brand Manager." European Journal of Marketing48.1/2 (2014): 68-88. Print. With Albert M. Muniz, Jr., and Gary Alan Fine.
- Rev. of Kenneth Silver, Chaos and Classicism: Art in France, Italy, and Germany, 1918–1936, Exhibition Catalog, New York: Guggenheim Museum, 2010.. CAA Reviews Online September 1. 2011. Online < http://www.caareviews.org/reviews/1678>.
- Academics, Pompiers, Official Artists and the Arrière-Garde: Defining Modern and Traditional in France, 1900-1960. Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars, 2009. Editor, with Natalie Adamson.
- "The Querelle du Realisme and the Politicization of French Artists during the Great Depression," PART: Journal of the CUNY PhD Program in Art History, n. 12
- "Amazon Kindle Fire Claims an Important Market Position." Journal of Case Studies 31.2 (2013): 91-7. Print. With Karen A. Berger.
- "Gerber and Food Safety: Arsenic and (Old) Rice." Journal of Critical Incidents 6 (2013): 123-6. Print. With Karen A. Berger.
- "Segmentation Strategies for Improved Enrollment and Retention Levels - A Case Study in Higher Ed Marketing." International Handbook of Academic Research and Teaching: Conference Proceedings, Spring 2008. By David King. N.p.: Intellectbase International Consortium, 2008. 92-99. Print. With Kevin Mayne.
Assistant Professor of Marketing and Organizational Communication
“The UBS Diversity Case.” Understanding and Managing Diversity 5th Ed. By Carol P. Harvey & M. June Allard. Boston: Pearson, Aug. 2011. 318-327. Print.
- “Song of the Open Road: Business Students Blog About Tacit Knowledge in Their Internships.” American Journal of Business Education 3.11 (2010): 131-136. Print.
- “Socially Responsible Marketing.” Proceedings at the 36th Northeast Business and Economics Conference. Worcester, MA. ( November 6, 2009): 69-72. With L. Dahlin. Print.
- "Ethical Marketing," IN Proceedings of the 34th Annual Meeting of the Northeast Business and Economics Association, Central Connecticut State University, New Britain, Connecticut. November 9, 2007. With L. Dahlin.
- "Another Perspective" IN Hill, Charles W.L. Global Business Today, 5th ed. (New York: Irwin McGraw-Hill, 2007). Co-Authored with Prof. Jeanne McNett.
Associate Professor of Management
- “Multicultural Negotiations Exercise.” International Management: Managing Across Borders and Cultures, Text and Cases, 8th ed. Ed. Helen Deresky. New York: Prentice Hall, 2013. 168-176. Print.
- “The U.S. Air Forces Academy Case.” Understanding and Managing Diversity-Readings, Cases, and Exercises, 5th ed.,byCarol P. Harvey & M. June Allard. New York, NY: Pearson Education, Inc., 2011. 383-394. Print.
- "The U.S. Air Force Academy: Organizational Culture and Diversity Issues." IN Understanding and Managing Diversity: Readings, Cases and Exercises, 4th ed. (Prentice Hall, 2009), p.314-324. Edited by Carol Harvey, M. June Allard.
- "Business Ethics and Organizational Social Responsibility: Natural Fit?, Natural Conflict? or Oxymoron?" in Conference Proceedings of the European Applied Business Research Conference (Santorini, Greece: June 2004).
“Believability: A Case in Law Enforcement Diversity,” in Understanding and Managing Diversity: Readings, Cases, and Exercises. (New York: Prentice-Hall, 2004).
- “Issues in Diversity in Law Enforcement,” in Conference Proceedings of the European Applied Business Research Conference, (Venice, Italy: June 2003). This article received the award for the “Best Paper of the Session”.
- "Diversity in Law Enforcement," in Understanding and Managing Diversity: Readings, Cases, and Exercises. (New York: Prentice Hall, 2001).
- “The Impact of the 1996 Deregulation Legislation on the U.S. Telecommunications’ Market,” in Conference Proceedings of the Academy of Business Administration’s International Conference, (Athens, Greece: 1996).
- "Japanese Multicultural Negotiations Exercise" in Understanding Diversity, Readings and Cases, (Harper-Collins, 1994).
- “Service Marketing Problems Between the U.S. and the E.E.C.,” in Business Trends for the 21st Century, (Academy of Business Administration: March, 1994).
- “The Impact of International Long Distance Telephone Service on the U.S. Balance of Payments Problems with the European Economic Community, 1985-1990,” in Conference Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on Comparative Management, (Kaosiung, Taiwan, R.O.C.: 1992).
- “The Marketing of International Long Distance Telephone Service and the U.S. Balance of Payments Problem in Europe,” in New England Business Administration Conference Volume, (April 26-27, 1991).
Professor Emerita of Management
- “What Students Are Telling Us about Teaching: The Dangerfield Effect.”Academy of Taiwan Business Management Review 6.2 (2010): 1-13. With M. June Allard, Kien-Quoc Van Pham, Merlin Simpson. Print.
- Understanding and Managing Diversity: Readings, Cases and Exercises, 4th ed. (Prentice Hall, 2009). Co-edited with M. June Allard.
- "The Age Discrimination Act of 1975," IN John C. Super, ed. The Seventies in America. (Salem Press, 2006).
- Understanding and Managing Diversity: Readings, Cases and Exercises, 3rd ed., co-authored with M. June Allard. (Upper Saddle River, N.J. : Pearson/Prentice Hall, c2005.)
- "The Panera Bread Case: Not by Bread Alone," IN John R. Schermerhorn, Jr., James G. Hunt and Richard N. Osborn, eds., Organizational Behavior, 9th ed. (New York: Wiley, 2005)
- Understanding and Managing Diversity: Readings, Cases and Exercises, co-authored with M. June Allard. (New York: Prentice Hall, 2002).
- Understanding and Managing Diversity: Readings, Cases and Exercises. Instructor's Manual, co-authored with M. June Allard. (New York: Prentice Hall, 2002)
- "Learning about Change," IN Silberman, Mel, ed. The Consultant's Toolkit. (McGraw-Hill)
- Understanding Diversity: Readings, Cases & Exercises (Harper-Collins, 1995).
- "Critical Thinking in the Management Classroom: Bloom's Taxonomy as a Learning Tool," co-authored with Jeanne McNett, Journal of Management Education, October 2003.
- "Delegating with Style" in The Consultant's Big Book of Organizational Development Tools, Mel Silberman (ed.) (McGraw-Hill, 2002).
- "Delegating with Style: Learning Style" in McGraw-Hill Training and Performance Sourcebook, Mel Silberman (ed.) (McGraw-Hill, 1998).
- "Federal Labor Standards Act" and "Americans with Disabilities Act" entries in Encyclopedia of North American History (Salem Press, 1997).
- "The Four Stages of Team Development: Smoothing Out the Wrinkles" and "Learning about Change: Is the Zebra White with Black Stripes or Black with White Stripes?" in 1997 McGraw-Hill Team and Organization Sourcebook , edited by Mel Silberman (McGraw-Hill, 1997).
- "Women's Management Styles"; "Bona Fide Occupational Qualifications"; "Mommy Track"; "Women in Advertising" in Ready Reference: Women's Issues (Salem Press, 1996).
- "The Cocktail Party" in The 1996 Training and Performance Sourcebook , edited by Mel Silberman (McGraw-Hill, 1996).
- "Elizabeth Arden" and "Jane Cahill Pfieffer" in Great Lives from History: American Women (Salem Press, 1995).
Professor Emeritus of Management
- "Determinants of business success under 'hypocapitalism': Case studies of Russian firms and their strategies," Journal of Business Research, Feb 2003, v56, i2, p113(7).
- "A college admission test protocol to mitigate the effects of false negative SAT scores," The Journal of College Admission, no168 (Summer 2000) p. 22-9. Co-authored with Wendy Samter.
- "Network Capitalism: Strategic Response to the 'Hypocapitalism' of the Post-socialist Economy in Russia," Journal of Contemporary Business Issues, Fall, 1999.
Assistant Professor of Accounting
- "Ripken Products: A Case for Learning Activity-Based Costing." Journal of Business Case Studies 10.2 (2014): 137-46. Print.
- "Liberty Company Bond Resource: Clarifying Bond Liability Accounting Using a Zero-Coupon Bond." Journal of Business Case Studies 9.2 (2013): 145-50. Print.
- "Understanding Debits and Credits: Interpreting 'Your Account Has Been Credited' on a Bank Deposit Receipt." Accounting Instructors' Report 10.3 (2012): 1-6. Print.
- "JIT and the EOQ Model: Odd Couple No More!" Management Accounting 72.8 (1991): 54-57. Print.
- “Visualizing Accounting Transaction Flows into Financial Statements.” American Journal of Business Education 5:6 (November/December 2012): 753-758. Print.
- “Using outKast on Tour: An Instructional Mini-case for Learning Accrual Accounting Concepts.” Accounting Instructors' Report (Spring 2012): 1-8. Web. <http://community.cengage.com/Site/accountingnewsnetwork/m/mediagallery/2488.aspx>
Associate Professor of Accounting
- Principles of Pharmaceutical Accounting. Co-authored (Philadelphia: Lea & Febiger Publishers, 1980).
- "One Approach to Integrating Computer Usage into the College Auditing Course" in Journal of Accounting and Computers, Fall 1992.
- "Small Business Audits: a Continuing Problem" in Ohio CPA Journal, Winter 1986.
- "Creation of Income in Federal Taxation" in CPA Journal, Dec. 1982.
- "Corn Products: the Evolution of Tax Doctrine" in CPA Journal , Nov. 1980.
- "Endowment Fund Management: Does Prudence Exclude Stocks" in Hospital Financial Management, Jan. 1980.
- "Reducing Tax Liability by Maximizing Non-cash Expenses" Co-authored in Pharmacy Management, March/April 1979.
- "Professional Reaction to Statement on Auditing Stardards #20" in Massachusetts CPA Review, July/Aug 1978.
- "Is COCOA a Good Prescription for Hospital Financial Reporting?" in Wisconsin CPA, Oct. 1977.
- "Financial Analysis and Interpretation of Pharmacy Operations"Co-authored in Journal of the American Pharmaceutical Association, May 1977.
- "Accounting Education Often Ignores the Non-profit Area" in Hospital Financial Management, Feb. 1977.
Professor Emerita of Management
- International Business. McGraw-Hill Irwin, 2012. With Michael Geringer and Michael Minor. Print.
- International Business: The Challenge of Global Competition. McGraw-Hill Irwin, 2010. 12th edition. Co-authored with Donald A. Ball, Michael Geringer and Michael Minor.
- "Woolf's The Waves." An Assumption Library: Essays Presented in Celebration of the 20th Anniversary of the Emmanuel d'Alzon Library. Worcester, Mass.: Assumption College Library, c2008. 75-77.
- "Warhead Cable Test Dilemma." Business and Society: Stakeholders, Ethics, Public Policy. Eds. Anne T. Lawrence and James Weber. Burr Ridge, IL: McGraw-Hill, 2008.
- "The Ethics of Workplace Diversity." IN Understanding and Managing Diversity: Readings, Cases and Exercises, 4th ed. (Prentice Hall, 2009), p.278-290. Edited by Carol Harvey, M. June Allard.
- "Blue Ridge Spain," IN Schaan, Jean-Louis and Michael Kelly. Cases in Alliance Management (Sage Publications, 2007).
- "Another Perspective" IN Hill, Charles W.L. Global Business Today, 5th ed. (New York: Irwin McGraw-Hill, 2007) Co-authored with Prof. Arlene DeWitt.
- International Business: The Challenge of Global Competition (Irwin McGraw-Hill, 2007).
- "Robert Service," IN Greenwood Encyclopedia of American Poets and Poetry. Westport, Conn. : Greenwood Press, 2006.
- Co-editor: The Blackwell Encyclopedia of Management: International Management, 2nd ed. (Blackwell Publishing, 2005).
- "Diversity in the Workplace: Ethics, Pragmatism, or Some of Both?" IN Harvey, Carol and June Allard, eds., Understanding and Managing Diversity (Pearson, 2004).
- "Global Reality with Virtual Teams: Lessons from the Globally Distant Multicultural Teams Project," IN Wankel, Charles and Robert DiFillippi, eds., The Cutting Edge of International Management Education (Information Age Publishing, 2004).
- Co-editor: The Blackwell Handbook of Global Management: A Guide to Managing Complexity. (Blackwell Publishing, 2004).
- "Making Ethical Decisions," IN The Blackwell Handbook of Global Management: A Guide to Managing Complexity. (Blackwell Publishing, 2004).
- Terralumen S.A.: case study, IN Albaum, Gerald, et al, eds. International Marketing and Export Management. (Pearson Education).
- "Critical Thinking in the Management Classroom: Bloom's Taxonomy as a Learning Tool," co-authored with Carol Harvey, Journal of Management Education, October 2003.
- "Women's Learning, Women's Work," IN Ardis, Ann and Bonnie Kime Scott, eds., Virginia Woolf: Turning the Centuries (Pace University Press, 2000) Co-authored with Ann Murphy.
- CD-ROM presentation to accompany Hill, Charles, Global Business Today (McGraw-Hill Irwin, 2000).
- "Marching to a Different Drummer" in Nonprofit Management Case Collection. (San Francisco: University of San Francisco Institute for Nonprofit Organization Management, 2000).
Meyer, Kathy M.
Lecturer in Marketing and Management
- Articles in Great Ideas for Teaching Marketing, 5th ed. (South-Western College Publishing, 1999).
Associate Professor of Management
- "Fitzgerald's Tender Is the Night." An Assumption Library: Essays Presented in Celebration of the 20th Anniversary of the Emmanuel d'Alzon Library. Worcester, Mass.: Assumption College Library, c2008. 81.
- "Cost Containment Strategies and Quality of Care," The Business Review, Cambridge, 7.1 (2007).
- "Cost Containment Strategies and Quality of Care," The Business Review, Cambridge, 7.1 (2007).
- “A Survey of Machine Shops Scheduling Techniques,” The Business Review, Cambridge , 5.1 (2006).
- "Application of the Transportation Model to Machine Allocation in Job Shop Facilities," co-authored with Anne Baldridge. In Proceedings of the Northeast Decision Sciences Institute (NEDSI) Annual Conference. Philadelphia, PA, 2005.
- "Outsourcing Versus In-House Provision of Sleep Diagnostic Services," co-authored with Scott M. Janssens. The Journal of American Academy of Business, 6:1, March, 2005.
[This paper received the Best Author Award from the Journal of American Academy of Business, Cambridge.]
- "A Comparison Between Financial Reporting in Health Care Versus Other Industries," co-authored with Nerissa M. Robert. The Journal of American Academy of Business , 5:1-2, September, 2004.
- Education Simulation Program (software program). Nation Wide Software Service, 1992.
- "Can Health Management Information Systems be Used as a Competitive Weapon in Health Care Organizations?" In Proceedings of the Northeast Decision Sciences Institute (NEDSI) Annual Conference. Atlantic City, NJ, 2000.
- "Life Under Capitation: The Reimbursement for the Future," co-authored with Kathan Overton
Horne. In Proceedings of The Decision Sciences Institute 5th International Conference on Integrating Technology & Human Decisions: Global Bridges into the 21st Century. Athens Greece, 1999.
Assistant Professor of Accounting
- "The Demise of Arthur Andersen's One-firm Concept: A Case Study in Corporate Governance," co-authored with Gregory M. Trompeter, Business and Society Review, 109, (June, 2004),183-207.
- "Cisco's First Glitch," Journal of Business Research, July 2005.
- "Public Accounting and the Government, 1896-1996: 100 Years of Controversy and Compromise," (co-authored), Proceedings of the North American Accounting Society Annual Meeting, (North American Accounting Society, 2005).
- “Documenting Abilities and Achievements: The Use of Professional Portfolios for Accounting Students and Young Accounting Professionals” co-authored with Cheryl Amantea, Journal of College Teaching and Learning, May 2004.
Adjunct Faculty in MBA Program, Business - MBA
- "Strategies for meeting the individual needs and learning styles of online learners." International Journal of Arts and Commerce 2.10 (2013): 17-30. Print.
Doyle, George A.
Professor Emeritus of Economics
- The river of life : poems for main events in our journey (Pittsburgh, Penn : Dorrance Pub., 1994)
- China and the IMF (Shandong University [China]: 1989).
- Analysis of the Rate Proposals of Boston Edison Company (SBRDI. Testimony for Department of Public Utilities, 1980).
- Analysis of the Average Annual Wage Limitations (Worcester Manpower Consortium, 1979).
- Today's Need in the Third World: a Development-Education Economic Plan Package (U. S. Agency for International Development, 1977).
- Foundations for a National Policy to Preserve Private Enterprise in the 1980's (Joint Economic Committee, U. S. Congress, 1977).
- China and the Chinese: the True Leap Forward (Joint Economic Committee, U. S. Congress, 1976).
- A Design for a Locally Oriented Export Expansion Program (Cambridge, Mass: International Marketing Institute, 1965).
- A Guide to Soviet Ideology (U. S. Army War College, 1962).
- The Economic Elements of National Power. Co-authored with Marshall Robinson (U. S. Army War College, 1961).
- Economic Capability for War and Wartime Economic Potential (Washington: Industrial College of the Armed Forces, 1956).
- "A New Economic Model for Hong Kong" in Staff Papers, entire issue, June 1975.
- "Today's Need: a Foreign Economic Policy for Hong Kong" Ming Pao, Dec. 1974.
- "Patterns of Economic Growth in Central Massachusetts and in the New England Region" Co-authored, Bentley Business and Economic Review, June 1969, pp. 124 ff.
- "Gold Leaves the Dollar" Bentley Business and Economic Review, June 1968, pp. 173 ff.
- "New Departures in International Economics" Bentley Business and Economic Review, Oct. 1967, pp. 14 ff.
- "BLUTRADE, an Export Expansion Program that Works" in International Trade Forum
Associate Professor of Economics
- "Fiscal Capacity Measurement and Equity in Local Contributions to Schools: The Effects of Education Finance Reform in Massachusetts." Journal of Education Finance 37.4 (Spring 2012): 317-346. Print.
“Education Funding in Massachusetts: The Effects of Aid Modifications on Vertical and Horizontal Equity.” Journal of Education Finance 3.3 ( Winter 2011): 217-243. Print.
- "Information Strategies Internet Retailing." The Southern Business and Economic Journal, winter/spring 2007.
- "Social Class Diversity." IN Understanding and Managing Diversity: Readings, Cases and Exercises, 4th ed. (Prentice Hall, 2009), p.158-169. Edited by Carol Harvey, M. June Allard.
- "Internet Versus Traditional Retailing: An Address Model Approach," Journal of Economics & Business, 58, 2006.
- "The Choice of Local Government Structure in Massachusetts: A Historical Public Choice Perspective,"Social Science Quarterly, June 1998.
- "Local Fiscal Constraints, Inefficiencies and the Median Voter: Levy Limit Overrides in Massachusetts," Journal of Business and Economic Studies.
Associate Professor of Geography
- Co-editor with Kantarelis, D. The Interdisciplinary Environmental Review.
- Co-editor: Proceedings of the Fourth Annual Interdisciplinary Environmental Association Conference (Washington, DC, July 1998).
- The Westerholms and the Lundquists : from Sweden to America. Co-authored with Charles Estus, John F. McClymer, and Kenneth J. Moynihan.. (Worcester, Mass.: Assumption College, 1983).
Professor of Economics
- "The Firm as a Function of Deals." International Journal of Law and Management 56.4 (2014): 311-32. Print.
- Theories of the Firm. Geneva: Inderscience Enterprises, 2014. Print.
- “The Banking Firm: Theoretical Principles and Their Violations in the USA.” International Journal of Business Continuity and Risk Management 1.3 (2010): 222-232. Print.
- Theories of the Firm, 3rd ed. Inderscience Enterprises, c2010.
- "Entrepreneurship in the USA: Architecture, Market Structure and Incentives" International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation Management 9.3 (2009): 191-203.
- "Pairing Industries and Firms for Optimum Portfolio Performance." World Journal of Management & Economics 2(2): 1-10.
- Essentials of Inferential Statistics (5th ed.). Lanham, Md.: University Press of America, c2009.
- "Internalization of Costs, Liability and Negligence, Performance and Reliance." International Journal of Law and Management 50.6 (2008): 274-284.
- Theories of the Firm, 2nd. ed. ([Great Britain?] : Inderscience Enterprises, 2007).
- "The Increasing Relevance of Auctions," World Journal of Business Management, Fall 2007.
- "Capital Democratization and Automation," The Journal of Socio-Economics, Spring 2007.
- "Entrepreneurship in the USA: Architecture, Market Structure & Incentives," The International Journal of Entrepreneurship & Innovation Management, Fall 2007.
- "Occupational Stress: Some Microeconomic Issues," International Journal of Management Concepts and Philosophy, 1 (3), 2005.
- Essentials of Inferential Statistics, 4th ed. Co-authored. (University Press of America, 2005)
- Essentials of Inferential Statistics. Co-authored with Malcolm Asadoorian. (McGraw-Hill/Primis, 2000)
- Theories of the Firm (McGraw-Hill, 2000)
- Editor-in Chief, Global Business & Economics Review.
- Editor, Business & Economics Society International proceedings.
- Co-editor with Hickey, K. The Interdisciplinary Environmental Review.
- Co-editor: Proceedings of the Fourth Annual Interdisciplinary Environmental Association Conference (Washington, DC, July 1998)
- Essentials of Inferential Statistics (McGraw-Hill, 1996).
- "Building Blocks for an Evolutionary Theory of the Firm: Review and Analysis," Journal of Business & Public Affairs, August 2003.
- "The Neoclassical Theory of the Firm and Some of its Branches," Journal of the Academy of Business Administration , Spring/Fall 2002.
- "A Fertility-reducing Cycle as a Cause for Fertility Decline," IN Moore, David and Sam Fullerton, eds. International Business Practices: Contemporary Readings (Academy of Business Administration, 2002) Co-authored with Jeffry R. Cicero, Diana Gross and Sean Kenney.
- "How Do You Spell Future?" International Business Trends, (Academy of Business Administration, International Conference, 2001)
- "The Ugly Face of Opportunism," Contemporary Business Readings, (Academy of Business Administration, International Conference, 2000)
- "NATO's Mission, Threat Environments and Effectiveness," Business Quest, a Journal of Applied Topics in Business and Economics, 2000.
- "The North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Today: An Institution for Peace and Economic Prosperity," IN Moore, David and Sam Fullerton, eds. International Business Practices: Contemporary Readings (Academy of Business Administration, 2000)
- "Stochastic Duopoly and Learning to Cooperate," IN Moore, David, ed. International Business Practices: Contemporary Readings (Academy of Business Administration, 1999)
- "Labor Hoarding and Market Gains" in Journal of the Academy of Business Administration, Fall 1996.
- "A Maximum Likelihood Approach to Subjective Decisions: an Application to the Ranking of American College Football Teams" in Applications of Quantitative Techniques, edited by S. Fullerton and P. Barr (1996).
- "Interdependency Between Nations" in The Changing Global Economy , edited by S. Amin et al. (1996).
- "Labor Hoarding and Market Gains" in Journal of the Academy of Business Administration, Fall 1995, vol. 1, no. 2.
- "Captive and Common Markets Without Price Discrimination" in Global Business, edited by S. Amin and P. Barr (1994).
- "The Evolution of Industrial Concentration Due to Luck: an Extension" in Studies in Economic Analysis, 1993, vol. 15, no. 1.
- "Marketing, Variety of Products and Profits in the Long-Run" in Business Topics - New Directions, edited by S. Amin and D. Moore (1993).
- "Buyers, Sellers and Price Cost Margins in Manufacturing Industries" in Studies in Economic Analysis, Spring 1989, vol. 12, no. 2.
- "Live and Let Live Type Behavior of Oligopolists in a Multi-market Setting with Demand Fluctuations" Co-authored with E. C. H. Veendorp in Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, Oct.
- "Buyer Concentration and Countervailing Power" Co-authored with E. C. H. Veendorp in Quarterly Journal of Business and Economics , 1987, vol. 26, no. 3.
- "The Buyer's Response to 'Vertical' Quality Changes" in Spoudes Quarterly Economic Journal, Dec. 1985, vol. 35, no. 3.
- "Agricultural Economic Development and Some Lessons from the Performance of the Ilo's Strategy for Kenya" Co-authored with J. R. Duran in African Journal of Agricultural Sciences.
Assistant Professor of Economics
- "Morrison's Beloved." An Assumption Library: Essays Presented in Celebration of the 20th Anniversary of the Emmanuel d'Alzon Library. Worcester, Mass.: Assumption College Library, c2008. 119-121.
- "Sovereign Bond Markets with Political Risk and Moral hazard," International Review of Economics & Finance, online May 2005.
- "Overlapping Paradigms in the Cost Benefit Analysis of Pollution Regulation," Interdisciplinary Environmental Review, 7 (1), 2005.
Assistant Professor of Economics
- “Understanding Human Trafficking Origin: A Cross-Country Empirical Analysis.” Feminist Economics 18.2 (2012): 231-263. With C. Presenti. Print.
- “Liberalization, Work and Empowerment: The Feminization of Agriculture in Rural South India.” Journal of Development Studies 47.2 (2011): 294-315. Print.
- "Putting the 'Global' in Global Economic Crisis." Dollars and Sense 285 (Nov/Dec 2009): 26-29.
- "Reforms with a Female Face: Gender, Liberalization and Economic Policy in Andhra Pradesh." World Development 36.7 (July 2008): 1213-1232.
- "West Bengal's Right Turn." Dollars and Sense 275 (March/April 2008): 18-23.
- Real World Micro. (Dollars and Sense, 2007). Co-editor.
Associate Professor of Economics
- "Cooperative Learning and Student Performance: Does Group Type Matter?"Advances in Financial Education 11 (2013): 1-20. Print.
- "Sharing Resources: the Global Distributions of Ecological Footprint," Ecological Economics, v. 64, 2007, p. 402-410.
- "Agglomeration Economies: Population, Density, and Network Effects," Journal of Business and Economics Research, October 2004.
- "Diet and the Distribution of Environmental Impact," Ecological Economics, v34, n1 (July 2000): 145-53.
Assistant Professor of Economics
- "Race and the Likelihood of Managing in Major League Baseball." Journal of Labor Research 34.1 (2013): 30-51. Print.
- “Debating Immortality: Application of DEA to Voting for the Baseball Hall of Fame.” Managerial Economics 33.3 (April 2012): 177-188. Print. With Thomas Miceli.
Lecturer in Education
- “Eyewitness to the Mushroom Clouds: A Dorchester Native, the Bomb, and Its Power to Transform an Ordinary Life.”Historical Journal of Massachusetts 41.1 (Winter 2013): 76–103. Print
- “Grassroots Suffragists: Josephine Collins and Louise Mayo, A Study in Contrasts.” The New England Journal of History 67.2 (spring 2011): 54-72. Print.
- "African American Heritage Trails: From Boston to the Berkshires." Historical Journal of Massachusetts 37.2 (fall 2009): 17-32.
- "A Bridge for Crispus Attucks?," Historical Journal of Massachusetts, winter 2008.
- "Walking Boston's History: A Multicultural Perspective," The New England Journal of History, 62(2), 2006, 40 - 59.
- Multicultural Social Studies: Using Local History in the Classroom. (New York: Teachers College Press, 2005)
- "Multicultural Social Studies: The Local History Connection," The Social Studies, May/Jun2003, Vol. 94 Issue 3, p111, 7p.
- "Parting Words," MultiCultural Review, June 2002.
- "Keepers of Tradition, Agents of Change: Social Studies Teachers and Multicultural Education, The International Social Studies Forum, 1 (1): 2001.
- "Linking Technology with Social Studies,"The Social Studies, November/December 2000.
- "'All History is Local:' Using the Familiar to Teach and Learn Core Knowledge Topics," The New England Journal of History, Winter 2001.
De la Cruz, Jessica
Assistant Professor of Education
- “Selecting Proportional Reasoning Tasks.” Australian Mathematics Teacher 69.2 (2013): 14-18. Print.
- “Proportional Reasoning Instruction: A Cognitively Guided Approach to Professional Development.” Proceedings of the Thirty-Third Annual Conference of the North American Chapter of the International Group for the Psychology of Mathematics Education. Eds. Teruni Lamberg & Linda Wiest . Reno, NV: University of Nevada, Reno (2011): 1529-1537. Print.
Assistant Professor of Education
- "Bridging the Gap for Beginning Teachers: Researcher as Mentor." International Journal of Mentoring and Coaching in Education 3.2 (2014): 171-87. Web.
- "Assessing Student Learning Through Guided Inquiry: A Case Study of a Beginning Teacher." Journal of Education 192.2/3 (2011/2012): 79-87. Print.
- “A Longitudinal Study of Teaching Practice and Early Career Decisions: A Cautionary Tale.” American Educational Research Journal (Feb 1, 2012): 1-37. Web. With Marilyn Cochran-Smith, Patrick McQuillan, Kara Mitchell, Dianna Gahlsdorf Terrell, Joan Barnatt, Cindy Jong, Karen Shakman, Karen Lam, Ann Marie Gleeson.
- “Reflecting on Pupil Learning to Promote Social Justice: A Catholic University's Approach to Assessment.” Catholic Education: A Journal of Inquiry and Practice 13.2 (2009): 157-184. With McQuillan, P.J., D’Souza, L.A., Scheopner, A. J., Miller, G.R., Gleeson, A. M., Mitchell, K., Enterline, S., Cochran-Smith, M.
Assistant Professor Education
- “Changes Observed in Views of Nature of Science During a Historically Based Unit.” Science & Education (January 1, 2013): 1-31. Web: doi: 10.1007/s11191-012-9572-3.With D. Rudge, D. Cassidy, and J. Fulford.
- "An Explicit and Reflective Approach to the Use of History to Promote Understanding of the Nature of Science." Science & Education 18 (2009): 561-580.
- "Henry David Thoreau, Forest Succession & The Nature of Science: A Method for Curriculum Development." The American Biology Teacher 71(7): 397-404.
- Howe, E.M. (October 2007) "Addressing Nature of Science Core Tenets with the History of Science: An Example with Sickle-cell Anemia and Malaria," The American Biology Teacher 69(8), pp 467-472.
- Howe, E.M. 2007. Untangling Sickle-cell Anemia and the Teaching of Heterozygote Protection, Science & Education 16 (1).
- Rudge, D.W. & Howe, E.M. An Explicit and Reflective Approach to the Use of History of Research on Sickle-Cell Anemia to Promote Understanding of the Nature of Science. In McComas, W.F. (ed.) The Nature of Science in Science Education: Rationales and Strategies (2nd. Edition). Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, The Netherlands.- accepted for publication.
- Howe, E.M.: 2006. Using Explicit and Reflective Pedagogy and the History of Science to Affect Students’ Nature of Science Conceptions: Results of an Empirical Study (39pp.), Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of the National Association for Research in Science Teaching, San Francisco, CA.
- Howe, E.M. & Rudge, D.W.: 2005, ‘Recapitulating the History of Sickle-Cell Anemia Research: Improving Students’ NOS Views Explicitly and Reflectively’, Science & Education 14(3-5), pp 423-41.
- Howe, E.M. (2005). Untangling Sickle-cell Anemia and the Teaching of Heterozygote Protection (25pp.). Proceedings of the Eighth International History, Philosophy Science Teaching Group Meeting, (Leeds, England).
- Rudge, D.W. & Howe, E.M.: ;2004, ‘How to Use History of Science to Promote Student Understanding of Nature of Science’, The Science Teacher 71(9), 51-57.
- Howe, E.M. (2003, August). Recapitulating the history of sickle-cell anemia research: Improving students’ NOS views explicitly and reflectively (21 ;pp.). In D. Metz (ed.) Proceedings of the Seventh International History, Philosophy Science Teaching Group Meeting, (Winnipeg, Canada).
Assistant Professor of Education
- "Improving Science Education for Future Teachers," Co-authored with Patricia S. Reisert in Journal of College Science Teaching, February 1999, pp. 278-283.
Lecturer in Education
- Collaborative Individualized Education Process: RSVP to IDEA (Pearson/Merrill/Prentice Hall, 2008).
Assistant Professor of Education
“Chapter 11: Teacher Preparation and Students with Behavioral Disorders.” Behavioral Disorders: Practice Concerns and Students with EBD; Advances in Special Education. Eds. J.P. Bakken, F. E. Obiakor, & A. Rotatori. Vol. 23. Bingley, UK: Emerald Group, 2012. 233-263. Print. With Brandi Simonsen & George Sugai.
- “Explicitly Teaching Social Skills Schoolwide: Using a Matrix to Guide Instruction.” Intervention in School and Clinic 47.5 (May 2012): 259-266. Print. With Brandi Simonsen, Susannah Everett, George Sugai, Rebecca Spencer, and Chris LaBreck.
- “Illinois Statewide Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports: Evolution and Impact on Student Outcomes Across the Years.” Journal of Positive Behavioral Interventions 14.1 (January 2012): 5-16. Print. With Brandi Simonsen, Lucille Eber, Anne C. Black, George Sugai, Holly Lewandowski, and Barbara Sims.
- “Collaboration in the service of better systems for youth.” Juvenile Justice: Advancing Research, Policy, and Practice. Eds: Francine T. Sherman and Francine H. Jacobs. Wiley, 2011. 433-455. Print. With Anne F. Farrell.
“Increasing Teachers’ Use of Praise with a Response-to-Intervention Approach.” Education and Treatment of Children 34.1 (2011): 35-59. With Brandi Simonsen and George Sugai. Print.
- “Teaching Teachers to Use Prompts, Opportunities to Respond, and Specific Praise.” Teacher Education and Special Education 33.4 (2010): 300-318. Print.
- “Lessons Learned from Implementing a Check-in/Check-out Behavioral Program in an Urban Middle School.” Beyond Behavior 19.2 (Winter 2010): 21-27. With Donald Briere and Brandi Simonsen. Print.
- “Comparing a Behavioral Check-in/Check-out (CICO) Intervention to Standard Practice in an Urban Middle School Setting Using an Experimental Group Design.” Journal of Positive Behavior Interventions 13 (2010): 31-48. With B. Simonsen and D. Briere III. Print
- "Providing Teachers with Training and Performance Feedback to Increase Use of Three Classroom Management Skills: Prompts, Opportunities to Respond, and Reinforcement." Teacher Education Special Education 33 (2010) 300-318. With B. Simonsen and C. DeLuca. Print.
- "Reclaiming Lost Opportunities: Applying Public Health Models in Juvenile Justice." Children and Youth Services Review 30 (2008): 1159-1177. With Anne F. Farrell.
- "Evidence-Based Practices in Classroom Management: Considerations for Research to Practice." Education and Treatment of Children 31.3 (2008): 351-380. With B. Simonsen, S. Fairbanks, A. Briesch, and G. Sugai.
- JJ/SE Shared Agenda: Tools for Promoting Educational Success and Reducing Delinquency. NASDSE & NDRN. Washington, D.C.: January 2007. [Contributing author]
Assistant Professor of Education
- "The Awakening of Intellectual Virtue," Journal of Education, Fall 2000. Co-authored with Susan Tauer.
Assistant Professor of Special Education
- "The influence of instructional variables and task constraints on handwriting performance." Journal of Educational Research 106.3 (2013): 216-234. Print. With Fitzpatrick, P. and Cortesa, C.
- “In-depth Analysis of Handwriting Curriculum and Instruction in Four Kindergarten Classrooms.” Reading and Writing 23.6 (June 2010): 673-699. With Paula Fitzpatrick and Cathryn Cortesa.
- Social Inclusion in Supported Employment Settings. (New York: Garland, 2000.)
Associate Professor of English
- "Perimeter Watch: Three American Soldiers Write About the Iraq War."International Journal of Literary Humanities 11.2 (2014): 37-47. Print.
"Satyagraja and Literary Studies: Strategies for Inclusion of Literature in an Interdisciplinary Peace Studies Course." Journal of Gandhian Studies 5 (fall/winter 2007).
Finnegan's Wake," The Explicator, Winter 2001.
Associate Professor of English
- “Byron.”Edgar Allan Poe in Context, edited by Kevin Hayes. (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2012) 251-259. Print.
- “Wallace Stevens’s Editors at Knopf and the Shape of Opus Posthumous.”ANQ - American Notes and Queries 22. 4 (2009): 50-53. Print.
- “Doch - Alles, was dazu mich trieb / Gott! war so gut! ach war so lieb: Pleasure and Obligation in Faust.” Who are We? Old, New, and Timeless Answers from Core Texts. Eds. Robert D. Anderson, Molly Brigid Flynn, and J. Scott Lee. Lanham: University Press of America, 2011. 133-136. Print.
- “Naturalism and Poetry.” The Oxford Handbook of American Literary Naturalism. Oxford University Press, 2011. 445-62. Print.
- “Adventures in the Book Trade: The Publication History of Harmonium and Ideas of Order." Wallace Stevens Journal 35.1 (spring 2011): 79-97. Print.
- "Williams' Spring and All." An Assumption Library: Essays Presented in Celebration of the 20th Anniversary of the Emmanuel d'Alzon Library. Worcester, Mass.: Assumption College Library, c2008. 70-72.
- The Hermeneutics of Student Evaluations. College Teaching 56.2 (2008): 102-08.
- Augustan American Verse, IN The Oxford Handbook of Early American Literature (Oxford ; New York : Oxford University Press, 2008), pp. 189-214.
- “Criticism in a Post-Critical Age: Three New Books Sort of about Wallace Stevens.” (Rev. Essay). College Literature 32.4 (2005): 200-10.
- Race, Power, and Sociability in Alexander Hamilton's Records of the tuesday Club," The Southern
Literary Journal, 38.1, Fall 2005.
- "Stevens', Ahern, Folk Songs: 'Sur Ma Guzzla
Gracile'," The Wallace Stevens Journal, Fall 2004.
- "Richard Lewis's 'Journey' in Context? It's Thomson's Seasons, not The Seasons,"
ANQ: A Quarterly Journal of Short Articles, Notes, and Reviews, Spring 2004.
- "Louis Zukofsky in Kentucky in History," College Literature,
30.4, Fall 2003, pp. 71-88.
- "The Two Samuel Hastings: The Maryland Gazette and the Conceptualization of Labor in Colonial Maryland." Southern Studies, new series 9.1 (1998; published in 2002): 13-36.
- "Maryland's First Essay of LATIN POETRY in English Dress and the Conceptualization of Cultural Change in Colonial Maryland." Early American Literature, 37.2, Spring 2002.
- A History of Free Verse. Fayetteville: University of Arkansas Press, 2001.
- "Ebenezer Cooke's Satires, Calculated to the Meridian of Maryland."
Early American Literature, 33.1 (1998): 62-85.
- "The Ornithological Autobiography of John James Audubon." Reading the Earth: New Directions in the Study of Literature and the Environment. Eds. Michael Branch, et al. Moscow: University of Idaho Press, 1998. 119-28.
- "Carl Sandburg's Unnatural Relations." Essays in Literature, 22.1 (1995): 97-122.
- "Marianne Moore's and John James Audubon's Frigate Pelican." Sagetrieb, 13.4 (1994): 51-70.
- "Wallace Stevens and Ludwig Richter." The Wallace Stevens
Journal, 18.2 (1994): 197-206.
- "Stevens' 'Loneliness in Jersey City.'" The Explicator, 51.1 (1992): 33-38.
- "Stevens' Times poems and Their Coos." The Wallace Stevens Journal, 16.2 (1992): 136-50.
- Imaginative Publications:
- "Coffee Poems," The Coffee Press Journal, 6-3, May/June 2006.
- "Hera Learns of Io." The Formalist, 4.2 (1993): 108.
- "Descent from Avernus." Groundwater. Lexington, KY: The Lexington Press, 1992. 32-44.
- "[Down from that which]." Through the Gap.
Lexington, KY: The Lexington Press, 1990. 4-5.
Assistant Professor of English
Associate Professor of English
- "The British and Irish Ghost Story and Tale of the Supernatural: 1880-1945."A Companion to the British and Irish Short Story. Eds. Cheryl Alexander Malcolm, David Malcolm. Chichester, U.K.: Wiley-Blackwell, 2008.
Professor Emerita of English
- Co-Editor: "In Worcester, Massachusetts:" Essays on Elizabeth Bishop. (Peter Lang, 1999) PS3503.I785 Z638 1999
- Images of Women in American Popular Culture. Co-authored with John McClymer, et al. (San Diego: Harcourt Brace Jovanovitch, 1985).
Visiting Instructor of English
- In My Father's House. Spokane, WA: Lynx House Press, 2012.
- “Boy Struck by Lightning Survives.” Poetry Daily (September 17th, 2012). Web. < http://poems.com/poem.php?date=15600 >
“Dog Chained to Radiator in Abandoned Apartment; Upon Reading that a Noisy Cloth Factory Separated the Family Homes of Sandro Botticelli and Amerigo Vespucci.” Agni (Boston University) 73 (Spring 2011): 59-62. Print.
- “Shark Week.” Alaska Quarterly Review 28.3,4 (Fall/Winter 2011): 257. Print.
Heaven & Earth Holding Company. University of Pittsburgh Press, 2010.
"Sorrow." Ploughshares 35.4 (Winter 2009): 104.
- "For the Man With the Erection Lasting More Than Four Hours." Poetry (July/August 2009): 282.
- "Driving Back From Crotched Mountain, Winter Storm, New Year's Eve." The 2010 Poet's Guide to New Hampshire: More Places,More Poets. Ed. John-Michael Albert. The Poetry Society of New Hampshire, 2009.
- "This Day." The Mysterious Life of the Heart: Writings from The Sun About Passion, Longing and Love. Eds. Sy Safransky, Andrew Snee, et. al. Chapel Hill, N.C.: Sun Publishing Company, 2009.
- "Dog Dying." 5AM 28 (spring 2009).
- "Levertov's The Poet in the World." An Assumption Library: Essays Presented in Celebration of the 20th Anniversary of the Emmanuel d'Alzon Library. Worcester, Mass.: Assumption College Library, c2008. 108-109.
- "Teachers," "For the Hell of It," and "Finding My Dead Father at the Worcester Art Museum." The Worcester Review XXIX.1&2 (fall 2008).
- "Cross Country" and "Girl on a People Mover." Field Museum 79 (fall 2008).
- "High Tide," "Watson,""Poem to be Read at 30,000 Feet," and "Upon Reading That Abraham Lincoln Spent His summer Nights as President at a Cottage on the Grounds of the Soldiers’ Home on the Outskirts of Washington Rather Than at the White House, and That He and Edwin M. Stanton, His Secretary of War, Spent the Better Part of One Evening Freeing Two Peacocks That Had Become Entangled in a Tree." Beloit Poetry Journal 58.4 (summer 2008).
Guest Editor, Beloit Poetry Journal’s Poet’s Forum, August 2008.
- "Watson." Poetry Daily (June 12, 2008).
- "Just a Tranquil Darker," Slate Magazine (May 2008).
- "Upon Reading That Tatiana Yakoleva, Mayakovsky’s Lover Separated from Him by the Stalinist Purges, Had Married and Was Four Months Pregnant When Mayakovsky Killed Himself," and "Upon Reading a Poem Entitled 'Upon Seeing a Former Lover Pull Up Next toMe at the Intersection of Metaphysics Lane and Memorial Drive'." Willow Springs 61 (spring 2008).
- "Overflow." Redactions 10 (summer 2007).
- "Girl With Her Tongue Stuck Out" and "Sleep Comes to Mary Todd Lincoln." Crazyhorse 71 (spring 2007).
- "Driving Back From Crotched Mountain, Winter Storm, New Year’s Eve." Slate Magazine (June 5, 2007).
- "Lost Bird," "What Becomes a Star Each Night, and Rises," "Dose," and "A Recollection." The Worcester Review, v. XXVII(1&2),Fall2006.
- Grace. Pittsburgh, Penn. : University of Pittsburgh Press, c2006.
Winner of the 2005 Donald Hall Prize in Poetry, awarded by the Association of Writers and Writing Programs.
- "Blue Plate Special #2:" (For the Leapers; Manifest Destiny; On Finding, In a Book of Poems...; My Mother Swimming; Upon Being Called Mature and Together; For the Waitresses at the Bars Outside Fenway Park; Today; For the Man Who Spun Plates)
Diner, Fall/Winter 2002.
- Bread Without Sorrow : Poems . Spokane, Wash. : Lynx House Press, c2001.
Lecturer in English
- “Freeing the Feminine Identity: The Egg as Transformative Image in the Magical Realism of Angela Carter and Margaret Atwood.” Making Connections: Interdisciplinary Approaches to Cultural Diversity 14.2 (2013): 19-26. Web.
Professor of English
- "The Black Image in the White Northern Mind: Representations of African Americans by the Special Artists of Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper." First Hand: Civil War Drawings in the Becker Collection. Eds. Judith Bookbinder and Sheila Gallagher. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2009. 75-113.
- "Northern Visions of Race, Region and Reform in the Press and the Letters of Freedmen and Freedmen's Teachers, 1861-1871."
Winner of a 2007 Award of Merit for Leadership in History from the American Association of State and Local History
- E Pluribus Unum website (http://www.assumption.edu/ahc/) co-authored with Prof. John McClymer.
Selected for an EDSITEment aware as one of the best resources for education in the humanities.
- "'In Usum Pupillorum:' Student-Transcribed Texts at Harvard College Before 1740." The Proceedings of the American Antiquarian Society 109.1 (April 1999). Co-authored with Thomas Knoles.
- "Ersatz Learning, Inauthentic Testing." Journal on Excellence in College Teaching (1992). Co-authored with John McClymer.
Assistant Professor of English
Associate Professor of English
Assistant Professor of English
- "The Politics of Queenship in Francis Bacon's The History of the Reign of King Henry VII and John Ford's Perkin Warbeck." Studies in Philology 111.2 (2014): 312-45. Print.
- "Richard III's Forelives: Rewriting Elizabeth(S) In Tudor Historiography." Medieval & Renaissance Drama In England 26.(2013): 156-183. Print.
- "Richard III." Shakespeare Bulletin 28.2 (2“Richard III.” Shakespeare Bulletin 28.2 (2010): 263-270. Print.
Professor of English
- “Storytelling and the Consequences of Recognizing the Humanity of the Other in Literature from Israel/Palestine.” The International Journal of Civic, Political, and Community Studies 10.2 (2013): 25–31. Web. http://ijh.cgpublisher.com/product/pub.26/prod.2193 .
- “Reading for Peace: A Possible New Direction in the Humanities.” The International Journal of the Humanities 9.8 (2012): 13-22. Web. http://annmurphy.cgpublisher.com/product/pub.26/prod.2193 .
- “Stranger in the Empire: Language and Identity in the Mother Country.” EnterText. January 2010.
- "Eliot's Middlemarch." An Assumption Library: Essays Presented in Celebration of the 20th Anniversary of the Emmanuel d'Alzon Library. Worcester, Mass.: Assumption College Library, c2008. 47-48.
- Emily Davies: Collected Letters, 1861-1875. University Press of Virginia. 2004. (With Deirdre Raftery).
- “On Behalf of ‘Opportunities of Intellectual Advancement’ for Women: Emily Davies and the Rhetoric of Victorian Feminism,” Nineteenth-Century Feminisms, Spring/Summer, 2003.
- “Opening Universities to Women: Quarrels and Ideologies,” Intellectual News, Publication of the International Society for Intellectual History, Spring, 2003.
- “Aesthete to Radical to...? What Have We Gained and What Have We Lost?” On-line conference proceedings, Woolf Across the Generations Conference.
- “Henry Sidgwick,” essay for Grolier Encyclopedia of the Victorian Era.
- “Becoming Part of History,” The Victorian Review. Vol. 27, No. 1, 2001.
- "Women's Learning, Women's Work: Virginia Woolf's Relevance for the Twenty-first Century," IN Ardis, Ann and Bonnie Kime Scott, eds., Virginia Woolf: Turning the Centuries (Pace University Press, 2000) Co-authored with Jeanne McNett.
- "The Borders of Ethical, Erotic, and Artistic Possibilities in Little Women," published in Signs: Journal of Women in Society. (Spring, 1990).
- "Transference and Resistance in Basic Writing Classes," published in College Composition and Communication. (May, 1989).
- “The Process of Personality in Chaucer’s Wife of Bath’s Tale,” published in The Centennial Review, Vol. XXVIII, No. 3 (Summer, 1984).
Assistant Professor of English
- "Rediscovering and Reconstituting the Past: The Legacy of Thomas Coram's Foundling Hospital." Encountering Ephemera 1500-1800: Scholarship, Performance, Classroom. Ed. Joshua B. Fisher and Rebecca Steinberger. Newcastle: Cambridge Scholars, 2012. 215-38. Print.
- “Building Romanticism: Literature and Architecture in Nineteenth-Century Britain.” Eighteenth-Century Fiction 25.1 (Fall 2012): 283-285. Print.
- "The Literary History of the Sash Window." Eighteenth-Century Fiction 22.2 (Winter 2009): 171-194. Print.
- "Defoe's Robinson Crusoe." An Assumption Library: Essays Presented in Celebration of the 20th Anniversary of the Emmanuel d'Alzon Library. Worcester, Mass.: Assumption College Library, c2008. 28-30.
- "The Language of Urbanization in John Stow’s Survey of London." Philological Quarterly, 3.4 (2006): 247-270.
- "Buying and Selling Luxury in Seventeenth-Century England." Titled Review Essay. The Eighteenth Century: Theory and Interpretation. 47 (supplement): (2006).
- "Redefining, Rediscovering, and Rewriting Early Modern London," Journal for Early Modern Cultural Studies, Fall/Winter 2003.
- "China and the Ideal Order in John Webb's An Historical Essay..." Journal of the History of Ideas, July 2001.
Assistant Professor of English
- "Beckett's Endgame." An Assumption Library: Essays Presented in Celebration of the 20th Anniversary of the Emmanuel d'Alzon Library. Worcester, Mass.: Assumption College Library, c2008. 97-98.
- "De-oedipalizing Beckett." Transnational Beckett: Beckett at 100: New Perspectives. Ed. S.E. Gontarski. Tallahassee, Fla.: Journal of Beckett Studies Books, c2008. 169-83.
- "Hamm Stammered: Beckett, Deleuze, and the Atmospheric Stuttering of Endgame." SamuelBeckett's Endgame. Amsterdam: Rodopi, 2007.
Professor of English
- “With 'Middle C,' Gass Delivers a Tale of a Man Struggling to Be Moral," Boston Globe, March 30, 2013. G5.
- "Late Fall, Early Snow." Slush Pile. Ed. Rachel Branwen. Apr. 2009.
- "Release from Hiroshima Hospital" and "A Streetcar." Great River Review 49 (Fall-Winter, 2008): 26-28.
- "McCarthy's The Road." An Assumption Library: Essays Presented in Celebration of the 20th Anniversary of the Emmanuel d'Alzon Library. Worcester, Mass.: Assumption College Library, c2008. 144-146.
- "Letter to Hortsch from Middle Age." The Worcester Review, V. XXVII, No.1&2, Fall 2006.
- "A Narrative of Adverse Possession," Confrontation Magazine, 94/95, Spring/Summer 2006.
- “John Hodgen and the Poetry of Purgatory,” The Worcester Review, V. XXVII, No.1&2, Fall 2006.
- "So This is Short Hills," The Journal, 29.1, Spring/Summer 2005.
- "Master of None," Natural Bridge: A Journal of Contemporary Literature, no. 13, Spring 2005.
- "Immigrant," The Alembic, Spring 2005.
- "Even This Is an Advertisement" and "A Tour of the Premises." The Journal 27.1 (Spring-Summer 2003): 40-41.
- "Episode from the Vulgar Tongue of 1811: A Dictionary of Buckish Slang, University Wit, and Pickpocket Eloquence." The Worcester Review 24 (2003): 105-07.
- "Minnesota," Slate Magazine, Dec. 9, 2003.
- "In Which 'Acts Have Consequences': Ideas of Moral Order in the Qualified Postmodernism of Pynchon's Recent Fiction," IN Copestake, Ian, ed., American Postmodernity: Essays on the Recent Fiction of Thomas Pynchon (Peter Lang, 2003).
- "How To Do It," Diner, Fall/Winter 2002.
- "There's No Word Longer than a Loaded Gun," The Worcester Review , 23:2.
- "Note to Father from December," "The Night I Left for Good," "Maps," "Grandfather's Garage," "Letter to Aiken from the Breakdown Lane," "On Visiting Kerouac's Grave," "A Periodic Table of the Elements," and "Accounts," Diner, Spring/Summer 2002.
- "The Fourth Amendment and Other Modern Inconveniences: Undeclared War, Organized Labor, and the Abrogation of Civil Rights in Vineland ," IN Abbas, Niran, ed. Thomas Pynchon: Reading from the Margins (Fairleigh Dickinson, 2002).
- "The Narrative Structure of Barry Hannah's 'Water Liars'," Mississippi Quarterly, Spring 2001 (Special issue).
- "Thomas Pynchon's Political Parable: Parallels between Vineland and 'Rip van Winkle,'"ANQ: A Quarterly Journal of Short Articles, Notes, and Reviews, Summer 2001.
- "At the MLA." Henry Street: A Graduate Review of Literary Studies, Spring 2000.
- "The Girl whose Voice was her Aunt's: Heredity and Identity in Elizabeth Bishop's 'In the Waiting Room'" IN Dorenkamp, Angela, ed. "In Worcester, Massachusetts:" Essays on Elizabeth Bishop.
- "The President's Emergency War Powers and the Erosion of Civil Liberties in Pynchon's Vineland," Oklahoma City University Law Review, Fall 1999.
- "Brotherly Love." American Literary Review. Spring 1998.
- "Garbage Collector" in 1996 Pedagogy Papers: the Associated Writing Programs 1996 Annual Conference, Atlanta Georgia, edited by Laurie Drummond, p. 115.
- "Poor Ernest's Almanac: the Petty Economies of 'Fifty Grand's' Jack Brennan" in Hemingway Review, Spring 1994, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 24-36.
- "Most Dangerous Name: Salman Rushdie Speaks." North Atlantic Review 6. (1994): 308-310.
- "Notes from My First Week at the University of Nebraska." South Dakota Review 32 (spring 1994): 36-46.
- "Changes of Direction." North Atlantic Review 5 (1993): 314-317.
- "The Economy of Consumption: the Entropy of Leisure in Pynchon's Vineland" in Pynchon Notes, Spring/Fall 1992, vol. 30-31, pp. 52-61.
- "Lighter Than Air." Minnesota Monthly (Nov. 1987): 42-46.
- "Entremont." Lower Stumpf Lake Review 19 (1984): 58-59.
True, Michael D.
Professor Emeritus of English
- "Activists, Academics, and Peace Studies." The Peace Chronicle (spring 2008): 11.
- "Christian Pacifism in the United States: A History and Development Since the 17th Century" and "The American Tradition of Nonviolence" IN Les Mouvements Pacifistes Américains et Francais, Hier et Aujourd’hui: Actes du Colloque des 5, 6 et 7 Avril 2007 à l’Université de Savoie (Chambéry : Université de Savoie, Laboratoire langages, littératures, sociétés, 2007).
- "On Being There--India, That Is" IN Beyond Boundaries: Reflections of Indian and U.S. Scholars (iUniverse, 2007).
- People Power: Fifty Peacemakers and Their Communities (Rawat Publications, Jaipur/Delhi, 2007).
- Introduction. Christian Non-Resistance. Eds. Adin Ballou, Lynn Gordon Hugnes. Providence: Blackstone Editions, 2003.
- The Frontiers of Nonviolence (International Peace Research Association, 1998) co-edited.
- An Energy Field More Intense Than War: the Non-violent Tradition and American Literature (Syracuse, N. Y.: Syracuse University Press, 1995).
- The Literatures of Both Sides of the World: Contemporary Chinese and American Literatures and Their Comparative Studies. Co-edited with Chen Liao and Zhang Aiqing (Nanjing: Nanjing University Press, 1993). In Chinese.
- 'To Construct Peace': 30 More Justice Seekers, Peacemakers (Mystic, Conn.: XXIII Publications, 1992).
- Ordinary People: Family Life and Global Values (Maryknoll, N. Y.: Orbis Books, 1991).
- Daniel Berrigan: Poetry, Drama, Prose [Editor] (Maryknoll, N. Y.: Orbis Books, 1988).
- Worcester Area Writers: 1680-1980 (Worcester: Worcester Public Library, 1987).
- Justice Seekers, Peacemakers: 32 Portraits in Courage (Mystic, Conn.: XXIII Publications, 1985).
- Homemade Social Justice: Teaching Peace and Justice in the Family (Chicago: Fides/Claretian, 1982).
- Worcester Poets, With Notes Toward a Literary History (Worcester:Worcester County Poetry Association, 1972).
- "The Tradition of Non-violence: The American Experience and the Gandhian," Journal of Human Values, July-December 1998.
- "Nonviolence in Cultural Contexts: An Enquiry Concerning Pedagogy," Gandhi Marg, October-December 1998.
- "The 1989 Democratic Uprising in China: a Nonviolent Perspective" in Legacy and Future of Nonviolence, edited by Mahendra Kumar and Peter Low (New Delhi: Gandhi Peace Foundation, 1996).
- "A Social Critic with Humor and Mystery" in Apostle of Peace: Essays in Honor of Daniel Berrigan, edited by John Dear (Maryknoll, N.Y.: Orbis Books, 1996), pp. 167-171.
- "Peace 'Within' and 'Without'" in Friends Journal, Dec. 1996.
- "Global Nonviolence: 'the Polish Disease' Spreads 'Round the World" in Peacework, Oct. 1996, no. 267, pp. 18-19.
- "On Being Labeled a Pacifist" in Worcester Magazine, June 26, 1996, p. 5.
- "Gandhi Lives" in Worcester Magazine, Jan. 24, 1996, p. 5.
- Essays on Stephen Dobyns, Stephen Dunn, Barbara Guest, Ramon Guthrie, Joy Harjo, David Ignatow, X. J. Kennedy, Stanley Kunitz, John L'Hereux, Larry Rubin, L. E. Sissman, Dave Smith, Ken Smith, Jon Stallworthy, Bruce Weigl, Reed Whittemore, C. K. Williams, and Marya Zaturenska in Contemporary Poets (various editions, publishers, and editors).
- "Knowledge Without Character: Power, the University, and the Violence of the Status Quo" in World Without Violence: Can Gandhi's Vision Become Reality?, edited by Arun Gandhi (New Delhi: Wiley Eastern Ltd./New Age International Ltd., 1995), pp. 313-318.
- "Nonviolence, Peace Movements, and Social Activism" in Peace and World Security Studies: a Curriculum Guide, edited by Michael Klare (Lynne Rienner Publications, 1994), pp. 396-405.
- "Nonviolence and Contemplation: the Legacy of Thomas Merton" in Fellowship, Nov./Dec. 1994, vol. 60, no. 11-12, pp. 10-11.
- "300 Participants Attend Annual COPRED Conference in St. Paul" in International Peace Research Newsletter, Oct. 1994, vol. 31, no. 3, p. 389.
- "Gandhi's 125th Birthday: Celebrating the Mahatma (Great Soul)" in Worcester Magazine, Oct. 5 1994, p. 5.
- "Kindergarten ROTC: a Modest Proposal" in Worcester Magazine , July 6, 1994, p. 5.
- "William Stafford: Down in Our Hearts" in Spectrum, Spring/Summer 1994, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 40-44.
- "Prayer and Reconciliation" in Peacework, Mar. 1994, no. 239, p. 6.
- "To Reform America--the Nonviolent Solution" in Worcester Magazine , Feb. 26, 1994, p. 5.
- "The Meaning of Things: an American Creed" in Worcester Magazine , Dec. 1, 1993, p. 5.
- "The Tradition of Protest in American Literature" in Social Alternatives (Australia), Oct. 1993, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 19-22.
- "Which Is Your Guide? Faith or Religion?" in Worcester Magazine , Sept. 22, 1993, p. 5.
- "Kenneth Bouldings Legacies...for Nonviolence" in COPRED Peace Chronicle, July 1993, vol. 1, no. 2/3.
- "The Decline and Fall of the Church as an Institution" in Worcester Magazine, June 16, 1993, p. 5.
- "All the News That Fits, and That's About It" in Worcester Magazine , April 21, 1993, p. 5.
- "Seize the Day!" in Fellowship, April/May 1993, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 7, 28.
- "Ammon Hennacy, 1893-1993" in Fellowship, Mar. 1993, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 4, 31.
- "XIVth General Conference of IPRA, Kyoto: a Brief Report" in International Peace Research Association Newsletter, Jan. 1993, vol. 30, no. 4/ vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 4-6.
- "Celebrating Robert Bly, But Taking Him To Task As Well" in Walking Swiftly: Writings & Images on the Occasion of Robert Bly's 65th Birthday , edited by Thomas R. Smith (St. Paul, Minn.: Ally Press, 1992) and (New York: Harper and Row, 1992), pp. 236-243.
- "Nonviolence in Cultural Contexts: China" in Interdisciplinary Research (Australia), Oct./Nov. 1992, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 72-77.
- "Teaching Values to Kids" in Maryknoll, July 1992, pp. 53-55.
- "Teaching Nonviolence" in Peace Studies Bulletin, Spring 1992, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 12-14.
- "Report from North Korea" in Fellowship, Jan./Feb. 1992, vol. 58, no. 1-2 pp. 18-19.
- "Beyond the Tragedy in Beijing" in Peacework: 20 Years of Nonviolent Social Change (Baltimore: Fortkamp Publishing Co., 1991), pp. 244-246.
- "North Korean Journal" in Peacework, Sept. 1991, pp. 8-9.
- "A New North Korea" in Sunday Telegram (Worcester), Sept. 15, 1991.
- "Teaching Peace" in Fellowship, Sept. 1991, vol. 57, no. 9, pp. 18-19.
- "Henry David Thoreau 'Returns' to Worcester" in Catholic Free Press, July 15, 1991, p. 5.
- "Catholic Higher Education: Means and Ends" in Catholic Free Press , June 7, 1991, p. 5.
- "China: Consequences of Tiananmen Square" in Peacework, June 1990, pp. 9-10.
- "Repression Chinese-style" in Worcester Magazine, April 18, 1990, p. 2.
- "Ammon, Catholic Radical" in Catholic Worker, Jan./Feb. 1990, pp. 1-5.
- "China: Nonviolence and the Pro-Democracy Movement" in Pax Christi USA, Winter 1989, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 11-12.
- "Beyond the Tragedy in Beijing: Nonviolence and the Pro-Democracy Movement" in Peacework, July/Aug. 1989, no. 188, pp. 1-3.
- "Travels in China Reveal Suffering, Friendship" in Sunday Telegram (Worcester), July 16, 1989, pp. A4-A5.
- "Last Days in China Raised Deep Concern--Beyond Beijing: China Journal" in Sunday Telegram (Worcester), June 25, 1989, pp. A4-A5.
- "Age of Treachery Again Triumphant: China Falls Victim to an Ancient Adage" in Sunday Telegram (Worcester), June 18, 1989, pp. A4-A5.
- "Peace Studies and Activism: Connections" in Peacework, May 1989, no. 187, pp. 10-11.
- Foreword and afterword to Selected Poems of T. S. Eliot (Chengdu: Sichuan Literature and the Arts Press, 1988) In Chinese.
- "A China Report" in Peacework, Oct. 1987, no. 169, pp. 12-13.
- "Christianity and 'the Chinese Way'" in Catholic Free Press, July 24, 1987, p. 8.
- "Rebirth of Christian Churches in China" in Catholic Free Press , July 17, 1987, p. 8.
- "Professor Reflects on Changes in China" in Catholic Free Press, July 10, 1987, p. 8.
- "The Bishop's Pastoral on Campus: a Meeting Place for Town and Gown" in Colleges & Universities, (Washington, D. C.: United States Catholic Conference, 1987), pp. 6-8.
- "Stanley Kunitz' Grammar of a Life" in Milkweed Chronicle, 1987, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 20-22.
- "1915-85: Modernism and Postmodernism in American Literature" in New Developments in the Study of Foreign Literature, edited by Zhang Yue Qiau (Nanjing: Nanjing University Press, 1986) In Chinese.
- "Parenting and the Bishops' Economic Pastoral: Advent Reflections" Co-authored with Mary Pat True in Catholic Free Press, Dec. 19, 1986, p. 2.
- "Seventy-five Years Later: the Spirit of Maryknoll Lives" in Catholic Free Press, Oct. 17, 1986, p. 7.
- "The Indispensable Arts: the Persistent Humanity of Denise Levertov" in Milkweed Chronicle, Spring/Summer 1986, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 38-40.
- "The Indispensable Arts: an Introduction" in Milkweed Chronicle , Winter 1986, vol. 7, no. 1, pp.12-13.
- "Art, Society, and the Catholic Worker" in Harvard Divinity Bulletin, Feb./March 1986, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 8-11.
- "A Woman from Maine Who Changed the World" in Church World , Jan. 2, 1986, pp. 1, 3-4.
- "A New Era Developing for the Church in China?" in Catholic Free Press, Sept. 20, 1985, p. 5.
- "One Magical Step Down the Yangtze River" in Boston Sunday Globe , June 16, 1985, Travel Section.
- "The Uses of Power" in Milkweed Chronicle, Spring/Summer 1985, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 30-31.
- "1915-1918: Modernism and Postmodernism in American Literature" in Journal of Xingtai Education Institute, 1985, vol. 2, pp. 7-14.
- "Nanjing: City of the Dragon and the Tiger" in Boston Sunday Globe , Feb. 24, 1985, Travel Section.
- "'The Topography of Golgotha': Wilfred Owen, the Church, and the First World War" in Spectrum, 1985, vol. 1, pp. 23-30.
- "Educating for Justice and Peace: Home, Parish, and Community" in Christian Adulthood: a Catechetical Resource, edited by Neil A. Parent (Washington, D. C.: United States Catholic Conference, 1985).
- "The Case for Cardinal John Newman's Canonization: a Process Progress Report" in Catholic Free Press, April 22, 1983, p. 7.
- "Imaging a Human Future Minus Nukes" in Catholic Free Press , Feb. 11, 1983, p. 2.
- "Homemade Social Justice" in Salt, July/Aug. 1982, vol. 2, no. 7, pp. 15-19.
- "Lewis: Making Art Serve Ideology" in Worcester Magazine, May 26, 1982,
- "Religious Art" in America, April 3, 1982, p. 259.
- "Poet in Controversy: Robert Bly Returns to Worcester" in Worcester Magazine, March 17, 1982, pp. 35-36.
- "Who Killed the Humanities?" in Kabekonah Journal, 1982, pp. 22-25.
- "Having Come to This Place" in Blessed Are the Peacemakers: Meditations and Resources on Nuclear Disarmament, (Worcester, Mass.: Diocese of Worcester, 1982), pp. 40-45.
- "Modernism, The Dial, and the Way They Were" in The Dial: Arts and Letters of the 1920s--an Anthology of Writings, edited by Gaye L. Brown (Worcester Art Museum/ University of Massachusetts Press, 1981), pp. 5-13.
- "Karl Shapiro" in American Writers: a Collection of Literary Biographies, II, 2, edited by A. Walton Litz (New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1981), pp. 701-724.
- "The Mausoleum Mentality and the Graves of Academe" in Roundtable Reports: Journal of Museum Education, Summer 1981, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 13-16.
- "The Many Voices of The Dial" in The Visionary Company: a Magazine of the Twenties, 1981, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 82-101.
- "American Pacifism and Catholic Radicalism" in Confrontation , Winter 1981, no. 21, pp. 153-161.
- "Sources of the Nonviolent Tradition in American Literature" in War or Peace? The Search for New Answers, edited by Thomas A. Shannon (Maryknoll, N.Y.: Orbis Books, 1980), PP. 104-118.
- "The Most Remarkable Person in the History of American Catholicism" in Catholic Free Press, Dec. 5, 1980, p. 13.
- "Only the Art Was Uplifting" in Sunday Telegram (Worcester) , Nov. 30, 1980, pp. 1E-2E.
- "J. F. Powers, Flannery O'Connor, and Their Satiric Muse" in America, Oct. 4, 1980, pp. 183-185.
- "Newman's Third Spring" Co-authored with Gerald McCarthy in Cross Currents, Summer 1980, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 151-152.
- "Muriel Rukeyser: Persistent Rebel" in Christian Century, May 21, 1980, vol. 97, no. 19.
- "Teaching Poetry: Many Teachers Don't" in English Journal, May 1980, vol. 69, no. 5.
- "To Whom is the Teacher of Literature Responsible?" in Chronicle of Higher Education, March 10, 1980.
- "Thomas Paine" in American Writers, I, 2, edited by Leonard Unger (New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1979), pp. 501-525.
- "Edmund Burke and Thomas Paine: Friendship Before Argument" in Lamar Journal of the Humanities, Fall 1979, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 6-10.
- "Allen Tate as Teacher and Poet" in Cross Currents, Fall 1979, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 324-330.
- "Kunitz's Latest: Worcester's Pulitzer Winner Publishes a New Book of Poems" in Worcester Magazine, July 26, 1979.
- "Confessions of a College Teacher at Mid-Career" in Chronicle of Higher Education, Feb. 5, 1979, p. 36.
- "Journey of a Pilgrimage" in Campus Ministry Report, May/June 1979, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 1-4.
- "Again, a Time to Celebrate Cardinal Newman: a Giant from a Century Ago" in Catholic Free Press, May 11, 1979, p. 6.
- "Forgotten Women" in Ms., May 1979, p. 56.
- "Religion and Modern Literature" in Harvard Divinity Bulletin, Dec. 1978/Jan. 1979, vol. 9, no. 2.
- "Images of a Lost Generation" in Worcester Magazine, Oct. 1978, p. 33.
- "The Changing Church and J. F. Powers" in America, Sept. 30, 1978, pp. 202-204.
- "Reflections on The Age Demanded an Image, 1913-1929" in Journal (Worcester Art Museum), 1977/78, vol. 1, pp. 39-44.
- "A People's Parish: the Wisconsin Community of the Living Spirit" in Commonweal, Aug. 5, 1977, pp. 496-499.
- "The Comic Genius of Flannery O'Connor" in America, Sept. 24, 1977, vol. 137, no. 8, pp. 67-169.
- "The Four American Catholic Churches" in National Catholic Reporter, June 1977.
- "Our Region Possesses a Rich Literary Tradition" in Sunday Telegram (Worcester), April 24, 1977, pp. 1E, 5E.
- "The Memory of Justice and Lovejoy's Nuclear War" in Cross Currents , 1977, vol. 26, p. 32.
- "To Hear a Human Sound" in Chronicle of Higher Education, Oct. 25, 1977, p. 32.
- "The Wit and Wisdom of Martin D'Arcy" in America, Jan. 8, 1977, vol. 136, no. 1.
- "The Ongoing Revolution" in Flesh and Spirit: a Religious View of Bicentennial America (Washington, D. C.: Community for Creative Nonviolence, 1976), pp. 37-39.
- "Digging in on the Potomac" in Progressive, Nov. 1976, vol. 40, no. 11, p. 28.
- "Have You Ever Really Read It?" in National Catholic Reporter , July 2, 1976, p. 8.
- "James Fenimore Cooper: His Fall and Rise--an Interview with James Franklin Beard" in Bibliognost, 1976, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 2-6.
- "Hannah Arendt and the 'Renewal of Our Common World'" in America, Jan. 24, 1976, vol. 134, no. 4, pp. 73-74.
- "Paul Goodman and the Triumph of American Prose Style" in New Letters, Winter/Spring 1976, vol. 42, no. 2/3, pp. 228-236.
- "Catholic College 'Still Anti-intellectual'" in National Catholic Reporter, Nov. 14, 1975, p. 11.
- "An Alienated Liturgy" in National Catholic Reporter, Nov. 7, 1975, p. 9.
- "From Adolescence to Senility: the Church" in National Catholic Reporter, Oct. 31, 1975, p. 9.
- "The Poets-in-the-Schools Anti-massacre Movement" in English Journal , Oct. 1975, vol. 64, no. 7, pp. 61-63.
- "Local Issues, Cautious Moods: Report from Mid-America" in Commonweal, Sept. 12, 1975, vol. 102, no. 13, pp. 389-390.
- "American Literary Radicals and the Bicentennial: Jefferson to Ginsberg, 1776-1976" in English Journal, Sept. 1975, vol. 64, no. 6, pp. 27-31.
- "John Crowe Ransom, an Anniversary" in America, July 5, 1975, pp. 15-16.
- "Is America Growing Old?" in National Catholic Reporter, July 4, 1975, p. 10.
- "Locking Out the Prison Chaplain: Church and State in Rhode Island" in Commonweal, June 6, 1975, pp. 166-167.
- "People's History" in Catholic Free Press 25th Anniversary Supplement , March 7, 1975, pp. 104ff.
- "The New England CPF: a Regional Approach for the Seventies" in Catholic Peace Fellowship Bulletin, Feb. 1975, pp. 7-8.
- "Divorce and Remarriage: a Meeting of Divorced Catholics" in Commonweal, Nov. 22, 1974, pp. 185-186.
- "Last Resort in Boston: the Busing Controversy" in Commonweal, Oct. 25, 1974, pp. 76-77.
- "Flannery O'Connor--Ten Years Later: an Analysis" in Catholic Free Press, Aug. 16, 1974, p. 6.
- "The Latinization of West Roxbury: the Way it Was" in Commonweal , July 26, 1974, pp. 180-181.
- "Persisters for Peace: CPF Meeting" in Commonweal, April 26, 1974, pp. 180-181.
- "War and Poetry" in Confrontation, Spring 1974, no. 8, 137-144.
- "The Future of the Catholic Peace Movement: an Exchange of Views" Co-authored with Gordon Zahn in Commonweal, March 8, 1974, pp. 14-15.
- "Robert Bly: Radical Poet" in Win, Jan. 15, 1973, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 11-13.
- "The American Tradition of Nonviolence" in Catholic Worker , Oct./Nov. 1973, pp. 4-5.
- "Worcester Radicals" in Holy Cross Quarterly, 1973, vol. 5, no. 3-4, pp. 14-24.
- Introduction. Rags of Time: Season in Prison. Jack Cook. Boston: Beacon Press, 1972.
- "Hopes That Are Still Unrealized: Valedictory or Confrontation" in Catholic Free Press, Nov. 24, 1972, p. 5.
- "Death of a Literary Radical: Paul Goodman, 1911-72" in Commonweal , Sept. 8, 1972, pp. 480-482.
- "The Political Thought of Mulford Sibley" in Commonweal, July 28, 1972, pp. 407-408.
- "On Behalf of the Massachusetts Council to Repeal the Draft" in Selective Service Military Compensation: Hearings Before the Committee on Armed Services, United States Senate, 92nd Congress, First Session (Washington, D.C.: U. S. Government Printing Office, 1971).
- "Catholic Worker Movement Influential Now for 38 Years" in Catholic Free Press, May 1971, p. 3.
- "Did Ecumenism Overkill 'Catholic' Creative Writing?" in Pilot (Boston), Spring Book Supplement, April 24, 1971, p. 7.
- "Requiem for an Anarchist" in Commonweal, Feb. 13, 1970, p. 525.
- "Disillusions and Dark Laughter: the First World War in American Literature" in In Retrospect, Spring 1969, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 1-10.
- "Flannery O'Connor: Backwoods Prophet in the Secular City" in Papers on Language and Literature, 1969, vol. 5, pp. 209-233.
- "Clio, Barbara Thcuman, and the Anarchists: the Muse's Abuse of Past" in Paunch, Dec. 1968, no. 33, pp. 68-72.
- "The Radical Intellectual in the Catacombs: His Disappearance from the U. S. A." in Paunch, April 1968, no. 31, pp. 71-76.
- "Randolph Bourne and the Two Wars" in Catholic Worker, July/Aug. 1967, vol. 33, no. 9, p. 2.
- "Randolph Bourne: Fifty Years Later" in Papers on Language and Literature, Winter 1967, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 86-95.
- "Memoirs of a Painted Lady" in Sooner, July 1966, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 15-17.
- "Writing About Randolph Bourne" in Bulletin of the New York Public Library, 1966, vol. 70, pp. 331-337.
- "The Achievement of an American Literary Radical: a Bibliography of the Writing of Randolph Bourne (1886-1918)" in Bulletin of the New York Public Library, 1965, vol. 69, pp. 523-
Assistant Professor of History
- Rev. of Medieval Medicine: The Art of Healing from Head to Toe, by Luke Demaitre. Medieval Review 05 Jan. 2014: n. pag. IU Scholar Works Repository. Indiana University. Web.
- Rev. of Robert Grosseteste and His Intellectual Milieu: New Editions and Studies, The Dimensions of Colour: Robert Grosseteste's De colore, ed. John Flood, James R. Ginther, and Joseph W. Goering, by Greti Dinkova-Bruun, Giles E. M. Gasper, Michael Huxtable, Tom C. B. McLeish, Cecilia Panti, Hannah Smithson. Isis Sept. 2014: 633-35. Print.
- "Teaching the Mnemonic Bishop in the Medieval Canon Law Classroom." Ed. Sigrid Danielson and Evan A. Gatti. Envisioning the Bishop: Images and the Episcopacy in the Middle Ages. Turnhout: Brepols, 2014. 377-404. Print.
- Rev. of A Social History of Disability in the Middle Ages, by Irina Metzler. H-Disability June 2014: n. pag. H-Net Reviews. June 2014. Web.
- Rev. of Les Chanoines Du Chapitre Cathédral D’Autun: Du XIesiècle à La Fin Du XIVe Siècle., by Jacques Madignier. Speculum 89.2 (2014): 513-5. Print.
- "William of Auvergne on the Dangers of Paradise: Biblical Exegesis Between Natural Philosophy and Anti-Islamic Polemic."Traditio 68 (2013): 233-58. Print.
- Rev. of Difference and Disability in the Medieval Islamic World: Blighted Bodies, by Kristina L. Richardson. H-Disability August 2013: n. pag. H-Net Reviews. June 2014. Web.
- Henry, Archdeacon of Huntingdon. Anglicanus Ortus: A Verse Herbal of the Twelfth Century. Ed. and trans. Winston Black. Toronto: Pontifical Institute of Mediaeval Studies; Oxford: Bodleian Library, 2012.Print. Studies and Texts 180. British Writers of the Middle Ages and Early Modern Period 3.
- "'I Will Add What the Arab Once Taught': Constantine the African in Northern European Medical Verse." Herbs and Healers from the Ancient Mediterranean through the Medieval West: Essays in Honor of John M. Riddle. Ed. Anne Van Arsdall and Timothy Graham. Aldershot: Ashgate, 2012. 153-85. Print. Medicine in the Medieval Mediterranean 4.
- A 16th Century Italo-Byzantine Cross. Piscataway, NJ: Gorgias, 2012. Print. With Sheila D. Campbell, Nerida Newbigin, and Domenico Pietropaolo.
- Rev. of Handbook for Curates : a Late Medieval Manual on Pastoral Ministry, by Guido of Monte Rochen. Trans by Anne T. Thayer. The Medieval Review 12.06.06 (2012): n. pag. The Medieval Review. Indiana University, 6 June 2012. Web.
- "Henry of Huntingdon’s Lapidary Rediscovered and His Anglicanus Ortus Reassembled." Mediaeval Studies 68 (2006): 43-87. Print.
- "Pre-Columbian America." Georgia CRCT Coach. New York: Educational Design, 2002. 200-07. Print. Social Studies Grade 6.
- “Desert Lands and Resources,” South Carolina PACT Coach. New York: Educational Design, 2002. 76-79. Social Studies Grade 6.
Assistant Professor of History
- The Black Death in Egypt and England: A Comparative Study. University of Texas Press, 2005.
- "Thirty Years after Lopez, Miskimin, and Udovitch," Mamluk Studies Review, VIII, 2004.
- "Nouveau Riche and the Harafiish: Living Standards in London and Cairo after the Black Death," IN Views from the Edge, Columbia University Press, 2004.
- "Environment and Population: The Collapse of Large Irrigation Systems Reconsidered," Comparative Studies in Society & History, 2004.
- "Nile Floods and the Irrigation System in Fifteenth Century Egypt," Mamluk Studies Review, IV, 2000.
Professor of History
- Rev. of La Francophonie Nord-américaine. Histoire Sociale/Social History 47.93 (2014): 257-59. Print.
- "The Other 400th Anniversary: Samuel De Champlain and the French Atlantic Empire." The Worlds of the Seventeenth-Century Hudson Valley. Ed. Jaap Jacobs and L. H. Roper. Albany: Excelsior Editions : State U of New York, 2014. 137-46. Print.
- Rev. of Le destin américain du Québec. Américanité, américanisation et anti-américanisme by Guy Lachapelle. Recherches sociographiques 53.3 (September-December 2012): 688-690. Print.
- “Les rêves américiain et canadien des Jobin. Une famille bourgeoise de Québec aux États-Unis, 1890-1990.” International Journal of Canadian Studies/Revue internationale d’études canadiennes 44.2011.2 (March 2012): 111-118. Print.
- “Un émigrant dauphinois en Alberta: la correspondance de Pierre Gilibert.” E-CRINI, La revue électronique du Centre de recherche sur les identités nationales et l’interculturalité 3.2010(2012): 1-11. Web. < http://www.ecrini.univ-nantes.fr/35354114/0/fiche___pagelibre/&RH=1296724556445 >
- Rev. of Metissage in New France and Canada, 1508-1886 by Devrim Karahasan. Geschichte Transnational (Winter 2012): 1-3. Web. < http://geschichte-transnational.clio-online.net/rezensionen/id=17695&count=970&recno=78&type=rezbuecher&sort=datum&order=down&segment=16>
- “We Too Are Sons of Liberty: Franco-American Ethnic Advocacy in Joseph P. Choquet's Under Canadian Skies, a Historical Novel of the Rebellion of 1837.” Quebec Studies 53: Spring/Summer 2012. 111-126. Print.
- “Population: Immigration.” Musee virtuel de la Nouvelle-France (Fall 2011): 1-27. Web: http://www.civilisations.ca/musee-virtuel-de-la-nouvelle-france.
- “Atlantic Migration.” Oxford Bibliographies Online (Atlantic History) (Spring 2011): 1-23. Web: http://oxfordbibliographiesonline.com.
- "La Conversion des Protestants en Nouvelle-France." Les Huguenots et l'Atlantique. Volume 1: Pour Dieu, la Cause ou les Affaires. Eds. Mickaël Augeron, Didier Poton and Bertrand Van Ruymbeke. Paris: Indes Savantes / Presses de l'Université Paris-Sorbonne, c2009- . 305-312.
- "'Quebec et les Autres': Les Minorités Francophones à l'Extérierur du Québec au Congrès de l'ACQS et de l'ACSUS, Québec, novembre 2008." Memoires Vives, bulletin no. 27 (december 2008).
- "Proust's Remembrance of Things Past." An Assumption Library: Essays Presented in Celebration of the 20th Anniversary of the Emmanuel d'Alzon Library. Worcester, Mass.: Assumption College Library, c2008. 62-64.
- "Rhythmes, Flux et Directions des Migrations," IN Mickael Augeron and Marc St-Hilaire, eds., Les Traces de la Nouvelle-France au Quebec et en Poitou-Charentes (Presses de l'Universite Laval, 2008).
- "Religious Diversity: Protestants, Jews, and Catholics," IN 30 Years of Canadian Studies Around the World, International Journal of Canadian Studies, 33-34, 2006.
Editor, French Colonial History, volume 7 (2006) and volume 8 (2007), Michigan State University Press.
- "Proprietorships in French North America," IN Roper, L.H. and B. van Ruymbeke, eds., Constructing Early Modern Empires: Proprietary Ventures in the Atlantic World, 1500-1750. (Brill, 2007)
- "Religious Conversion in New France: The Case of the Amerindians and Immigrants Compared," Québec Studies, vol. 40, Fall 2005/Winter 2006, p. 97-109.
- "La Conversion des protestants en Nouvelle-France," IN Augeron, Mickaël and Bertrand Van Ruymbeke, eds., Les Huguenots et l’Atlantique, forthcoming in 2006
- "Rythmes, flux et directions des migrations," IN Augeron, Mickaël and Marc St-Hilaire, eds., Les Traces de la Nouvelle-France au Québec et en Poitou-Charentes. Un patrimoine à découvrir, une mémoire à partager (Presses de l’Université Laval and Cahiers du Patrimoine, forthcoming in 2006)
- "Émigration et politique coloniale : les cas français et anglais," IN Joutard, Philippe and Thomas Wien, eds., Mémoires de Nouvelle-France: De France en Nouvelle-France (Presses universitaires de Rennes, 2005)
- "L'émigration aunisienne vers la Nouvelle-France, XVIIe-XVIIIe siècles," IN Augeron, Mickaël and Dominique Guillemet, eds., Champlain ou les portes du Nouveau Monde (Geste Éditions, 2004)
- "L'Institut français, (Assumption College Worcester)," IN Rabaska: La Revue d'ethnologie de l'Amérique française, 2004
- "A Colony of 'Native French Catholics?' The Protestants of New France in the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries," IN Van Ruymbeke, Bertrand and Randy Sparks, eds., Memory and Identity: The Huguenots in France and the Atlantic Diaspora (University of South Carolina Press, 2004)
- "L'émigration vers la Nouvelle-France," IN Landry, Yves, ed., Le Peuplement du Canada aux XVIIe et XVIIIe siècles (Centre de Recherche d'Histoire Quantitative, 2004)
- "Institute Preserves College's French Roots," IN Assumption College Celebrates 100th Anniversary, supplement to The Catholic Free Press, April 16, 2004
- "French Colonies: North America," IN Europe, 1450-1789: An Encyclopedia of the Early Modern World, vol. 6. (Scribners, 2003)
- "Interview with Grégoire Chabot," IN Québec Studies, vol. 33, 2002
- "Portrait d'auteur : Grégoire Chabot," IN Francophonies d'Amérique, Summer 2002
- "Le Mythe de la Nouvelle-France en Nouvelle-Angleterre," IN Québec Studies, Spring/Summer 2002
- "Center and Periphery in French North America," IN Daniels, Christine and Michael Kennedy, eds., Negotiated Empires: Centers and Peripheries in the Americas, 1500-1820 (Routledge, 2002)
- "Round-table Discussion of Leslie Choquette's Frenchmen into Peasants, winner of the 1998 Alfred Heggoy Book Prize" (presentation with commentary by Dale Miquelon and Catherine Desbarats), IN French Colonial History, vol. 2, 2002
- "Homosexuals in the City: Representations of Lesbian and Gay Space in Nineteenth-Century Paris," IN Merrick, Jeffrey and Michael Sibalis, eds., Homosexuality in French History and Culture (Harrington Park Press, 2001) Simultaneously co-published IN Journal of Homosexuality, 41 (3/4)
- "Paris-Lesbos: Lesbian Social Space in the Modern City, 1870-1940," IN Proceedings of the Western Society for French History, 26 (University Press of Colorado, 2000)
- "Une colonie de naturels Francois catholiques ? Les Protestants en Nouvelle-France aux XVIIe et XVIIIe siècles," IN Martinière, Guy, Didier Poton, and François Souty, eds., D'un rivage à l'autre : ville et protestantisme dans l'aire atlantique aux XVIe et XVIIe siècles (Imprimerie nationale, 1999)
- "Le Sud-Ouest et le Canada au XVIIIe siècle : analyse d'un mouvement migratoire," IN Buisseret, David, ed., France in the New World (Michigan State University Press, 1998)
- Frenchmen into Peasants: Modernity and Tradition in the Peopling of French Canada (Cambridge, MA Harvard University, 1997)
- Translated as De Paysans à Français : modernité et tradition dans le peuplement du Canada français (Les Éditions du Septentrion and Presses de l’Université de Paris-Sorbonne, 2001)
**Winner of the Alfred Heggoy Book Prize for the best book in French colonial history, 1998. Selected as one of the 30 most notable books in the field of Canadian Studies by International Journal of Canadian Studies at the request of Foreign Affairs Canada, 2005. Only nine of the 30 books are by American authors.
- "Serial History", "Francois Simiand" and "Alexis de Tocqueville" IN Woolf, D.R., ed., Making History: A Global Encyclopedia of Historical Writing (Garland, 1998)
- "Degenerate or Degendered? Images of Prostitution and Homosexuality in the Third French Republic" IN Historical Reflections/Reflexions historiques, (Spring 1997)
**First runner-up, Audre Lorde Prize for an outstanding article in gay/lesbian history, 1998.
- "Corporatism or Physiocracy? The Trades of French Canada in the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries," Working Paper No. 97-05, International Seminar on the History of the Atlantic World, 1500-180. (Charles Warren Center, Harvard University, 1997)
- "Compagnonnage in Eighteenth-Century New France" IN Johnston, A.J.B., ed., Essays in French Colonial History (Michigan State University Press, 1997)
- "La Mobilité de travail en France et l'émigration vers le Canada (XVIIe -XXe siècles)" IN Landry, Yves et al., eds., Les Chemins de la migration en Belgique et au Quebec du XVII au XX siecle (Louvain-la-Neuve : Éditions Academia, 1995).
- "Frenchmen into Peasants: Modernity and Tradition in the Peopling of French North America" IN Proceedings of the American Antiquarian Society, October 1994, vol. 104, part 1
- "L'Émigration féminine de la France vers le Canada aux XVIIe et XVIIIe siècles" in Quintal, Claire, ed., La Femme franco-americaine (Worcester, MA: Éditions de l'Institut français, 1994)
- "Ces Amazones du Grand Dieu: Women and Mission in Seventeenth-Century Canada" IN French Historical Studies, Spring 1992
"French and British Emigration to the North American Colonies: A Comparative View" IN Benes, Peter, ed., New England/New France, 1600-1850, The Dublin Seminar for New England Folklife Annual Proceedings, 1989(Boston University Press, 1992)
- "Recruitment of French Emigrants to Canada, 1600-1760" IN Altman, Ida and James Horn, eds., To Make America: European Emigration in the Early Modern Period, (Berkeley: University of California Press, 1991)
Associate Professor of History
- Translated Christianities: Nahuatl and Maya Religious Texts. University Park: Penn State UP, 2014. Print.
- Rev. of Parallel Worlds: Genre, Discourse, and Poetics in Contemporary, Colonial, and Classical Maya Literature, ed. Kerry M. Hull and Michael D. Carrasco. Ethnohistory 60.4 (2013): 788-89. Print.
- "The Teabo Manuscript." Ethnohistory 60.4 (2013): 749-53. Print.
- "The Merchant's World: Commercial Diversity and the Economics of Interregional Exchange in Highland Mesoamerica. Appendix A: A Nahuatl Economic Vocabulary." Merchants, Markets, and Exchange in the Pre-Columbian World. Ed. Kenn Hirth and Joanne Pillsbury. Washington, DC: Dumbarton Oaks Research Library and Collection, 2013. 106-07. Print. With Kenneth Hirth.
- “Fair and Fraudulent Nahuas: A Confessional Manual's Insight into the Sixteenth-Century Market Economy of Central Mexico.” Latin American Indian Literatures Journal 27.2 (Fall 2011): 111-140. Print.
- Rev. of Maya and Catholic Cultures in Crisis by John D. Early. Ethnohistory 60.2 (Spring 2013): 337-338. Print.
- Nahua and Maya Catholicisms: Texts and Religion in Colonial Central Mexico and Yucatan. Stanford/Berkeley: Stanford University Press, Academy of American Franciscan History, 2013.
- “The Use of Nahuatl in Evangelization and the Ministry of Sebastian.” Ethnohistory 59:4 (Fall 2012): 691-711. Print.
- Rev. of The Black Middle: Africans, Mayas, and Spaniards in Colonial Yucatan by Matthew Restall. Colonial Latin American Historical Review 17.2 (2008): 189-190. 2012. Print.
- Rev of Indigenous Miracles: Nahua Authority in Colonial Mexico, by Edward W Osowski. Ethnohistory 58.4, Winter 2011: 745-748. Print.
- Rev. of Framing the Sacred: The Indian Churches of Early Colonial Mexico, by Eleanor Wake. Ethnohistory 58:4, Winter 2011: 745-748. Print.
- Rev. of Here in This Year: Seventeenth-Century Nahuatl Annals of the Tlaxcala-Puebla Valley, by Camilla Townsend. Journal of Latin American Studies 43.2 (2011): 360-361. Print.
Rev. of The Unconverted Self: Jews, Indians, and the Identity of Christian Europe. Ethnohistory 58:1 (2011): 172-173. Print.
"The Tales of Two Cultures: Ecclesiastical Texts and Nahua and Maya Catholicisms." Americas 66.3 (2010): 353-377. Print.
Assistant Professor of History
- "History Prints, Newspapers Advertisements, and Cultivating Citizen Consumer: Patriotism and Partisanship in Marketing Campaigns in the Era of the Revolution." American Periodicals 24.2 (2014): 145-85. Print.
- "A Revolution in Advertising: 'Buy American' Campaigns in the Late Eighteenth Century." Creating Advertising Culture: Beginnings to the 1930s. Ed. Danielle Sarver Coombs and Bob Batchelor. Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger, 2014. 1-25. Print.
- “Masculinity, Power, and Political Activity in Early America.” Early American Literature 48.1 (February 2013): 213-230. Print.
- “Single Men in Early America.” Rev. of Citizen Bachelors: Manhood and the Creation of the United States, by John Gilbert McCurdy. Common-place 12.3 (April 2012). Online. www.common-place.org
- Rev. of Founders: The People Who Brought You a Nation, by Ray Raphael. 75th commemorative double issue of Historical Journal of Massachusetts 39.1,2 (Summer 2011): 269-272. Print.
- Rev. of Dangerous Economies: Status and Commerce in Imperial New York. William and Mary Quarterly 68.2 (April 2011): 315-319. Print.
Assistant Professor of History
- “Such a Time: Globalization through the Prism of Gender.” Connections 16.1. (National Association of Women in Catholic Higher Education). 12-13. With Regina Edmonds.
- American Foreign Relations: A History. Wadsworth/Cengage, 2010. With Thomas G. Paterson, J. Garry Clifford, Shane J. Maddock, and Kenneth Hagan.
- "Williams' The Tragedy of American Diplomacy." An Assumption Library: Essays Presented in Celebration of the 20th Anniversary of the Emmanuel d'Alzon Library. Worcester, Mass.: Assumption College Library, c2008. 102-104.
- American Foreign Relations: A History (co-authored). (Houghton Mifflin, 2004).
- The United States and the European right, 1945-1955. (Columbus : Ohio State University Press, 2005).
- "The United States, the French Right, and American Power in Europe, 1946-1958," The Historian, Spring 2003.
Associate Professor of History
- "Catherine of Siena's Dialogues." An Assumption Library: Essays Presented in Celebration of the 20th Anniversary of the Emmanuel d'Alzon Library. Worcester, Mass.: Assumption College Library, c2008. 25-27.
- “Teaching Women’s Devotion in Medieval and Early Modern Italy*,” in Margaret L. King and Albert Rabil Jr., eds., Teaching Other Voices: Women and Religion in Early Modern Europe (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2007): 31-43.
- Working in the Vineyard of the Lord: Jesuit Confraternities in Early Modern Italy. (Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2005).
2006 Winner of the American Catholic Historical Association's Howard R. Marraro Prize in Italian History
- Associate editor with Karin Finsterbusch, Armin Lange and K. F. Diethard Römheld, eds., Human Sacrifice in Jewish and Christian Tradition (Leiden: Brill, 2006).
- "Negotiating Conversions: Catechumens and the Family in Early Modern Italy," in Piety and the Family in Early Modern Europe: Essays in Honor of Steven Ozment, eds. Marc Forster and Benjamin Kaplan (Aldershot, Hampshire; Burlington, Vt.: Ashgate, 2005): 152-177.
- "Jesuit Missions in Italy, Confraternities, and the Jubilee of 1575: Centers and Peripheries" Archivum Historicum Societatis Jesu, 74.2 (January, 2006): 1-25.
- "The Formation of the Pious Soul: Trans-alpine Demand for Jesuit Devotional Texts, 1548-1615," in Confessionalization in Europe, 1555-1700: Essays in Honor and Memory of Bodo Nischan, eds. John Headley, Hans Hillerbrand and Anthony J. Papalas (Aldershot, Hampshire; Burlington, Vt.: Ashgate, 2004): 289-318.
- "Belief, Devotion, and Memory in Early Modern Italian Confraternities," Confraternitas, 15.1 (Spring, 2004): 3-33.
- "E faucibus daemonis: Daughters of Prostitutes, the First Jesuits, and the Compagnia delle Vergini Miserabili di S. Caterina," in Wisch, Barbara, and Diane Ahl, eds., Confraternities and the Visual Arts in Renaissance Italy: Ritual, Spectacle, Image (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2000): 159-179.
- "The First Jesuit Confraternities and Marginalized Groups in Sixteenth-Century Rome," in Nicholas Terpstra, ed., The Politics of Ritual Kinship. Confraternities and Social Order in Early Modern Italy (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1999): 132-149.
- "Ludovico de Varthema" in The Encyclopedia of the Renaissance, gen. ed. Paul Grendler (New York: Scribners, 1999), 6: 216-217.
Lynch, Shawn M.
Visiting Assistant Professor of History
- "‘Red Riots’ and the Origins of the Civil Liberties Union of Massachusetts, 1915-1930.” Historical Journal of Massachusetts 38.1 (spring 2010): 61-81.
- English translation of Pierre Manet's The City of Man (Princeton University Press).
Professor of History
- "The Americanization of Struwwelpeter: Nineteenth Century Children's Cautionary Tales." Journal of the Gilded Age and Progressive Era Online. August/September 2009.
- "Visualizing White Supremacy: the American War in the Philippines." Journal of the Gilded Age and Progressive Era Online. August/September 2009.
- Race Relations in the United States, 1900-1920. Westport, Conn.: Greenwood Press, 2009.
- "Rebellion against Priest: Making a Niche in a Late-Nineteenth-Century American City." The Massachusetts Historical Review 10 (2008): 1-22.
- "Religion and Ethnicity." A Companion to American Immigration. Ed. Reed Ueda. Malden, Mass.: Blackwell Publishing, 2006.
- "How do Contemporary Newspaper Accounts of the 1850 Worcester Woman's Rights Convention Enhance Our Understanding of the Issues Debated at That Meeting?" Women and Social Movements, vol. 10, no. 1.
- The AHA Guide to Teaching and Learning with New Media (The American Historical Association, 2005).
- "The Daniel Sickles Murder Trial: A Husband's Vengeance," IN Bailey, Frankie and Steven Chermak, eds., Famous American Crimes and Trials, Volume One: 1607-1859 (Praeger, 2004).
- The Birth of Modern America 1919-1939 (Brandywine Press, 2005).
- "Un Dimsdale Canadien: Curé and Community in Late-Nineteenth-Century Worcester," IN Ueda, Reed and Conrad Edick Wright, eds., Faces of Community: Immigrant Massachusetts 1860-2000 ( Massachusetts Historical Society, 2003).
- "The Internet: Coping with an Embarrassment of Riches," Perspectives Online: The Newsmagazine of the American Historical Association, May 2003.
- "Who is Mrs. Ada T.P. Foat? And Why Should Historians Care?: An Historical Reading of Henry James' The Bostonians," The Journal of the Gilded Age and Progressive Era, April 2003.
- "An Inquiry Approach to Teaching U.S. History," H-NET, 2002.
- "Symbolic Rivalries among Yankees, Swedes, and Irish in Worcester, Massachusetts, 1880-1920: Ethnicity and Assimilation as Forms of Cultural Triangulation," IN Runblom, Harald, ed. Migrant and the Homeland: Images, Symbols, and Realities. (Uppsala University: Center for Multiethnic Research).
- Mississippi Freedom Summer (Thomson Wadsworth, 2004).
- American Stories (Harcourt Brace Jovanovitch, forthcoming).
- Images of Women in American Popular Culture Second edition. Co-authored with Angela D. Dorenkamp et al. (San Diego: Harcourt Brace Jovanovitch, 1995).
- Ga till America: the Construction of a Swedish Ethnic Identity for Worcester, Massachusetts. Co-authored with Charles W. Estus, Sr. (Worcester, Mass: 1994).
- Images of Women in American Popular Culture. Co-authored with Angela D. Dorenkamp et al. (San Diego: Harcourt Brace Jovanovitch, 1985).
- The Westerholms and the Lundquists : from Sweden to America. Co-authored with Charles Estus, Kevin L. Hickey, and Kenneth J. Moynihan.. (Worcester, Mass.: Assumption College, 1983).
- Carroll D. Wright, L'Abbee Jean-BaptistePrimeau, and French Canadian Families," IN Ballard Campbell, ed. The Human Tradition in the Gilded Age and Progressive Era. (Scholarly Resources, 2000).
- "Carroll D. Wright" in American Cities and Suburbs: an Encyclopedia , edited by Neil Larry Shumsky (Garland Publishing, forthcoming).
- "Immigration" in The Encyclopedia of Historiography, edited by D. R. Woolf (Garland Publishing, forthcoming).
- "Inquiry and Archive in a U.S. Women's History Course" in Works and Days, Spring/Fall 1998.
- "Text in Hypertext: Is Chicken Little Right This Time?" in Works and Days, Spring/Fall 1998.
- "Of Mornin' Glories and 'Fine Old Oaks': John Purroy Mitchel, al Smith and Irish-American Political Aspiration" in The New York Irish , edited by Timothy Meagher and Ronald Bayor (Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1996).
- "'Little Dutch Girls' and Imperial Knights" Co-authored with Charles Estus in Swedish-American Historical Quarterly, Jan. 1996, vol. 47, pp. 19-39.
- "Editor's Introduction: the Swedish Experience in Worcester, Massachusetts with Charles Estus in Swedish-American Historical Quarterly, Jan. 1995, vol. 46, pp. 3-7.
- "Mary Antin"; "Berta Gersten"; "Rosika Schwimmer" in European Immigrant Women in The United States, edited by Judy Barrett Litoff and Judy McDonnell (Garland Publishing, 1994).
- "The Public Profession of Ethnicity: Swedish and French-Canadian Strategies in Worcester, Massachusetts, 1880-1930" in On Distant Shores , edited by Birgit Flemming Larsen et al. (Aalborg, Denmark: Danes Worldwide Archives, 1993), pp. 201-230.
- "The Paradox of Ethnicity in the United States: the French-Canadian Experience in Worcester, 1870-1914" in Immigration and Ethnicity , edited by Michael D'Innocenzo and Josef Sirefman (Greenwood Press, 1992).
- "Ersatz Learning, Inauthentic Teaching" Co-authored with Lucia Knowles in Journal on Excellence in College Teaching, 1992, vol. 3, pp. 33-50.
- "The Assignment-driven Course: a Task-specific Approach to Teaching" Co-authored with Paul Ziegler in Journal on Excellence in College Teaching , 1991, vol. 2, pp. 25-33.
- "The Politics of Patriotism" in Political Parties and Elections in the United States: an Encyclopedia, edited by L. Sandy Maisel (Garland Publishing, 1991).
- "Lost at Sea: a Proposal for Countering Information Overload in Introductory Courses"Co-authored with Paul Ziegler in Perspectives: Newsletter of American Historical Association, Dec. 1991, pp. 18-20.
- "Gender and the 'American Way of Life': Women in the Americanization Movement" in Journal of American Ethnic History, Spring 1991, vol. 10, pp. 3-20.
- "Americanization Movement" in Dictionary of American Immigration History, edited by Francesco Cordasco (Scarecrow Press, 1990).
- "The 'American Standard' of Living: Family Expectations and Strategies for Getting and Spending in Gilded Age America" in Hayes Historical Journal , Spring 1990, vol. 9, pp. 20-43.
- "How to Read Wright: the Equity of the Wage System and The Morality of Spending" in Hayes Historical Journal, Winter 1989, vol. 7, pp. 37-43.
- "Florence Kelley" and "Jacob Riis" in Research Guide to American Historical Biography, edited by Robert Muccigrosso (Beecham Publishing, 1988).
- "Paul U. Kellogg"; "Neighborhood Idea"; "Pittsburgh"; "Pittsburgh Survey"; "Lillian Wald" in Historical Dictionary of the Progressive Era, 1890-1920, edited by John D. Buenker and Edward R. Kantowicz (Greenwood Press, 1988).
- "Social Space and the Development of Working-class and/or Urban Culture" in Journal of Urban History, May 1988, vol. 14, pp. 406-412.
- "Using Data Base Management Software in Undergraduate Survey Courses" in Teaching History, Fall 1987, vol. 12, pp. 10-17.
- "Late Nineteenth-century American Working-class Living Standards" in Journal of Interdisciplinary History, Autumn 1986, vol. 17, pp. 379-398.
- "The Historian and the Poverty Line" in Historical Methods, 1985, vol. 18, pp. 105-110.
- "Assumption College: a Case Study in Collegiate Community" Co-authored with Charles Estus et al. in NICM Journal, Spring/Summer 1983, vol. 8, pp. 35-44.
- "The Americanization Movement and the Education of the Foreign-born Adult, 1914-1925" in American Education and the European Immigrant, 1840-1940 , edited by Bernard J. Weiss (University of Illinois Press, 1982), pp. 96-116.
- "The Study of Community and the 'New' Social History" in The Journal of Urban History, Nov. 1980, vol. 7, pp. 103-118.
- "Creating Effective Community History Assignments" Co-authored with Charles Estus et al. in The Newberry Papers in Family and Community History, 1979, paper #79-4.
- "An Interdisciplinary Approach to Community Studies" Co-authored with Charles Estus et al. in The History Teacher, Nov. 1979, vol. 13, pp. 37-48.
- "The Federal Government and the Americanization Movement, 1915-24" in Prologue: the Journal of the National Archives, Spring 1978, vol. 10, pp. 22-41.
- "The Essay Assignment As a Teaching Device" Co-authored with Kenneth J. Moynihan in The History Teacher, May 1977, vol. 10, pp. 359-371.
- "The Pittsburgh Survey, 1907-1914: Forging an Ideology in the Steel District" in Pennsylvania History, April 1974, vol. 41, pp. 168-
Moynihan, Kenneth J.
Professor Emeritus of History
- A History of Worcester, 1674-1848 (Charleston, S.C.: History Press, 2007).
- Assumption College: A Centennial History, 1904-2004. (Worcester, Mass.: Assumption College : c2004.)
- The Westerholms and the Lundquists : from Sweden to America. Co-authored with Charles W. Estus, Kevin L. Hickey, and John F. McClymer. (Worcester, Mass.: Assumption College, 1983).
- "Can the Scholar's History be the Public's History" in Proceedings of the American Antiquarian Society, Oct. 1995, vol. 105, part 2, pp. 301-313.
- "History as a Weapon for Social Advancement: Group History as Told by the American Irish Historical Society, 1896-1930" in New York Irish History, 1993-94, vol. 8, pp. 34-40.
- "The Importance of Being Protestant: the Swedish Role in Worcester, Massachusetts, 1868-1930"Co-authored with Charles W. Estus and Kevin L. Hickey in Swedes in America: New Perspectives, edited by Ulf Beijbom (Vaxjo, Sweden, 1993), pp. 33-58.
- "Swedes and Yankees in Worcester Politics: a Protestant Partnership" in The Swedish-American Historical Quarterly, 1989, vol. 40, pp. 23-34.
- "Meetinghouse vs. Courthouse: the Struggle for Legitimacy in Worcester, 1783-1788" in Shays Rebellion: Selected Essays, edited by Martin Kaufman (Westfield, Mass., 1987), pp. 34-54.
- "Beyond Textiles: Industrial Diversity and the Franco-American Experience in Worcester, Massachusetts" Co-authored with Charles W. Estus in The Little Canadas of New England, edited by Claire Quintal (Worcester, Mass: Assumption College, 1983), pp. 104-119.
- "An Interdisciplinary Approach to Community Studies" Co-authored with Charles W. Estus et al. in The History Teacher, Nov. 1979, vol. 12, pp. 37-48.
- Instructor's Manual to accompany These United States , by Irwin Unger. Co-authored with John F. McClymer (1979).
- "The Essay Assignment: a Teaching Device"; Co-authored with John F. McClymer in The History Teacher, 1977, vol. 10, pp. 359-371.
- "Communication on Salem Village Witchcraft" in William and Mary Quarterly, 1975, third series, vol. 32, pp. 663-
Assistant Professor of History
- "Iron Guard." War in the Balkans: An Encyclopedic History from the Fall of the Ottoman Empire to the Breakup of Yugoslavia. Ed. Richard C. Hall. ABC-CLIO, LLC: Santa Barbara, California, 2014. 145-46. Print.
- “Siege of Odessa, 1941." War in the Balkans: An Encyclopedic History from the Fall of the Ottoman Empire to the Breakup of Yugoslavia. Ed. Richard C. Hall. ABC-CLIO, LLC: Santa Barbara, California, 2014. 210-11. Print.
- “Romanian Peasant Uprising, 1907." War in the Balkans: An Encyclopedic History from the Fall of the Ottoman Empire to the Breakup of Yugoslavia. Ed. Richard C. Hall. ABC-CLIO, LLC: Santa Barbara, California, 2014. 251-52. Print.
- Women and the Birth of Russian Capitalism: A History of the Shuttle Trade. DeKalb, IL: NIU, 2014. Print.
- "Rural Women in the Chinese and Soviet Countryside: A Comparative Perspective." Rev. of The Gender of Memory: Rural Women and China's Collective Past. PRC History Review 1.1 (2014): 14-16. Print.
- "Gendered Division of Labor among Special Settlers in the Soviet Union, 1941-1956." Women's History Review 23.1 (2014): 99-119. Print.
- Rev. of Gender and Housing in Soviet Russia: Private Life in a Public Space, by Lynne Attwood. Europe-Asia Studies 63.2 (March 2011): 338-340. Print.
- “Paired and Non-Paired Courses as a Predictor of Learning Outcomes in Freshmen World History Surveys.” International Journal of Learning 17 (winter 2011): 7-18. Print.
- “Regulating the Trade: International Peddling in Post-Soviet Russia.” The Soviet and Post-Soviet Review 37 (2010): 166-186. Print.
- Rural Women in the Soviet Union and Post-Soviet Russia. Routledge, 2010. Editor, translator.
- “Class and Gender: Women in Soviet Central Asia, 1900-45” ; “Ethnic and Forced Migrations: Soviet Union, 1900-1945” ; “Boris Yeltsin” ; “Expulsion of Germans from Eastern Europe, 1945 to present.” World History Encyclopedia, vols. XVIII and IX. ABC-CLIO, 2010.
- “New Losses, New Opportunities: (Soviet) Women in the Shuttle Trade, 1987-1998.” Journal of Social History 43.2 (winter 2009): 341-361.
- The Germans of the Soviet Union. Routledge, 2007.
- "US, the Great Britain, and the Soviet Union: The Warsaw Uprising and the Coming of the Cold War." Cold War History 6.3 (August 2006).
- "'The Forgotten History': Ethnic German Women in Soviet Exile, 1941-1955." Europe-Asia Studies 57.5 (July 2005).
- "Problems of Studying Contemporary Chechen Terrorism." Studies in Conflict and Terrorism 28.6 (November-December 2005).
- "Problems of Studying Contemporary Chechen Terrorism." Issues of Contemporary World Socialism, published by the Institute of Contemporary Socialism of Shandong University (in Chinese, April 2005).
- "Recent Historiography: Church & Religion in Imperial Russia." Marburg Journal of History 10.1 (August 2005) (Russian translation).
- "Recent Historiography: Church & Religion in Imperial Russia." Marburg Journal of History 9.2 (December 2004) (English).
- "Forced Migration, Special Settlements, and Ethnic Identities: Soviet Germans and Crimeans after WWII." Michigan Academician (Summer 2003).
Assistant Professor of History
- “Healthful Goods: Health, Hygiene, and Commercial Culture in Early Twentieth-Century Shanghai.” Twentieth-Century China 37.3 (October 2012): 250-274. Print.
- "Health and Hygiene in Mass Mobilization: Hygiene Campaigns in Shanghai, 1920-1945." Twentieth-Century China 34.1 (November 2007): 42-72.
Silveri, Louis D.
Professor Emeritus of History
- "Leadership for Change: Appalachian Alabama's Congressman Carl Elliott and Modern America" in Journal of the Appalachian Studies Association , 1994, vol. 6.
- "Dilemma of a Southern Liberal: North Alabama Congressman Carl Elliott and the New Frontier" in Southern Social Studies Journal, Fall 1994.
- "Pushing the Fence Back Too Far: the Defeat of Congressman Carl Elliott in 1964" in Alabama Review, Jan. 1992.
- "Paul Green: a Remembrance" in Kentucky Historical Society Bulletin , April 1991.
- "Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings: a Mountain Passage" in Appalachian Heritage, Nov. 1990.
- "The Singing Tours of the Fisk Jubilee Singers, 1871-1872" in Afro-American Music and Musicians in Nineteenth Century America, edited by George Keck (Greenwood Press: 1988).
- "Cheap and Contented Labor" in Second Growth, Fall 1981, vol. 2, no. 1.
- "Changing Times in the Mountains: Marie Halbert King and the National Youth Administration in Western North Carolina" in Appalachian Heritage , Summer 1980.
- "Ignorance is Dangerous Wherever You Find It: a McDowell County School Teacher" in The State, Feb. 1980, vol. 47, no. 9.
- "An Appalachian Life" in Mountain Review, 1979, vol. 5, no. 1.
- "Walking Twice to Cast a Shadow: William Nothstein and Conservation in Western North Carolina" in Appalachian Heritage, Fall 1979.
- "Nursing on Troublesome: Erna Kuhn in Knott County, Kentucky, 1917-1918" in Appalachian Heritage, Summer 1979.
Assistant Professor of History
HUMAN SERVICES & REHABILITATION STUDIES
Assistant Professor of Human Services and Rehabilitation Studies
“Center of mass trajectory and orientation to ankle and knee in sagittal plane is maintained with forward lean when backpack load changes during treadmill walking.” Journal of Biomechanics 46.1 (January 2013): 70-76. Print. With Wagenaar, R., Lewis, C., Saltzman, E., Holt, K.
Associate Professor of Human Services and Rehabilitation Studies
- Pelletier, J. (2007) Health promotion in clubhouse programs: Needs, barriers, and current and planned activities. Psychiatric Rehabilitation Journal.
- McCarthy, T., Pelletier, J., and Accordino, M.P. (2005) Psychiatric rehabilitation education in a rehabilitation counseling graduate program: Training effect on vocational rehapbilitation counselor knowledge and skill. Rehabilitation Education, 19 (4).
- Pelletier, J., Nguyen, M., Bradley, K., Johnsen, M., & McKay, C. (2005). A study of a structured exercise program for members of an ICCD certified clubhouse program: Design, benefits, and implications for feasibility. Psychiatric Rehabilitation Journal, 29 (2), 89-96.
- Bradley, K., Pelletier, J., & Rettig, M. (2004). Developing a structured physical exercise program for clubhouse members: The Genesis wellness project. The Clubhouse Community Journal, 5, 14-21.
- Rogers, E.S., Thurer, S., & Pelletier, J.R. (1986). Mental Health Needs of Individuals with Severe Physical Disabilities. Rehabilitation Counseling Bulletin, 29, 240-250.
- Pelletier, J.R., Rogers, E.S., & Dellario, D.J. (1985) Barriers to the Provision of Mental Health Services to Individuals with Severe Physical Disability. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 32, 422-430.
- Pelletier, J.R., Rogers, E.S. & Thurer, S. (1985). The Mental Health Needs of Individuals with Severe Physical Disability: A Consumer Advocate Perspective. Rehabilitation Literature, 16, 186-193.
- Perceptions of Community Mental Health Professionals in New England Regarding Mental Health Services to Individuals with Severe Physical Disability and Psychiatric Problems (Ann Arbor, MI: University Microfilms, 1982).
Assistant Professor of Human Services and Rehabilitation Studies
Associate Professor of Human Services & Rehabilitation Studies
- Scully, S.M., Habeck, R.V., & Leahy, M.J. (1999). "Knowledge and skill areas associated with disability management practice for rehabilitation counselors," Rehabilitation Counseling Bulletin, 43 (1), 20-29.
- Dollarhide, C.T. & Scully, S.M. (1999). "The Counseling/learning model: Using epistemological theory in Counseling," Journal of Pennsylvania Counseling, 2 (1), 3-18.
- Habeck, R.V., Scully, S.M., VanTol, B., & Hunt, H.A. (1998). "Successful employer strategies for preventing and managing disability," Rehabilitation Counseling Bulletin, 42 (2), 144-161.
- Habeck, R.V., Kress, M., Scully, S.M., and Kirchener, K. (1994). "Determining the significance of the disability management movement for rehabilitation counselor education," Rehabilitation Education, 8 (3), 195-240.
- Habeck, R.V., Kress, M., Scully, S.M., and Kirchener, K. (1994). "Determining the significance of the disability management movement: A reply to Vandergoot, Walker and McFarlane," Rehabilitation Education, 8 (3), 255-258.
- Hunt, H.A., Habeck, R.V., VanTol, B., and Scully, S.M. (1993). "Disability prevention among Michigan employers." (Technical Report #93-004). Kalamazoo, MI: W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
Soldner, James L.
Assistant Professor of Human Services & Rehabilitation Studies
- “Inter-University Collaboration for Online Teaching Innovation: An Emerging Model.” Rehabilitation Research, Policy, and Education 26.4 (Winter 2013): 321-344. Print. With Perkins Nerlich, A. & Millington, M.
- “Relationships Among Leader-Member Exchange, Satisfaction, Productivity, and Self-Efficacy of Rehabilitation Doctoral Students.” Rehabilitation Counselors & Educators Journal 6.1 (Summer 2012): 109-120. Print. With Crimando, W., Dunlap, P.N., Phillips, B.N., and Patel, D.
- “Emergency preparedness for persons with disabilities: Implications for rehabilitation administration.” Journal of Rehabilitation Administration 35.1 (Winter 2011): 27-38. With Sprong, M.E., Lewis, T.A., Koch, D.S. Print.
- “Promoting multicultural competencies in early career rehabilitation counselor supervisors.” Australian Journal of Rehabilitation Counselling 17.1 (Winter 2011): 36-45. With Boston, Q., Vaughn, S., Pitt, J., Turner-Whittaker, T., & Robertson, S. Print.
- “Relationships among Leader-member Exchange, Organizational Citizenship Behavior, Organizational Commitment, Dyadic Gender, and Dyadic Duration in a Rehabilitation Center.” Journal of Rehabilitation Administration 34.1 (2011): 25-34. With William Crimando. Print.
- "Acquired Brain Injury Rehabilitation and Managed Care: Implications for Rehabilitation Administrators." Journal of Rehabilitation Administration 33.1 (2009): 45-58. Co-authored with Thomas D. Upton and Paige N. Dunlap.
- “Rehabilitation Administration Literature: 30+ Years of Role and Function.” Monograph of the National Clearinghouse of Rehabilitation Training Materials (2008): 1-409. With T. F. Riggar, W. Crimando, and P. N. Dunlap
- “The Use of Computer Activity Schedules to Increase Initiation of and Engagement in Domestic and Leisure Activities in an Adult with Acquired Brain Injury.” European Journal of Behavior Analysis 6.2 (2005): 173-177. With R. A. Rehfeldt, J. M. Guercio, and J. E. Dillen.
- “Enhancing Staff Performance Measures in an Acquired Brain Injury Setting: Combating the Habituation to Organizational Behavior Interventions.” Behavioral Interventions 20.1 (2004): 91-99. With J. M. Guercio, M. R. Dixon, Z. Shoemaker, K. Zlomke, S. Root, and S. L. Small.
- “Impulsivity, Self-Control, and Delay Discounting in Persons with Acquired Brain Injury.” Behavioral Interventions 20.1 (2004): 101-120. With M. R. Dixon, E. Jacobs, S. Sanders, J. M. Guercio, S. Parker-Singler, A. Robinson, S. L. Small, and J. E. Dillen.
- “Implementation Tip from Dixon, Hayes, & Stack’s Changing Conceptions of Employee Compensation.” Organizational Behavior Management Network (2004): 1-3. With M. R. Dixon. Online.
Professor Emeritus of Human Services & Rehabilitation Studies
- Cooperative Learning in Supervision. Co-authored with Robert Masson (Region III Rehabilitation Services Administration Research and Training Center, 1970).
- Validation of the Rehabilitation Counseling Response Exercise (Region III Rehabilitation Services Administration Research and Training Center, 1968).
- "Homophobia: Are We in the Closet?" in Journal of Applied Rehabilitation Counseling, Summer 1994, vol. 25, no. 2.
- "Person Centered Approach Group Under Scrutiny" in Renaissance , 1991, vol. 8, no. 4.
- "Assisting Persons with Disabilities Who Are in Crisis from Sexual Assault" in NARPPS Journal, 1991, vol. 6, no. 4.
- "Assisting Physically Disabled Victims of Sexual Assault" in Medical Aspects of Human Sexuality, Oct. 1986.
- "Sexual Assault: Disabled Perspective" in Sexuality and Disability , Winter 1981, vol. 4, no. 4.
- "Applied Learning: Independent Living Skills" Co-authored with Jack Genskow in Rehabilitation Gazette, vol. 22, pp. 23-24.
- "Laboratory Training Pays Off" in Journal of Applied Rehabilitation Counseling
MATH & COMPUTER SCIENCE
Assistant Professor of Mathematics
"A basis for the Y1 subspace of diagonal harmonic polynomials," Discrete
Mathematics, 193 (1998) 17-31.
- "Jump Degrees of Torsion-Free Abelian Groups." Journal of Symbolic Logic77.4 (2012): 1067-100. Print. With Asher M. Kach, Alexander G. Melnikov, and Reed Solomon.
Associate Professor of Mathematics and Computer Science
“Derived Functors Related to Wall-Crossing.” Communications in Algebra 38.12 (2010): 4633-4648. Print.
"Translation cokernels of rational modules." Communications in Algebra 28.1 (2000): 1-13. Print.
"Local systems of Shapovalov element.," Communications in Algebra 23.8 (1995): 3039-3049. Print.
"Completion and translation in O." Communications in Algebra 16.9 (1988): 1921-1932. Print.
- "Extensions of Verma modules." Transactions of the American Mathematical Society 294.1 (1986): 29-43. Print.
Assistant Professor of Mathematics
- “An Introduction to Teaching Mathematics at the College Level.” American Mathematical Society. American Mathematical Society, Aug. 2010. Web.
- "Involutions fixing ____, II," Topology and its Applications, 28 April 2005.
- "Involutions fixing ____," Topology and its Applications, 28 July 2004.
MODERN & CLASSICAL LANGUAGES & CULTURES
Professor Emeritus of French and Linguistics
- "The Negative Future Imperative in Algonquin," IN Papers of the Thirty-Eighth Algonquian Conference
(Winnipeg:University of Manitoba, 2007)
- "ASSM Manuscript 103 by Anonyme IV (1669?)," IN Papers of the Thirty-Sixth Algonquian Conference (Winnipeg: University of Manitoba, 2005).
- "Number Terms in Three Old Algonquin Manuscripts," IN Papers of the Thirty-Fifth Algonquian Conference (Winnipeg: University of Manitoba, 2004).
- "The Algonquin-French Manuscript ASSM 104 (1661): Miscellanea" IN Papers of the Thirty-Fourth Algonquian Conference (Winnipeg: University of Manitoba, 2003).
- "The Algonquin-French Manuscript ASSM 104 (1661)" IN Actes du Trente-Deuxieme Congres des Algonquinistes (Winnipeg: l'Universite du Manitoba, 2001).
- A Proto-Algonquian Dictionary (Ottawa : National Museums of Canada, 1975).
- A Historical Phonology of Narragansett (Ph.D. Thesis--Brown University, 1972).
Assistant Professor of Italian
- Translator: Macchia, Annalaura. Cancellato!
- "Sculptural Form and the Love Theme in Michelangelo's Rime, " Italian Quarterly, Winter/Spring 2003.
Professor of the Classics
- "Exploring the Myth of the Trojan Horse: Never Look a Gift Horse in the Mouth." Latin for the New Millennium: Student Text, Level 1. By Milena Minkova and Terence Tunberg. Mundelein, Ill.: Bolchazy-Carducci, c2008: 213-216.
- Latina Mythica. (Wauconda, IL: Bolchazy-Carducci, 2006)
- Lucretius. Selections from the De Rerum Natura (Bolchazy-Carducci, 1998).
- "Juno to Jupiter" [11 stanzas of four lines each of rhyming couplets in the style of Ovid's Heroides], The Classical Outlook, 81.1, Fall 2003, p. 24.
- "Lucretian Illuminations of Roman Life" The New England Classical Journal, August 1999.
- "Lucretian Light: Bacon's Debt to Lucretius and Epicurus" The New England Classical Journal, Feb. 1998.
- "Passage for Examination on Chapters 1-10: the Wedding of Peleus and Thetis" Athenaze Newsletter, Spring 1997.
- "Selections from Lucretius' De Rerum Natura" Classical Assn. of New England Series, Short Greek and Latin Texts for Students, 1996
- "Duals" Athenaze Newsletter, Fall 1994, p.10.
- "The Story of Jason" Athenaze Newsletter , Fall 1993, pp. 25-27.
"The Fear of Mockery: A Tragic Motivation" The Classical Bulletin, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 17-26.
"Vergilian Inversion of Lucretius in Anchises' Exposition of the Soul" Vergilius, 1989, vol. 35, pp.60-69.
- "Venus and Natura in Lucretius: De Rerum Natura 1.1-23 and 2.167-74" The Classical Journal, 1989, vol. 84, no. 2, pp. 97-104.
- "The Labyrinth on the Cumaean gates and Aeneas' Escape from Troy" Vergilius, 1988, vol. 34, pp. 71-76.
- "Lucretius, Shakespeare and Dickens" The Classical World, 1987, vol. 80, no. 6, pp. 423-427.
- "Lucretian Labor and Vergil's Labor Improbus" The Classical Journal, 1986, vol. 81, no. 4, pp. 305-318.
Professor Emerita of Spanish
"Discursos de la Memoria en el Teatro por la Identidad 2001: Reflexiones Sobre Épica, Imagen y Simulacro." Teatro XXI (Universidad de Buenos Aires) 14.27 (Otoño 2009): 24-30.
- "Creando Subjetividad y Genero en el Monologo: el Silencio de las Tortugas de Lucia Laragione." Perspectivas Teatrales. Ed. Osvaldo Pellettieri. Buenos Aires: Galerna : Fundación Roberto Arlt, c2008. 215-23.
- "Narrativa del Exilio y Memoria en el Teatro Cubano: Recordando a Mama de Monge Rafuls," IN Tiempo, Texto y Contexto Teatrales (Galerna, 2006)
- “Teatro de resistencia y trasgresión: Eclipse de Beatriz Mosquera,” in Juana A. Arancibia, ed. La mujer en la literatura
- del mundo hispánico, v. 6. (Istituto Literario y Cultural Hispanico: Westminster, CA, 2005): 177-185.
- "Discurso narrativo en primera persona: monólogo Mi querida de Griselda Gambaro," in Osvaldo Pellettieri, ed., Reflexiones sobre el teatro (Galerna, 2004)
- Dramaturgas argentinas: Teatro, política y género (Mendoza, Argentina: Universidad Nacional de Cuyo, 2003)
- El vanguardismo en el teatro hispanico de hoy: Fuentes, Gambaro Y Ruibal (Ann Arbor, Michigan: University Microfilm International, 1982).
- "El espacio mitico de la pampa: El confin, dialogo teatral de Patrica Zangaro," in La mujer en la literatura del mundo hispánico, 2000.
"Monologo dramatico y narracion: Las que aman hasta morir de Cristina Escofet," in Tradicion, modernidad y postmodernidad (Galerna and University of Buenos Aires, 1999)
- "Dramaturgas argentinas: perspectivas sobre genero y representacion" in El teatro y su mundo: Estudios sobre tetro iberoamericano y argentino.
- "El armario de las abuelas de Guillermo Schmidhuber de la Mora: articulacion de la imagen femenina en una genealogiade mujeres" in Antologia critica del teatro breve hispanoamericano, edited by M.M. Jaramillo and M. Yepes (University of Antioquia, Columbia).
- "Madres de la Plaza de Mayo: Por siempre Antigonas" in Las Desobedientes: Mujeres de Nuestra America (Columbia: Panamerica).
- "Entrevista a Beatriz Mosquera: a traves de las macaras" Latin American Theatre Review, Fall 1996, vol. 30.
- "Eduardo Pavlovsky: Teatro de deformacion y denuncia" in Teatro latinoamericano de los '70. Auritarismo, cuestionamiento y cambio, edited by O. Pellettieri (Buenos Aires: Corregidor, 1995), pp. 81-102.
- "Del objeto al sujeto mujer: Penas sin importancia de Griselda Gambaro" in La nueva mujer en la escritura de autoras hispanicas. Estudios Criticos, edited by Juana Arancibia and Yolanda Rosas (Montevideo: Instituto Literario y Cultural/Graffiti, 1995), pp. 179-195.
- "Espacios femeninos en la dramaturgia argentina" in El teatro y los dias. Estudios sobre teatro iberoamericano y argentino , edited by Osvaldo Pellettieri (Buenos Aires: Galerna, 1995), pp. 175-185
- "El quinto viaje de Colon de Schmidhuber de la Mora: Ficcion, historia y teatro" in LA CHISPA '93: Selected Proceedings, edited by Gilbert Paolini (New Orleans: Tulane University, 1993), pp. 71-78.
- "La paridia en el teatro de Gambaro: Intertextualidad y voluntad de estilo" in Teatro y teatristas, edited by O. Pellettieri (Buenos Aires: Galerna/Universidad de Buenos Aires, 1992), pp. 147-154.
- "Agresion textual y narrividad en Antigona furiosa de Griselda Gambaro" in De la Colonia a la Postmodernidad: Teoria teatral y critica sobre teatro latinoamericano, edited by Peter Roster and Mario Rojas (Buenos Aires: Galerna/IITCTL, 1992), pp. 215-223.
- "Querido Diego, te abraza Quiela o la escritura de un texto femenino" Alba de America, (Julio 1992), vol. 18-19, pp. 261-272.
- "Cesar Vallejo y la geometrizacion estetica del tiempo y el espacio" in Encuentro de la literatura con la ciencia y el arte, edited by Juana A. Aranciba (Westminster, Cal.: Inst. Lit. y Cult. Hispanico, 1990).
- "El drama pronominal entre 'yo/tu-vos-usted' en el discurso de Del sol naciente de Gambaro" in Reflexiones sobre Teatro Latinoamericano del siglo veinte, edited by M. A. Giella and P. Roster (Buenos Aires: Galerna, 1989).
- "La modernidad de Mio Cid Campeador: Una 'hazana' huidobriana" Letras de Buenos Aires, 1988, vol. 19, pp. 23-32.
- "El teatro de Griselda Gambaro: Vanguardismo y cultura argentina" in Identidad cultural de America en su literatura , edited by Saul Yurkievich (Madrid: Alhambra, 1986).
- "El hombre y la mosca: Parodia de un 'auto'calderoniano" in Studies in Honor of Sumner M. Greenfield, edited by Harold L. Boudreau and Luis T. Gonzalez-del-Valle (Lincoln, Nebraska: Society of Spanish and Spanish American Studies, 1985).
- "El pensamiento nahuatl en el teatro de Carlos Fuentes" in Pensamiento y literatura en America latina: Memoria del XX Congreso del Instituto Internacional de Literatura Iberoamericana (Budapest: University of Eotvos Lorand, 1982),
- "Esquematizacion y objectivacion simbolica en el teatro de Ruibal" Journal of Hispanic Studies: Twentieth Century , 1975, vol. 3, pp. 45-
Visiting Assistant Professor of Italian
- "Hyperbole in the Work of Cesare Pavese: Textual Resistance and Bodily Defiance." Italica 91.2 (2014): 167-84. Print.
- "Tre Donne Sole: Pavese's Women in Search of a Modern Identity." Quaderni D'italianistica 34.1 (2013): 153-68. Print.
Assistant Professor of Spanish
- Rev. of La Expresión Metaperiférica: Narrativa Ecuatoriana Del Siglo XX. José De La Cuadra, Jorge Icaza Y Pablo Palacio, by Fernando Nina. Revista De Estudios Hispánicos Oct. 2013: 590-93. Print.
- “El Ensayo Ecuatoriano Bajo la Mira: Un Balance Sobre Quienes son los Ecuatorianos.” Panoramica Actual de la Cultura Ecuatoriana. Eds. Claude Couffon, Michael Handelsman, Olaga Nunez Pineiro, Roger Guggisberg and Rocio Duran-Barba. Quito, Ecuador: Allpamanda Editorial, 2011: 151-158. Print.
- “Paradoxes of the Inka Utopianism of Jose Carlos Mariategui’s Seven Interpretative Essays on Peruvian Reality.” Journal of Latin American Cultural Studies 19.3 (December 2010): 317-334. Print.
- Editor: En Pos del Minero de la Noche, by J. Enrique Ojeda. Paradiso Editores, 2010.
- “El Discurso Romantico-Masculino Sobre la Virtud Femenina: Ventrilocuismo Travesti, Censura Literaria y Violencia Donjuanesca en Montalvo y Mera.” Kipus: Revista Andina de Letras no. 27 (2010): 59-82. Print.
- “Sor Juana en los Andes: Recepcion Romantica y Patriarcal de la Monja Mexicana en la Obra de Juan Leon Mera.” Ecuador y Mexico: Vinculo Historico e Inter-cultural (1820-1970). Quito: Museo de la Ciudad, 2010. 192-205. Print.
- “El Ensayo y la Critica Ecuatoriana Contemporanea 1960-2000.” Historia de las Literaturas del Ecuador (vol. VII, periodo 1960-2000, primera parte). Quito: Universidad Andina Simon Bolivar/ Corporacion Editora Nacional, 2010. pp. 253-284. Print.
- Lecturas y Relecturas: Ensayos Sobre Autores Ecuatorianos. Quito: Casa de la Cultura Ecuatoriana, 2009.
- "Las Mujeres de Juan Leon Mera: Autoria, Autoridad y Autorizacion en la Representacion Romantica de la Mujer Escritora." Revista de Critica Literaria Latinoamericana, ano XXXIV, no. 67 (2008): 189-198. Print.
- ""Alfonso Cuaron", "Alfonso Arau", "Alejandro Gonzalez Iniarritu", "Fernando DeFuentes", "Luisa Josefina Hernandez", "Angeles Mastretta", "Maria Cristina Pacheco", and "Carlos Montemayor," IN Encyclopedia of Latin American History and Culture (2nd. ed., 2008).
- Montalvo: civilizador de los bárbaros ecuatorianos, una relectura de Las Catilinarias. (Universidad Andina Simón Bolívar Serie Magíser Volumen 54, Quito, 2004).
- “Vasconcelos o la Búsqueda de la Atlántida: Exotismo, Arqueología y Utopía del Mestizaje en La Raza Cósmica.” Revista de Crítica Literaria Latinoamericana, ano XXX, no. 60 (2004): 329-345. Print
"La Sociedad de Todas las Voces: Los Zapatistas, Bajtin y los de Humanos" by Fred Evans. Revista Academica de la Facultad de Ciencias Humanas y de la Educacion, edicion no. 5 (Noviembre 2008): 44-62.
Assistant Professor of Spanish
- Poetry: "Continental Drift," "Seis Meses," "Untitled," and "Verdad Falsa," fósforo, 2: 2005.
- "Memory and Desire in Exile: The Narrative Strategies of Raining Backwards," Caribe: Revista de Culture y Literatura, Summer 2004.
- "Melancolía narrativa: Estrategias y estructuras textuales en El Licenciado Vidriera," Cuaderno Internacional de Estudios Hispánicos y Linguística , 2, Fall 2003.
Professor of French
- Close Reading: An Introduction to Literature. Boston: Longman, 2010.
- "Beckett's Waiting for Godot." An Assumption Library: Essays Presented in Celebration of the 20th Anniversary of the Emmanuel d'Alzon Library. Worcester, Mass.: Assumption College Library, c2008. 88-90.
- "Valéry's Female Alter-Ego, 'La Jeune Parque' ('The Young Fate'), published on CD-Rom with Proceedings of the 4th International Conference: Women on the Threshold of the 21st Century, Havana, Cuba, 2001.
- "'Monologue ou drame avec soi': Igitur": Nineteenth Century French Studies, Vol. 27 nos. 3-4, Spring-Summer 1999.
- "'Blood, Milk and Tears': L'écriture féminine et le refus du maternel dans La Jeune Parque de Valéry et dans le Book of Thel de William Blake": Bulletin des études valéryennes, Nos. 72-73, Nov. 1996.
- The Dramatic Monologue (New York: Twayne, 1996).
- "Le Langage monologique de la poésie: Bakhtine et Valéry," Paul Valéry: Vers anciens et poiétique des Cahiers, Albion Press: Ontario, Canada, 1993.
- "Feminine and Masculine Time in Valéry's Androgynous Autobiographical Poem, La Jeune Parque": French Forum, Vol. 17 no. 1, Jan. 1992.
- "Questions of Poetic Voice in Yeats and the French Symbolists": The Comparatist, Vol. XV, May 1991.
- "An Intellectual Autobiography: La Jeune Parque": University of South Carolina French Literature Series, Vol. XVIII, Spring 1991.
- "Problems of pagination in Valéry's Oeuvres":The French Review, Vol. 64 No. 6, May 1991.
- Stages of Self: The Dramatic Monologues of Laforgue, Mallarmé and Valéry. Athens, Ohio: Ohio University Press, 1990.
Winner of NEMLA/Ohio University Press Book Award for 1989
- "Reverdy and Valéry": Nottingham French Studies, Vol. 28 no. 2, Autumn 1989.
- "Repeated Forms in Laforgue": Nottingham French Studies, Vol. 24 no. 2 (Oct. 1985).
- "Irony in Michaux's Plume": The French Review, Vol. 56 no. 6 (May 1983).
Associate Professor of Spanish
- “Almodóvar and Hitchcock: A Sorcerer's Apprenticeship.” A Companion to Pedro Almodóvar, edited by Marvin D'Lugo and Kathleen M. Vernon. (Malden, MA, USA & Oxford, UK: Wiley-Blackwell , 2013) 59-87. Print.
- "Teaching Spanish Mysticism at an Undergraduate Catholic College: Issues of Relevance, Accessibility, and Self-Censorship." Approaches to Teaching Teresa of Ávila and the Spanish Mystics. New York: Modern Language Association, 2009: 181-189.
- "Violence, Timing and the Comedy Team in Alex de la Iglesia's Muertos de risa," IN Mathijs, Ernest and Xavier Mendik, Alternative Europe: Eurotrash and Exploitation Cinema Since 1945. London: Wallflower P., 2004. 53-63.
- "Countering Basque Terrorism: Asesinato en febrero (Spain, 2001)," IN Cabello-Castellet, George, et. al, eds. Cine-Lit V: Essays on Hispanic Film and Fiction. (Cine-Lit Publications, 2004).
- "Looking for Don Quijote's Own Shadow: An Interview with Manuel Gutiérrez Aragon about his Film ElCabellero Don Quijote (2002)," Arizona Journal of Hispanic Cultural Studies, v. 6 (2002).
- "Hitting the Mark from Television to Film: Violence, Timing, and the Comedy Team in Alex de la Iglesia's _Muertos de Risa_ (1999)" Special Issue on Spanish Film: Post Script: Essays in Film and the Humanities, Vol.21, No.2 (Winter/Spring 2002), 50-63.
- "Children of the European Union, Crossing Gendered Channels: Javier Marias' Novel Todas las almas and Gracia Querejeta's Film El ultimo viaje de Robert Rylands" in Cine-lit III, forthcoming.
- "The Marketing of Cervantine Magic for a New Global Image of Spain" in Refiguring Spain: Cinema/ Media/ Representation, edited by Marsha Kinder (Duke University Press, 1997).
- "The'Magical Episodes' of the Quijote on Film: Gutierrez Aragon's Maravillas" in Cine-Lit II: Essays on Hispanic Film and Fiction (Portland, OR: Portland State University, Oregon State University, and Reed College, 1995), pp. 86-95.
- "Rosa Chacel" in Dictionary of Literary Biography, Vol. 134: Twentieth-Century Spanish Poets: Second Series, edited by Jerry Phillips Winfield (Detroit: Gale Research Inc., 1994), pp. 57-72.
- "Cervantes on Film: Exemplary Tales and La noche mas hermosa" in Cine-Lit II: Essays on Peninsula Film and Fiction (Portland, OR: Portland State University, Oregon State University, and Reed College, 1992), pp. 25-30.
- "Censorship and Revisions: Quevedo's Prologues to the 'Suenos' " in Revista de estudios hispanicos, (Puerto Rico), 1987-8, pp. 67-77.
- "Garcia Marquez's Chronicle of a Death Foretold : Notes on Parody and the Artist" in Latin-American Literary Review, Jan/June 1985, vol. 13, pp. 90-103.
- "The Economy of Misogyny in Quevedo's Mundo por de dentro " in Women in the Literature of Medieval and Golden Age Spain: Selected Papers from the Conversations in the Disciplines Program (Syracuse: SUNY-Onondaga, 1978), pp. 64-
Associate Professor of Spanish
- "Trafficking and Consuming Sex in Global Spain: Facing Ethical Citizenship in Juan Bonilla's Los Príncipes Nubios." Revista Canadiense De Estudios Hispánicos 38.1 (2013): 145-65. Print.
- “Narrating Immigration, Gendered Spaces, and Transnational Feminism in Lucía Etxebarria’s Cosmofobia.” Letras Hispanas 9.1 (2013): 47-64. Web.
- Rev. of Feminine Agency and Transgression in Post-Franco Spain: Generational Becoming in the Narratives of Carme Riera, Cristina Fernández Cubas and Mercedes Abad., by Maria DiFrancesco. Studies in Twentieth and Twenty-First Century Literature. 35.2 (Summer 2011): 350-352. Print.
- “Colonizing Voices and Visions: Lourdes Ortiz’s ‘Fátima de los naufragios’ and ‘La piel de Marcelinda.’” Revista Canadiense de Estudios Hispánicos 30.3 (2006): 449-69.
- “Madrid y la inmigración en el cuento 'La piel de Marcelinda' de Lourdes Ortiz: ¿Un espacio de libertad o un colonialismo contemporáneo?,” Madrid en la Literatura y las Artes, Eds. Jorge H. Valdivieso and L. Teresa Valdivieso. Phoenix: Orbis Press, 2006. 62-70.
- "Going Global: Spain's Entrance into the European Union and National Anxiety in Cristina Fernández Cubas's El Año de Gracia,"Anales de la Literatura Española Contemporánea, 31 (1) 2006: 199-224.
Associate Professor of Spanish
- “De Autor a Compilador Cómplice: Luis Humberto Crosthwaite, el Mar y la Supervivencia.” Revista de Literatura Mexicana Contemporánea 16.41 (year XV, 2010): 75-83.
- “The Creation of Imaginative Reality in Juan García Ponce’s Pasado presente.” CR: The New Centennial Review 5.3 (Winter 2005): 83-104. Print.
“Imaginarios interculturales en los límites de la integración latinoamericana.” Revista Iberoamericana LXX.207 (2004): 545-564. Print.
- “La espontaneidad como ilegalidad urbana.” Procesos urbanos y las ciudades latinoamericanas en el nuevo [des]orden mundial. Marc Zimmerman and Patricio Navia, eds. Mexico City: Editorial Siglo XXI, 2004. 375-385. Print.
“Fuera de lugar: Desbordes locales en El llano en llamas de Juan Rulfo.” Cánones literarios masculinos y relecturas transculturales. Ileana Rodríguez, ed. Barcelona: Anthropos, 2001. 321-336. Print.
Various entries. Encyclopedia of Contemporary Latin American Culture. Daniel Balderston, Ana López, and Mike González, eds. London: Routledge, 2000. Various pages. With Ileana Rodríguez. Print.
- “Sergio Méndez Arceo (1907-1992).” Encyclopedia of Mexico: History, Society & Culture. Michael Warren, ed. Chicago: Fitzroy Dearborn, 1998. 791-792. Print.
Professor Emerita of French
- Translator: La Gazette Francoise, 1780-1781: Revolutionary America’s French Newspaper (Newport, R.I. : Salve Regina University c2007).
- Translator: Bernoville, Gaétan. Emmanuel d’Alzon, 1810-1880: A Champion of the XIXth Century Catholic Renaissance in France. ([Paris] : Bayard, Inc., 2003.) Co-translator: Fr. Alexis Babineau, A.A.
- Translator: Tremblay, Remi. One Came Back: A Franco-American Civil War Novel. Bennington, Vt.: Images from the Past, c2002.
- Translator: Lafortune, Hélène. The notaire as an agent of dynamism and culture in Québec society. (Société de recherche historique archiv-histo, 2001).
- Looking back - forging ahead : A centennial history of Union Saint-Jean-Baptiste. (Woonsocket, RI, Saint-Jean-Baptiste Educational Foundation : 2000).
- Editor & Translator: Chartier, Armand. The Franco-Americans of New England. (ACA Assurance; French Institute, 1999).
- Translator: Bonier, Mary Louise. The Beginnings of the Franco-American Colony in Woonsocket, Rhode Island. (French Institute, 1998).
- Editor of the Proceedings of the Annual Conferences of the French Institute (Worcester, Mass.: Institut francais). The titles for each edition follow:
-L'Emigrant quebecois vers les Etats-Unis: 1850-1920 (1982).
-The Little Canadas of New England (1983).
-Le Journalisme de langue francaise aux Etats-Unis (1984).
-L'Emigrant acadien vers les Etats-Unis (1985).
-Le Patrimoine folklorique des Franco-Americains (1986).
-Les Franco-Americains et leurs institutions scolaires (1991)
-La litterature franco-americaine: ecrivains et ecritures/ Franco-American Literature: Writers and Their Writings (1992).
-La religion populaire des Franci-Americains/ Franco-Americans and Religion: Impact and Influence(1993).
-La Femme Franco-Americaine/ The Franco-American Woman (1994).
-Steeples and Smokestacks: the Franco-American Experience in New England (1995).
- Herald of Love (1985).
- Heraut de l'amour (Quebec, 1989). Translation of Herald of Love into French by the original author.
- The First Biography of Joan of Arc. Co-authored by Daniel S. Rankin (Pittsburgh: University ofPittsburgh Press, 1964).
- The Letters of Joan of Arc (Pittsburgh, 1969).
- French Contributions to the City of Boston (Cambridge: NADC, 1976).
- Go...Repair My House (1976). English translation.
- The French Experience in North America. Co-authored with Sr. Eugenia Poulin (Rochambeau Education Committee and the Rhode Island Heritage Commission, 1981). Revised edition published in 1989.
- "La Survivance par Symbiose," Francophonies d'Amerique (1999).
Associate Professor of French
- "G. Flaubert's Journey to the Holy Land: Anticipation, Disenchantment and Enduring Fascination." Aller(s)-retour(s): Nineteenth-Century France in Motion. Eds. Loic Guyon and Andrew Watts. Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars, 2013. 125-35. Print.
- “Flaubert and the Centrality of Literature: An Analysis of the Correspondence with Mademoiselle Leroyer de Chantepie.” Romance Quarterly 59.3 (Summer 2012): 177-188.
- “Fossils And Theories Of Evolution In Gustave Flaubert's Bouvard Et Pecuchet.” 'Flaubert En Amerique' Special issue in Flaubert, Revue Critique Et Genetique, Paris, France. Vol. 5, August 2011: 1-8. Online < http://flaubert.revues.org/index1322.html>.
- “Seul dans l'Orient lointain: les voyages de Nerval et de Du Camp.” Rev. of Seul dans L'Orient lointain: les voyages de Nerval et de Du Camp, by Lise schreier. French Studies LXV.2, Spring-Summer 2011: 260-261. Online.
- Et al. “La Recherche Du Bonheur Dans La Possibilite D'une Ile De Michel Houellebecq.” L'ecriture Du Bonheur Dans Le Roman Contemporain (Selected Proceedings of the International Conference), May 2010, Univ. of Haifa, Israel. Ed. Ruth Amar. Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2011. 197-206. Print.
- "Zola, Cézanne et la Répresentation Artistique du Paysage Provençal." Les Cahiers Naturalistes 83(2009): 65-74.
- "Huysmans à Schiedam, sur les Traces de Sainte Lydwine." J.-K. Huysmans Chez Lui. Amsterdam: Rodopi, 2009. 49-61.
- "Eugene Fromentin and Rembrandt." Romance Quarterly 55.3 (2008): 231-240.
- Translator: des Vallieres, Nathalie. Saint-Exupery: Art, Writings, and Musings. New York: Rizzoli, 2005.
- "Chopin the Listener," IN Liber Amicorum Isabelle Cazeaux: Symbols, Parallels and Discoveries in Her Honor. Bempechat, Paul-Andre, ed. Festschrift Series, no. 19, pp. 291-304. (Hillsdale, N.Y. : Pendgragon Press, 2005).
- "Flaubert in Egypt: Confronting the Exotic," Romance Quarterly, Winter2004, Vol. 51 Issue 1, p29, 11p.
- "Réflexions sur le mal du siècle dans l'oeuvre poétique de Musset," IN Kanceff, E., ed., Festschrift: Stendhal L'italie, le voyage, Mélanges Offerts à Victor del Litto (Bibliogheque du voyage in Italie, University of Turin, Italy, 2003).
- "'L'Apres-midi d'un Faune': Toward the Total Work of Art," L'Esprit Createur, Fall 2000.
- Translator: Icher, Francois. Building the Great Cathedrals. (Abrams, 1999).
- Editor: Esquiros, Alphonse. Alphonse Esquiros, 1812-1876: Choix de Lettres. (Paris: Champion, 1990).
- Alphonse Esquiros, 1812-1876: A Study of His Works. (Paris: Champion, 1985).
Visiting Assistant Professor of Biology
- “Thermal behavior of poly(ethylene-co-propylene) containing carbon nanofibers.” Polymer Engineering & Science 52.2 (2012): 408-413. Print. With M. Chipara, K. Lozano, G. Georgiev, K. Sigdel and G. S. Iannacchione.
- “Thermal and viscoelastic behaviors of nanotube-reinforced polyethylene composite.” MRS Proceedings, 1312 (2011). With Mircea Chipara and Karen Lozano. Web: doi:10.1557/opl.2011.124.
“Effects of carbon nanofibers on the crystallization kinetics of polyethylene oxide.” Journal of Polymer Research 18.5 (2011): 875-880. Print. With Karen Lozano.
“The Effect of Carbon Nanofiber on the Thermo-Physical Behavior of Polyethylene Oxide.” Journal of Applied Polymer Science 120 (Feb. 2011): 3574–3580. Print. With K. Lozano, M. Chipara, J. Qualls.
Professor Emeritus of Chemistry
Translator: Bernoville, Gaétan. Emmanuel d'Alzon, 1810-1880: A Champion of the XIXth Century Catholic Renaissance in France. ([Paris]: Bayard, Inc., 2003.)
Co-translator: Claire Quintal.
Assistant Professor of Chemistry
- "Total Synthesis of Putative Montamine and a Proposed Structural Reassignment." Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry 12.35 (2014): 6878-884. Print. With Lachlan M. Blair, and Jonathan Sperry.
- “Bidirectional synthesis of montamine analogs.” Tetrahedron Letters 54.40 (2013): 5489–91. Print. With Freitas, Melanie B., Kelly A. Simollardes, Caroline M. Rufo, Chantel N. McLellan, Gabrielle J. Dugas, and Leslie E. Lupien.
- "Asymmetric Catalysis Mediated by Synthetic Peptides." Chemical Reviews 107.12 (2007): 5759-5812. Co-authored with Steven M. Mennen, Yingju Xu, and Scott J. Miller.
- "Total Syntheses of Amphidinolides T1 and T4 via Catalytic, Stereoselective Reductive Macrocyclizations." Journal of the American Chemical Society 127 (2005): 4297-4307. Co-authored with K. C. O’Brien and T. F. Jamison.
- "A Comparative Analysis of the Total Syntheses of the Amphidinolide T Natural Products." Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry 3 (2005): 2675-2684. Co-authored with T. F. Jamison.
- "Synthesis of C13-C22 of Amphidinolide T2 via Nickel-Catalyzed Reductive Coupling of an Alkyne and a Terminal Epoxide." Tetrahedron 61 (2005): 6243-6248. Co-authored with K. C. O’Brien and T. F. Jamison.
- "Asymmetric Catalytic Reductive Couplings of 1,3-Enynes and Aromatic Aldehydes." Advanced Synthesis and Catalysis 347 (2005): 1533-1536. Co-authored with K. M. Miller, K. S. Woodin, and T. F. Jamison.
- "Synthesis of Amphidinolide T1 via Catalytic Stereoselective Macrocyclization." Journal of the American Chemical Society 126 (2004): 998-999. Co-authored with K. C. O’Brien, K. C. and T. F. Jamison.
- "P-Chiral, Monodentate Ferrocenyl Phosphines, Novel Ligands for Asymmetric Catalysis." Journal of Organic Chemistry 68 (2003): 156-166. Co-authored with T. F. Jamison.
Professor of Biology
“Exposure to the steroid hormone 20-hydroxyecdysone modulates agonistic interactions in male Homarus americanus.” Hormones and Behavior. (2012). Web. doi:10.1016/j.yhbeh.2012.07.013. With V.L. Reinhart, M.W. Sipala, and G. Kass-Simon.
- Coglianese, Debra L., Stuart I. Cromarty, G. Kass-Simon. "Perception of the Steroid Hormone 20-Hydroxyecdysone Modulates Agonistic Interactions in Homarus Americanus." Animal Behavior 76.6 (2008): 2023-2034.
- Rutishauser, R.L., A.C. Basu, S.I. Cromarty and E.A. Kravitz (2004). Long-term Consequences of Agonistic Interactions Between Socially Naïve Juvenile American Lobsters (Homarus americanus).The Biological Bulletin, 207.3 (Dec. 2004), 183(5)
- Hörner, M., R. Heinrich, S.I. Cromarty and E.A. Kravitz (2002). Synaptic connectivity of amine-containing neurosecretory cells of lobsters: Inputs to 5HT- and OCT-containing neurons. In. Wiese, K. (ed.) The Crustacean Nervous System. pp. 156-172, Springer Verlag, Germany.
- Heinrich, R., M. Hörner, S.I. Cromarty and E.A. Kravitz (2002). Intrinsic properties of amine-containing neurosecretory cells of lobsters: Spontaneous activity and autoinhibition. In. Wiese, K. (ed.) The Crustacean Nervous System. pp. 173-185, 2002. Springer Verlag, Germany.
- Doernberg, S. S.I. Cromarty, R. Heinrich, B.S. Beltz. and E.A. Kravitz (2001). Agonistic behavior in naïve juvenile lobsters depleted of serotonin by 5,7-dihydroxytryptamine. J. of Comp. Physiol. A. 187:91-103.
- Cromarty, S.I., J. Mello and G. Kass-Simon (2000). Molt-related and size dependent differences in the escape response behavior of the American lobster, Homarus americanus. Biol. Bull. 199:265-277.
- Mello, J., S.I. Cromarty, and G. Kass-Simon (1999). Increased aggressiveness in gravid female American lobsters, Homarus americanus. Aggr. Behav. 25:451-472.
- Cromarty, S.I., J. Mello and G. Kass-Simon (1999). Time in residence affects escape and agonistic behavior in adult male American lobsters. Biol. Bull. 196(1):105-112.
- Heinrich, R., S.I. Cromarty, M. Hörner, D.H. Edwards and E.A. Kravitz (1999). Autoinhibition of serotonin cells: an intrinsic regulatory mechanism sensitive to the pattern of usage of the cells. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci . 96(5):2473-2478.
- Ruffner, M., S.I. Cromarty and R. Cooper (1999). Synaptic depression in Drosophila neuromuscular junctions by 20-hydroxyecdysone. J. Neurophysiol. 81(2):788-794.
- Cromarty, S.I. and C.D. Derby (1998). Neural coding of complex odorant mixtures: inhibitory receptor binding events among a mixture's components contribute to mixture suppression in olfactory receptor neurons of spiny lobsters. J. Comp. Physiol. 183A (6):699-707.
- Cromarty, S.I. and G. Kass-Simon (1998). Differential effects of a molting hormone, 20-hydroxyecdysone, on the neuromuscular junctions of the claw opener and abdominal flexor muscles of the American lobster. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 120A (2):289-300.
- Cromarty, S.I., J. Mello and G. Kass-Simon (1998). Comparative analysis of escape behavior in male, and gravid and non-gravid female lobsters. Biol. Bull. 194 (1):63-71.
- Cromarty, S.I. and C.D. Derby (1997). Multiple receptor types on individual receptor neurons: Implications for coding of binary mixtures in the spiny lobster. J. Comp. Physiol. 180A:481-491.
- Cromarty, S.I., J.S. Cobb and G. Kass-Simon. (1991). Behavioral analysis of the escape response in juvenile American lobsters, Homarus americanus over the molt cycle. J. Exp. Biol. 158: 565-581.
Associate Professor of Chemistry
- "Antiplatelet Activity, P2Y1 and P2Y12 Inhibition, and Metabolism in Plasma of Stereoisomers of Diadenosine 5',5'''-P1,P4-dithio-P2,P3-chloromethylenetetraphosphate." PLoS ONE 9.4 (2014): 1-8. 10 Apr. 2014. Web. With H. Chang, I.B. Yanachkov, M. Yanachkov, Y.F. Li, M.R. Barnard, G.E. Wright, A.D. Michelson, A.L. Frelinger III.
- “P1,P2-Diimidazolyl Derivatives of Pyrophosphate and Bis-Phosphonates – Synthesis, Properties, and Use in Preparation of Dinucleoside Tetraphosphates and Analogs.” Organic & Biomolecular Chemistry 9 (2011): 730-738. With Ivan B. Yanachkov, Milka I. Yanachkova and George E. Wright. Print.
- "Hybrid Antibacterials. DNA Polymerase-Topoisomerase Inhibitors," co-authored with Zhi, C.; Long, Z.-y.; Manikowski, A.; Comstock, J.; Xu, W.-C.; Brown, N. C.; Tarantino, P. M., Jr.; Holm, K. A.; Wright, G. E.; Barnes, M. H.; Butler, M. M.; Foster, K. A.; LaMarr, W. A.; Bachand, B.; Bethell, R.; Cadilhac, C.; Charron, S.; Lamothe, S.; Motorina, I.; Storer, R. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 2006; 49(4); 1455-1465.
- "Synthesis and Antibacterial Activity of 3-Substituted-6-(3-ethyl-4-methylanilino)uracils," Co-authored with Chengxin Zhi, et al. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 2005.
- "Protonation of Diarylcarbenes by Alcohols: the Importance of Ion Pair Dynamics," Co-authored with Joshua L. Goodman, Journal of Physical Chemistry, 1994, vol. 98, item 12609.
- "The Contribution of Quantum Mechanical Tunneling to the 1,2-Hydrogen Rearrangement of Methylbromocarbene" Co-authored with Joshua L. Goodman, Reactive Intermediates, 1993, pp. 149.
- "The 1,2-Hydrogen Rearrangement of Methylchlorocarbene: Contribution of Quantum Mechanical Tunneling" Co-authored with Michael S. Herman and Joshua L. Goodman, Journal of the American Chemical Society
Asssitant Professor of Biology
- "Host Cell Autophagy Promotes BK Virus Infection." Virology 456-457 (2014): 87-95. Print. With Stephanie J. Bouley, Melissa S. Maginnis, Aaron Derdowski, Gretchen V. Gee, Bethany A. O'Hara, Christian D. Nelson, Anne M. Bara, Walter J. Atwood.
- “IL-1α Signaling Initiates the Inflammatory Response to Virulent Legionella pneumophila In Vivo.” Journal of Immunology 190.12 (2013): 6329-6339. Print. With KC Barry, MF Fontana, JL Portman, AS Dugan, RE Vance.
- “Transcriptional Regulation of BK Virus by Nuclear Factor of Activated T Cells.”
Journal of Virology 84. 4 (2010): 1722-1730. With J.A. Jordan, K. Manley, B. A. O’Hara and W.J.Atwood.
- “Modulation of PML Protein Expression Regulates JCV Infection.” Virology 390.2 (2009): 279-288. With M.L. Gasparovic, M.S. Maginnis, B.A. O'Hara, W.J., Atwood. Print.
“DupA: A Key Regulator of the Amoebal MAP Kinase Response to Legionella Pneumophila.” Cell Host & Microbe 6.3 (2009): 253-267. With Z. Li, G. Bloomfield, J. Skelton, A. Ivens, V. Losick, R.R. Isberg. Print.
- "Human α-Defensins Inhibit BK Virus Infection by Aggregating Virions and Blocking Binding to Host Cells." Journal of Biological Chemistry 283.45 (2008): 31125-32.With Melissa S. Maginnis, Joslynn A. Jordan, Megan L. Gasparovic, Kate Manley, Rebecca Page, Geoffrey Williams, Edith Porter, Bethany A. O'Hara and Walter J. Atwood.
- "Direct correlation between sialic acid binding and infection of cells by two human polyomaviruses (JCV and BKV)." Journal of Virology 82.5 (2008): 2560-2564. With Megan L. Gasparovic and Walter J. Atwood.
"Identification of amino acid residues in BK virus VP1 that are critical for viability and growth." Journal of Virology 81.21 (2007): 11798-11808.
With Megan L. Gasparovic, Natia Tsomaia, Dale F. Mierke, Bethany A. O'Hara, Kate Manley, and Walter J. Atwood.
"Update on BK virus entry and intracellular trafficking." Transplant Infectious Disease 8.2 (2006): 62-67.
With Sylvia Eash and Walter J. Atwood.
- "The role of sialic acid in human polyomavirus infections." Glycoconj Journal 23.1-2 (2006): 19-26. With Gretchen V. Gee, Natia Tsomaia, Dale F. Mierke and Walter J. Atwood.
- "The α6β4 Integrin Maintains the Survival of Human Breast Carcinoma Cells In vivo."
Cancer Research 65.23 (2005): 10970-6. With Elizabeth A. Lipscomb, Kaylene J. Simpson, Stephen R. Lyle, Jennifer E. Ring, and Arthur M. Mercurio.
- "An N-Linked Glycoprotein with α (2,3)-Linked Sialic Acid Is a Receptor for BK Virus." Journal of Virology 79.22 (2005): 14442-14445. With Sylvia Eash and Walter J. Atwood.
- "Functional analysis of the contribution of RhoA and RhoC GTPases to invasive breast carcinoma." Cancer Research 64.23 (2004): 8694-8701. With Kaylene J. Simpson and Arthur M. Mercurio.
- "The Human Polyomavirus, JCV, Uses Serotonin Receptors to Infect Cells." Science 306.5700 (2004): 1380-1383. With Gwendolyn F. Elphick, William Querbes, Joslynn A. Jordan, Gretchen V. Gee, Sylvia Eash, Kate Manley, Megan Stanifer, Anushree Bhatnagar, Wesley K. Kroeze, Bryan L. Roth, and Walter J. Atwood.
- "Use of RNA interference to inhibit integrin (alpha6beta4)-mediated invasion and migration of breast carcinoma cells." Clinical & Experimental Metastasis 20.6 ( 2003): 569-76. With Elizabeth A. Lipscomb, Isaac Rabinovitz and Arthur M. Mercurio
Assistant Professor of Physics
- "Microfluidic Space-Domain Time-Resolved Emission Spectroscopy of Terbium(III) and Europium(III) Chelates with Pyridine-2,6-Dicarboxylate." Analytical Chemistry 85.9 (2013): 4567-577. Print. With Vicente Nuñez, Srigokul Upadhyayula, Brent Millare, Jillian M. Larsen, Ali Hadian, Sanghoon Shin, Prashanthi Vandrangi, Sharad Gupta, Hong Xu, Adam P. Lin, and Valentine I. Vullev.
- “Calorimetric Study of Nanocomposites of Multiwalled Carbon Nanotubes and Isotactic Polypropylene Polymer.” Journal of Applied Polymer Science 130.1 (2013): 587–94. Print. With P. Kalakonda, G. S. Iannacchione, M. Daly, Y. Cabrera, R. Judith, P.Cebe.
- “Structure-Electrical Transport Property Relationship of Anisotropic iPP/CNT Films.” MRS Proceedings, 1499 (2013). Web: doi:10.1557/opl.2013.445. With P. Kalakonda, M.Daly, K. Xu, Y. Cabrera, R. Judith, G. Iannacchione, and P. Cebe.
- “iPP/CNTs Multifunctional Polymer Nanocomposite.”, MRS Proceedings, 1403, Symposium V – Multifunctional Polymer-Based Materials . (2012). Web. DOI: 10.1557/opl.2012.371. With Parvathalu Kalakonda, Sabyasachi Sarkar, Erin A. Gombos, Germano Iannacchione and Peggy Cebe.
- “Thermal Transport Properties of Melt-Shear Oriented iPP/Carbon Nanotube Thin Films.” MRS Proceedings, 1410 , Symposium DD – Transport Properties in Polymer Nanocomposites II. (2012). Web. doi:10.1557/opl.2012.350. With Parvathalu Kalakonda, Erin A. Gombos, , Germano S. Iannacchione and Peggy Cebe.
- “A Quantitative Measure, Mechanism and Attractor for Self-Organization in Networked Complex Systems.” Self Organizing Systems, Proceedings of the 6th IFIP Workshop, IWSOS 2012. Eds. F.A. Kuipers and P.E. Heegaard. New York, NY, Springer, Boston, MA, Kluwer. (2012): 90-95. Web.
- “Thermal Behavior of Poly(ethylene-co-propylene) Containing Carbon Nanofibers.” Polymer Engineering and Science 52.2 (Feb. 2012): 408-413. Print. With A.R. Adhikari, K. Sigdel, G.S. Iannacchione, K. Lozano, M. Chipara.
- “Electrical Conductivity of Anisotropic iPP Carbon Nanotube Thin Films.” Transport Properties in Polymer Nanocomposites II. MRS Proceedings, 1410 Symposium DD, (2012) Web. DOI: 10.1557/opl.2012.817. With Parvathalu Kalakonda, Erin A. Gombos, Gajinder S. Hoonjan, Germano S. Iannacchione, and Peggy Cebe.
- “Optical Transport Properties of Oriented iPP/Carbon Nanotube Nanocomposite Thin Films.” Transport Properties in Polymer Nanocomposites. MRS Proceedings, 1410, Symposium DD. (2012). Web. DOI: 10.1557/opl.2012.827. With S. Sarkar, P. Kalakonda, G.S. Iannacchione and P. Cebe.
- “Constraints in semicrystalline polymers: Using quasi-isothermal analysis to investigate the mechanisms of formation and loss of the rigid amorphous fraction.” Polymer 52 (Fall 2011): 4562 – 4570. Print. With Qian Ma and Peggy Cebe.
“Carbon Nanotubes Induced Changes in the Phase Diagram and Crystal Structure of 5CB Liquid Crystal.” MRS Proceedings, 1293 (2011). With Michael B. McIntyre, Erin A. Gombos and Peggy Cebe. Web: doi:10.1557/opl.2011.142.
- “pi-pi Stacking Molecular Interactions Between Carbon Nanotubes and 5CB Liquid Crystal.” Mater. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. v. 1293 (2011). With Erin A. Gombos, Michael B. McIntyre and Peggy Cebe. Web.
- “Interplay Between the Crystal and Liquid Crystalline Ordering of iPP and Carbon Nanotube Composites under Melt-Shear.” Mater. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. v. 1308 (2011). With Michael B. McIntyre, Robert Judith, Erin A. Gombos, and Peggy Cebe. Web.
- “Melt-Quench Formed Smectic Phase in iPP/CNT Nanocomposites and its Re- Crystallization.” Mater. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. v. 1312 (January 2011). With Yaniel Cabrera, Lauren Wielgus, Scott Schoen, Devin Ivy and Peggy Cebe. Web.
- “Crystallization Kinetics in Isotactic Polypropylene Films with Carbon Nanotubes.” Mater. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. v. 1312 (January 2011). With Scott Schoen, Devin Ivy, Lauren Wielgus, Yaniel Cabrera, and Peggy Cebe. Web.
- “Computerized Stokes Analysis of Optically Active Polymer Films.” Physics Education I 37.4 (October-December 2010): 1-11. With Thomas Slavkovsky. Print.
- “Interactions Between Carbon Nanotubes and Liquid Crystals in Binary Nematic Electro-Optic Cells.” Materials Research Society fall 2009 Meeting Proceeding, Nanoscale Pattern Formation, 1228E-KK11-81 (2010). With Erin A Gombos, Michael B McIntyre, Michael F Mattera, Peter Gati, Yaniel Cabrera, Peggy Cebe.
- “Carbon Nanotube-Induced Changes of Crystal Growth In Polymer Films.” Materials Research Society fall 2008 Meeting Proceeding, v1150-RR04-16 (2009). With Yaniel Cabrera, Lauren Wielgus, Zarnab Iftikhar, Michael Mattera, Peter Gati, Austin Potter, and Peggy Cebe.
- "Effects of Nematic Polymer Liquid Crystal on Crystallization and Stsructure of PET/Vectra Blends," co-authored with Cebe, P. and Capel, M. Journal of Materials Science, 40 (5): 1141-1152(2005).
- "Ultrafast and Low Barrier Motions in the Photoreactions of the Green Fluorescent Protein," co-authoried with van Thor, J., Towrie, M. and Sage, JT. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 280 (39): 33652-33659 (2005).
- "Direct Probe of functional Fe Vibrarions Elucidates NO Activation of Heme Proteins," co-authored with Zeng, W., Silvernail, NJ., Wharton DC, G Y, Leu, BM., Scheidt, WR., Zhao, J., Sturhahn, W., Alp, EE., and Sage, JT. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 127 (32): 11200-11201 (2005).
- "CO Rebinding to Protoheme: Investigations of the Proximal and Distal Contributions to the Geminate Rebinding Barrier," co-authored with Ye, X., Yu, AC., Gruia, F., Ionascu, D., Cao, WX., Sage, JT., Champion, PM. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 127 (16): 5854-5861 (2005).
- Georgiev G., Nathan G., Peggy C., and Malcolm C., “Phase Transitions and Structural Parameters of HIQ-40 Liquid Crystalline Co-Polyester” Polymer, 45, p. 3429-3440 (2004).
- Cao W., Ye X., Georgiev G. Y., Berezhna S., Sjodin T., Demidov A. A., Wang W., Sage J. T., and Champion P. M., “Proximal and Distal Influences on Ligand Binding Kinetics in Microperoxidase and Heme Model Compounds” Biochemistry, 43(22), p. 7017-7027 (2004).
- Sage J. T., Leu B., Zeng W., Georgiev G., Wharton D. C., Wyllie G. R. A., Scheidt W. R., Zgierski M. Z., Durbin S. M. and Sturhahn, W. “Quantitative vibrational dynamics of iron in porphyrins and proteins” Journal of Porphyrins and Phthalocyanines, 8(4/5/6), p. 561 (2004).
- Georgiev G., Georgiev I., “The least action and the metric of an organized system” Open Systems and Information Dynamics, 9(4), p. 371-380 (2002).
- Georgiev G., Shuanghua P., Oyebode E., Cebe P., and Capel M., “Real-Time Small Angle X-ray Scattering Study of Two-Stage Melt Crystallization of PEEK” Journal of Materials Science, 36(6), p. 1349-1361 (2001)
- Georgiev G., Dai P., Oyebode E., Cebe P., and Capel M., “Synchrotron Small Angle X-ray Scattering of Melt Crystallized Polymers” Proceedings of the Materials Research Society. Symposium on Applications of Synchrotron Radiation Techniques to Materials Science V, 590, p 137-143 (2000).
- Sage J. T., Georgiev G., and van Thor J., “Electrostatic Steering of Functional Dynamics in GFP” Bulletin of the American Physical Society, 51(1), W26-8 (March 2006).
- Georgiev, G., Cebe, P., Valluzzi, R., and Kaplan, D., “X-ray scattering and optical ellipsometric studies of collagen-model peptides” Bulletin of the American Physical Society, 48(1), C-1201G (March 2003).
- Georgiev G., Gilfoy N., Cebe P., “Small angle X-ray scattering study of PET/Vectra blends” Poly ACS, Polymer Preprints, 43(2), p. 1223 (2002).
- Cebe P., Dai P., Georgiev G., Feinberg B., Gilfoy N., Capel M., “X-ray diffraction and optical ellipsometry: Complementary techniques for study of polymer structure” Poly ACS, Polymer Preprints, 43(1), p. 242 (2002).
- Georgiev G., “Structural studies of polymers and polymer liquid crystals by X-ray scattering, thermal analysis and ellipsometric studies through polarized light microscopy “ Ph.D. Thesis, TUFTS University, Medford, MA (2002).
- Cebe P., Georgiev G., Dai P. and Capel M., “Structural Studies of Polymers Using Small Angle X-ray Scattering and Optical Ellipsometry” Proceedings of the American Crystallographic Association, Inc, p. 70 (July 21-26 2001).
- Cebe P., Georgiev G., Dai P. and Capel M., “Structural Studies of Polymers Using Small Angle X-ray Scattering and Optical Ellipsometry” Proceedings of the American Crystallographic Association, Inc, p. 70 (July 21-26 2001).
- Georgiev G., and Cebe P., “Two-Dimensional, Time-Resolved Optical Ellipsometric Studies of Polymer Orientation” Bulletin of the American Physical Society, 46(1), D40-131 (March 2001).
- Georgiev G., Berns D., and Cebe P., “Two-Dimensional, Time-Resolved Optical Ellipsometry: A Technique for Studies of Polymer Orientation” Proceedings of the American Chemical Society, Polymeric Materials: Science and Engineering, Spring Meeting, 84, p. 1012 (2001).
- Georgiev G., Gilford N., Dubner S. and Cebe P., “Phase transitions in a Liquid Crystalline Co-polyester Studied by SAXS, Modulated Calorimetry, and Optical Ellipsometry” Proceedings of the American Chemical Society, Polymeric Materials: Science and Engineering, Chicago, August 26-30, 85, p. 121 (2001).
- Georgiev G., Berns D. and Cebe P., “Study of Development of Polymer Structure in Microgravity Using Ellipsometry” Proceedings of the National Aeronautic and Space Administration, Microgravity Materials Science Conference, p. 35-36 (June 2000).
- Georgiev G., Dai P., Oyebode E., Cebe P., and Capel M., “Effects of Melt Processing on Evolution of Structure in PEEK” Proceedings of the National Aeronautic and Space Administration, Microgravity Materials Science Conference, Huntsville, Alabama, p. 107-108 (Feb. 1999).
- Georgiev G., Dai P., Oyebode E., Cebe P., and Capel M., “Real Time SAXS and Thermal Analysis Study of Multiple Melting Behavior in PEEK” Proceedings of the American Chemical Society. Polymer Materials: Science and Engineering, 79, p. 336 (1998).
- Georgiev G., Dai P., Oyebode E., Cebe P., and Capel M., “Small angle X-ray Scattering Study and Thermal Analysis of Two Stage Melt Crystallization of PEEK”, Bulletin of the American Physical Society, 43(1), p. 269 (1998).
- Georgiev G., Dai P., Oyebode E., Cebe P., and Capel M., “Thermal Analysis and X-ray Study of Two Stage Melt Crystallization of PEEK” Proceedings of the American Chemical Society, Polymeric Materials: Science and Engineering, 78, p. 215-216 (1998).
- Georgiev G., “Investigation of the system of open clusters in our Galaxy through uvbγ electro-photometry” M. S. Thesis, Sofia University, Sofia, Bulgaria (1994).
- Georgiev G., “The development – from the atom to the society” (Pegas press, Sofia, 1993).
Assistant Professor of Chemistry
“Leaching of Silver from Silver-Impregnated Food Storage Containers.” Journal of Chemical Education (July 12, 2011). With Brian Niece. Print.
- "Remediation of Acid Mine Drainage with Sulfate Reducing Bacteria." Journal of Chemical Education 86.2 (February 2009): 216-218.
- “Copper Chelation in Discharged Groundwater via EDTA Addition: a Real World Application,” Water Environment Research, V78, No.13, December 2006.
- "Reduction in Labile Copper in the 7 Day Ceriodaphnia dubia Toxicity Test due to the interaction with zooplankton food," Chemosphere 56 (2004): 717-723. Co-authored with A.J. Horne.
Adjunct Faculty in Natural Sciences
Assistant Professor of Biology
- "Isolation and Culture of Dissociated Sensory Neurons from Chick Embryos." Journal of Visualized Experiments 91 (2014): n. pag. 24 Sept. 2014. Web. With Sarah Powell, and Amrit Vinod.
- Integrins and CAMP Mediate Netrin-induced Growth Cone Collapse." Brain Research Article In Press (2013): Web. With M. L. Abanto, N. Dambrouskas, C. C. Clements, Z. DeLoughery, J. Garozzo, and M. L. Condic.
- “Characterizing Mystery Cell Lines: Student-driven Research Projects in an Undergraduate Neuroscience Course.” The Journal of Undergraduate Neuroscience Education, 10.2 (Spring 2012): A96-A104. Print.
- "Integrin Signaling Is Integral to Regeneration." Experimental Neurology, 209(2), February 2008, p. 343-352.
Print. With M. L. Condic.
- "Combined Integrin Activation and Intracellular cAMP Cause Rho GTPase Dependent Growth Cone Collapse on Laminin-1." Experimental Neurology, 202(2), December 2006, p. 324-335.
Print. With M. L. Condic.
- "Adaptation of Sensory Neurons to Hyalectin and Decorin Proteoglycans." The Journal of Neuroscience, 25(20), May 18, 2005, p. 4964-4973.
Print. With S. Barua, M. L. Abanto, W. Halfter, and M. L. Condic.
- "Intact Aggrecan and Chondroitin Sulfate-Depleted Aggrecan Core Glycoprotein Inhibit Axon Growth in the Adult Rat Spinal Cord." Experimental Neurology, 184(2), December 2003, p. 981-990.
Print. With J. D. Sandy, D. K. Anderson, and D. R. Howland.
- "Extracellular Matrix in Spinal Cord Regeneration: Getting Beyond Attraction and Inhibition." Neuroreport, 13(3), March 4, 2002, p. A37-A48.
Print. With M. L. Condic.
- "Intact Aggrecan and Fragments Generated by Both Aggrecanse and Metalloproteinase-like Activities are Present in the Developing and Adult Rat Spinal Cord and Their Relative Abundance is Altered by Injury." The Journal of Neuroscience, 21(13), July 2, 2001, p. 4772-4781.
Print. With J. D. Sandy, D. K. Anderson, and D. R. Howland.
- "Chondroitin Sulfate Proteoglycan Immunoreactivity Increases Following Spinal Cord Injury and Transplantation." Experimental Neurology, 160(1), November 1999, p. 51-65.
Print. With D. R. Howland, and D. K. Anderson.
Professor Emeritus of Biology
- "Glycoprotein Interactions in Paramyxovirus Fusion." Future Virology 4.4 (2009): 335-351.
- "Paramyxoviruses: Different Receptors--Different Mechanisms of Fusion." Trends in Microbiology 30.10.
- "An oligosaccharide at the C-terminus of the F-specific domain in the stalk of the human parainfluenza virus 3 hemagglutinin–neuraminidase modulates fusion," Co-authored with: Wang, Zhiyu; Mirza, Anne M.; Li, Jianrong; and Iorio, Ronald M.. Virus Research, Feb2004, Vol. 99 Issue 2, p177, 9p.
- "Structural and Functional Relationship between the Receptor Recognition and Neuraminidase Activities of theNewcastle Disease Virus Hemagglutinin-Neuraminidase Protein: Receptor Recognition is Dependent on Neuraminidase Activity," Journal of Virology, February 2001.
- "Functional Chimeric HN Glycoproteins Derived from Newcastle Disease Virus and Human Paraqinfluenza Virus-3" Co-authored with Ruitang Deng et al. in Archives of Virology. Also published in Viral Zoonoses and Food of Animal Origin: a Re-evaluation of Possible Hazards for Human Health (Springer-Verlag/Wein, 1997).
- "Cooperativity in a Viral Neuraminidase and its Elimination by Antibody-selected Mutations near the Active Site" Co-authored with Ruitang Deng et al. in Virology, 1995, vol. 213, pp. 241-244.
- "Inhibition of Acetylcholinesterase in vitro by Pentylenetetrazole" Co-authored with J. J. Brink in Journal of Neurochemistry, 1970, vol. 17, pp. 949-953.
Assistant Professor of Biology
- "An Impermeant Ganetespib Analog Inhibits Extracellular Hsp90-Mediated Cancer Cell Migration That Involves Lysyl Oxidase 2-like Protein."Cancers 6 (2014): 1031-046. Print. With Daniel S. Wong, Joseph A. Burlison, Weiwen Ying, and Daniel G. Jay.
- "Pregnancy-associated Breast Cancers Are Driven by Differences in Adipose Stromal Cells Present during Lactation." Breast Cancer Research 16 (2014): R2.Web. With Lisa M. Arendt, Eugene Glover, Vandana Iyer, Jerrica L. Briendel, Stephen R. Lyle, Stephen P. Naber, Daniel G. Jay, and Charlotte Kuperwasser.
- "Obesity Promotes Breast Cancer by CCL2-Medited Macrophage Recruitment and Angiogenesis." Cancer Research 73.19 (2013): 6080-93. Print. With Lisa M. Arendt, Patricia J. Keller, Dana D Baker, Stephen P. Naber, Victoria Seewaldt, Charlotte Kuperwasser.
Professor Emeritus of Chemistry
- "Novel Peripherally Functionalized Seco-Porphyrazines: Synthesis, Characterization and Spectroscopic Evaluation," Tetrahedron 59 (2003): 9083-9090. Co-authored with E.G. Sakellariou, A.G. Montalban, S.L. Beall, D. Henderson, D. Phillips, K. Suhling, A.G. Barrett, and B.M. Hoffman.
- "Synthesis and Reactions of Aminoporphyrazines with Annulated Five- and Seven-Membered Rings," Journal of Organic Chemistry, 67 (2003): 1665-1670. Co-authored with S.M. Baum, A.A. Trabanco, A.M. Montalban, A.S. Micallef, C. Zhong, K. Suhling, D. Phillips, A. White, D. Williams, A. Barrett, and B. Hoffman.
- "Peripherally Metalated Secopophyrazines: A New Generation of Photoactive Pigments," Inorganic Chemistry, 41 (2002): 2182-2187. Co-authored with E. Sakellariou, A. Montalban, G. Rumbles, D. Phillips, R. Ostler, K. Suhling, A. Barrett and B. Hoffman.
- "Synthesis and Photophysical Properties of Peripherally Methallated Bis(dimethylamino)porphyrazines," Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A: Chemistry, 136 (2000): 185-187. Co-authored with E. Sakellariou, A. Montalban, R. Ostler, G. Rumbles, A. Barrett, and B. Hoffman.
- "The Photo-peroxidation of a Diamino Zinc Porphyrazine to the Seco-Zinc Porphyrazine: Suicide or Murder?" Journal of Physical Chemistry, 103 (A 1999): 4352-4358. Co-uthoredwith A. Garrido Montalban, R. Ostler, A.G.M. Barrett, B.M. Hoffman and G. Rumbles.
- "Enhanced Electrochemical Performance in the Development of the Aluminum/Hydrogen Peroxide Semi-fuel Cell," Journal of Power Sources, 65 (1997): 207-212. Co-authored with E.G. Dow, R.R. Bessette, G.L. Seeback, C. Marsh-Orndorff, J. VanZee, and M.G. Medeiros.
- "Kinetics and Branching Ratios of the Reactions NH2 + NO2 -> N2O + H2O and NH2 + NO2 -> H2NO + NO Studied by Pulse Radiolysis Combined with Time-resolved Infrared Diode Laser Spectroscopy," Chemical Physics Letters, 261 (1996): 277-282. Co-authored with P. Pagsberg and A. Sillesen.
- "The Photophysics of Disulphonated Metallophthalocyanines Upon Complexation with Fluoride," Journal of the Chemical Society. Faraday Transactions, 92 (1996): 2689-2695. Co-authored with S.M. Bishop, A. Beeby, A.W. Parker, M.S.C. Foley and D. Phillips.
- "Triplet State Photophysics of Phthalocyanine Photosensetizers" Co-authored with A. Beeby et al. in SERC Central Laser Facility Annual Report 1993, RAL-93-031, pp. 158-159.
- "Complexing of Fluoride Ions to Disulphonated Aluminum Phthalocyanine, Proceedings: Photodynamic Therapy and Medical Laser Applications" Co-authored with A. Beeby et al. in Photodynamic Therapy and Biomedical Lasers , edited by P. Spinelli et al. (Elsevier Science Publishing, 1992), pp. 780-783.
- "Uranyl Ions in Perfuorinated Membranes: Spectroscopic and Photophysical Properties and Reactions with Potassium Hydroxide" Co-authored with J. Kelly and D. McCormack in Polymer, 1990, vol. 31, p. 387.
- "Reactions pf CFCI Studied by Laser-induced Fluorescence" Co-authored with J. Purdy and B. Thrush in J. C. S. Faraday, 1980, vol. 76, item 1304.
- "Benzoquinone as a Fuel Cell Cathode" Co-authored with H. P. Hirschler in Proceedings: Twenty-seventh Power Source Symposium , 1974, p. 184.
- "Photochemically Activated Cyclopropane Produced from the Photolysis of 1-pyrazoline" Co-authored with P. Cadman and A. F. Trotman-Dickenson in Journal of the American Chemical Society, 1969, vol. 91, item 7640.
- "Comparison of the Sterol Content of Certain Phodophyta" Co-authored with S. Zelinski and L. Worthen in Food, Drugs from the Sea Proceedings , 1969, p. 319.
- "Kinetics of the Photoaddition of Trifluoromethyl Iodine to Allene" Co-authored with Paul I. Abell in Journal of Physical Chemistry , 1967, vol. 71, item 1943.
- "Bromine Atom Catalyzed Isomerization of Terminal Olefins II: the Propargyl Bromide-bromoallene System" Co-authored with Paul I. Abell in Tetrahedron Letters, 1967, item 3633.
Associate Professor of Chemistry
- “Determination of Mercury in Fish: A Low-Cost Implementation of Cold-Vapor Atomic Absorbance for the Undergraduate Environmental Chemistry Laboratory.” Journal of Chemical Education 90.4 (April 9, 2013): 487-489. Print. With Hauri, J.
- “A Spreadsheet to Facilitate Group Theory Calculations and Display of Character Tables.” Journal of Chemical Education 89.12 (November 13, 2012): 1604–1605. Print.
- “Leaching of Silver from Silver-Impregnated Food Storage Containers.” Journal of Chemical Education 88.10 (October 1, 2011): 1407–1409. Print.
- "Showcasing 2D NMR Spectroscopy in an Undergraduate Setting: Implementation of HOMO-2D J-Resolved Experiments on Permanent Magnet NMR Systems," Niece, B. K and Moyna, G. in Modern NMR Spectroscopy in Education, Rovynak, D. and Stockland, R. Jr., eds. American Chemical Society, Washington, D.C.: 2007, pp. 335-349.
- "Simultaneous Display of Spectral Images and Graphs Using a Web Camera and Fiber-Optic Spectrophotometer," Journal of Chemical Education, 83, 762-764, May 2006.
- "Animating Graphical Data During Lecture to Stimulate Real-Time Data Collection," Journal of Chemical Education, 83, 508-509, March 2006.
- "Who is Responsible for a Fraud: An Exercise Examining Research Misconduct and the Obligations of Authorship through Case Studies," Journal of Chemical Education, 82, 1521-1522, October 2005.
- "Formation of Ordered Multilayers from Polyoxometalates and Silver on Electrode Surfaces," Kim, J., Lee, L., Niece, B.K., Wang, J.X., Gewirth, A.A. J. Phys. Chem. B 2004, 108, 7927-2933.
- "Potential-Step Chronocoulometric and Quartz Crystal Microbalance Investigations of Underpotentially Deposited Tl on Au(111) electrodes," Niece, B. K.; Gewirth, A. A., J. Phys. Chem. B 1998, 102, 818-823.
- "STM and AFM Studies of the Electrified Solid/Liquid Interface: Monolayers, Multilayers, and Organic Transformations," Gewirth, A. A.; Niece, B. K. in Electrochemical Nanotechnology: In-situ Local Probe Techniques at Electrochemical Interfaces, Lorenz, W. J.; Plieth, W., Eds., Wiley-VCH: New York, 1998, pp. 113-124.
- "Structure of Monolayers of Silicotungstate Anions on Ag(111) and Au(111) Electrode Surfaces," Ge, M.; Niece, B. K.; Wall, C. G.; Klemperer, W. G.; Gewirth, A. A., Materials Research Society Symposia Proceedings 1997, 451, 99.
- "Potential-Step Chronocoulometric and Quartz Crystal Microbalance Investigations of Coadsorbed Cd and Sulfate on Au(111) Electrodes," Niece, B. K.; Gewirth, A. A., Langmuir 1997, 13, 6302-6309.
- "Electrochemical Applications of in Situ Scanning Probe Microscopy," Gewirth, A. A.; Niece, B. K., Chemical Reviews 1997, 97, 1129-1162.
- "Potential-Step Chronocoulometric Investigation of Coadsorbed Bi and Hydroxide on Au(111) Electrodes," Niece, B. K.; Gewirth, A. A., Langmuir 1996, 12, 4909-4913.
Adjunct Faculty in Career & Continuing Education, Natural Sciences
Reisert, Patricia S.
Professor Emerita of Biology
- "Anoxia-induced changes in purine nucleoside metabolism of in vitro aged human fibroblasts," Co-authored with J.G. Dobson and R.A. Fenton. Life Sciences (2002) vol. 70, pp. 1369-1382.
- "Improving Science Education for Future Teachers," Co-authored with Mary E. Kielbasa in Journal of College Science Teaching, February 1999, pp. 278-283.
- "Decreased Expression of Early Antigens in P3HR-1-EBV Superinfected Raji Cells Cultured in EBV-seropositive Human Sera" Co-authored with T. Sairenji et al. in Yonago Acta medica, 1996, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 99-107.
- "Recommendations of the Professional Development Subcommittee of the Alliance for Education"Co-authored with L. Clarke in Report of the Task Force on Science Education to the Worcester Public Schools , 1994.
- "Adsorption and Helical Coiling of Amphiipathic Peptides on Lipid Vesicles Leads to Negligible Protection from Cathepsin B or Cathepsin D" Co-authored with T. G. Goldschmidt et al. in Immunological Investigations , 1993, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 25-40.
- "Synthetic Peptides to Identify Antigenic Determinants on Epstein-Barr Virus gp350/220" Co-authored with G. Bertoni et al. in Intervirology , 1990, vol. 31, pp. 290-294.
- "Identification of p70 and p80 Associations with Class II MHC Molecules and Ii" Co-authored with C. H. Sorli et al. in American Journal of Hematology, 1990, vol. 35, pp. 157-166.
- "Testing for Cell Surface Forms of Class II MHC Antigens and Ii by Radioiodination, Biotinylation, and Membrane Immunofluorescence" Co-authored with W. L. Elliott et al. in American Journal of Hematology , 1989, vol. 30, pp. 4-13.
- "Structures of Class II MHC Molecules and Accessory Proteins During Trafficking in Subcellular Compartments" Co-authored with Q. V. Nguyen in Immunobiology of HLA: Immunogenetics and Histocompatibility, Vol. 2, edited by B. Dupont (New York: Springer-Verlag, 1988), pp. 360-361.
- "Roles of Accessory Molecules in Processing and Presentation of Foreign Antigens" Co-authored with S. Lu et al. in Immunobiology of HLA: Immunogenetics and Histocompatibility, Vol. 2, edited by B. Dupont (New York: Springer-Verlag, 1988), pp. 387-389.
- "Chitin Decomposition by Chytriomyces Hyalinus" in Zoosporic Fungi in Teaching and Research, edited by M. S. Fuller and A. Jaworski (Athens, Ga.: Southeastern Publishing Corp., 1987), pp. 290-294.
- "Hyperexpressed Hairy Leukemic Cell Ii Might Bind to the Antigen-presenting Site of Class II MHC Molecules" Co-authored with W. L. Elliott et al. in Leukemia Research, 1987, vol. 1, pp. 395-396.
- "Functional Association of Class II Antigens with Cell Surface Binding of Epstein-Barr Virus" Co-authored with R. C. Spiro et al. in Journal of Immunology, 1985, vol. 134, pp. 3776-3780.
- "Inhibition of Epstein-Barr Virus Release from P3HR-1 Burkitt's Lymphoma Cell Line by a Monoclonal Antibody to a 200,000 Dalton EBV Membrane Antigen" Co-authored with T. Sairenji et al. in Journal of Experimental Medicine , 1985, vol. 157, pp. 1097-1111.
- "The Ii Nature of p35 on Hairy Leukemic Cells" Co-authored with R. C. Spiro et al. in Seminars in Oncology, 1984, vol. 11, pp. 427-432.
- "Characterization of Epstein-Barr Virus Infection of Hairy Cell Leukemia Patients" Co-authored with T. Sairenji et al. in Seminars in Oncology , 1984, vol. 11, pp. 439-445.
- "Restrictions upon Epstein-Barr Virus Infection of the Leukaemic Cell are Demonstrated in Patients with Hairy Cell Leukaemic" Co-authored with T. Sairenji et al. in Hematological Oncology, 1983, vol. 1, pp. 251-262.
- "Analysis of Transformation with Epstein-Barr Virus and Phenotypic Characteristics of Lymphoblastoid Cell Lines Established from Patients with Hairy Cell Leukemia" Co-authored with T. Sairenji et al. in American Journal of Hematology, 1983, vol. 15, pp. 361-374.
- "Plant Cell Surface Structure and Recognition Phenomena with Reference to Symbioses" in International Review of Cytology, 1982, supplement 12, chapter 3, pp. 71-111.
- "In vitro Characterization of Response to Stimulus (Wounding) with Regard to Ageing in Human Skin Fibroblasts" Co-authored with A. L. Muggleton-Harris and R. L. Burghoff in Mechanisms of Ageing and Development , 1982, vol. 19, pp. 37-41.
- "Epstein-Barr Virus Strain-specific Differences in Transformed Cell Lines Demonstrated in Growth Characteristics, Induction of Viral Antigens and ADCC Susceptibility" Co-authored with T. Sairenji et al. in International Journal of Cancer, 1982, vol. 30, pp. 393-401.
- "Chitin Decomposition by Chytriomyces hyalinus" in Lower Fungi in the Laboratory, Palfrey Contributions in Botany, No. 1, edited by M. S. Fuller (Athens: University of Georgia Press, 1978)
- "Studies of the Chitinase System of Chytriomyces hyalinus Using C14-chitin Assay" in Mycologia, 1972, vol. 64, pp. 188-297.
- "Chitin Decomposition in the Fungi" Co-authored with M. S. Fuller in American Journal of Botany, 1961, vol. 48, p. 539.
- "Chitin Decomposition by Chytriomyces sp" Co-authored by M. S. Fuller in Mycologia, 1961, vol. 54, pp. 647-657.
Schandel, Kimberly A.
Associate Professor of Biochemistry
- "The C Terminus of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae alpha-Factor receptor Contributes to the Formation of Preactivation Complexes with Its Cognate G Protein," Molecular and Cellular Biology, July 2000.
- "Direct Evidence for Ligand-induced Internalization of the Yeast a-factor Pheromone Receptor" Co-authored with D. D. Jenness in Molecular and Cellular Biology, 1994, vol. 14, pp. 7245-7255.
- "Localization of TraC, a Protein Involved in Assembly of the F Conjugative Pilus" Co-authored with M. M. Muller and R. E. Webster in Journal of Bacteriology, 1992, vol. 174, pp. 3800-3806.
- "Nucleotide Sequence of the F Plasmid Gene, traC, and Identification of its Product" Co-authored with S. Maneewannakul et al. in Gene , 1990, vol. 96, pp. 137-140.
- "A traC Mutant that Retains Sensitivity to f1 Bacteriophage but Lacks F Pili" Co-authored with S. Maneewannakul et al. in Journal of Bacteriology , 1987, vol. 169, pp. 3151-3159.
Serquina, Anna Kristina
Laboratory Instructor for Biology
“Cellular MicroRNA and P Bodies Modulate Host-HIV-1 Interactions.” Molecular Cell 34.6 (2009): 696-709. Co-authored with Robin Nathans, Chia-ying Chu, Chih-Chung Lu, Hong Cao and Tariq M. Rana.
Associate Professor of Biology
- "Effects of Ice Storm Damage on Radial Growth of Quercus Spp.” Journal of the Torrey Botanical Society 140.3 (2014): 364-68. Print.
- “Consequences of narrow temperature tolerance for a pinyon pine sawfly, Neodiprion edulicolus.” Environmental Entomology 40.4 (Summer 2011): 777-781. Print.
- "Smiley's Moo." An Assumption Library: Essays Presented in Celebration of the 20th Anniversary of the Emmanuel d'Alzon Library. Worcester, Mass.: Assumption College Library, c2008. 124-125.
- Owen D. V. Sholes. 2008. Effects of Associational Resistance and Host Density on Woodland Insect Herbivores. Journal of Animal Ecology 77: 16-23.
- Owen D. V. Sholes and Diana L. Hawkins ('04). 2007. Composition and temporal change of the forest in 18th century Shrewsbury, Massachusetts. Journal of the Torrey Botanical Society 134 (1): 74-79.
- Owen D. V. Sholes, J. Buron, D. Lavigne, K. Grote, and R. Takis. 1998. Association of vines and trees in second-growth forest. Northeastern Naturalist 5: 359-362.
- Owen D. V. Sholes and R. I. Bertin. 1993. Weather, Pollination and Phenology of Geranium maculatum. American Midland Naturalist 129: 52-66.
- Owen D. V. Sholes and S. W. Beatty. 1988. Leaf Litter Effect on Plant Species Composition of Deciduous Forest Treefall Pits. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 18: 553-559.
- Owen D. V. Sholes and S. W. Beatty. 1987. Influence of Host Phenology and Background Vegetation on the Abundance of Tamalia coweni Galls (Homoptera:Aphididae) on Arctostaphylos insularis (Ericaceae). American Midland Naturalist 118: 198-204.
- Owen D. V. Sholes. 1987. Host Plants and Seasonal Abundance of Adult Capraita subvittata (Horn) (Coleoptera; Chrysomelidae; Alticinae). Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington (D. C.) 89: 818-820.
Professor of Biology
- "RKIP-1 KO Mice: Expression in the Brain and Olfaction Deficit," Brain Research Bulletin, vol. 71, 2007.
- "Signaling Crossroads: The Function of Raf Kinase Inhibitory Protein in Cancer, the Central Nervous System and Reproduction," Cellular Signaling, July 2007.
- “Raf Kinase Inhibitory Protein Knockout Mice: Expression in the Brain and Olfaction Deficit,” Brain Research Bulletin, 2006.
- "Spinal muscular atrophy disrupts the interaction of Zprl with the SMN protein," Nature Cell Biology, April 2001.
- "The Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor is Covalently Linked to Ubiquitin" Co-authored with Z. Galcheva-Gargova and R. Davis in Oncogene, 1995, vol. 11, pp. 2649-2655.
- "Mutational Removal of the Major Site of Serine Phosphorylation of the Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor Causes Potentiation of Signal Transduction: Role of Receptor Down-regulation" Co-authored with D. Campbell et al. in Molecular Endocrinology, 1992, vol. 6, pp. 1849-1857.
- "Protein Tyrosine Kinase Activity of Alternate Protein Products of the Drosophila Dsrc28C Locus" Co-authored with S. Wadsworth in FEBS Letters, 1992, vol. 311, pp. 1-6.
- "Signal Transduction by the Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor is Attenuated by a COOH-terminal Domain Phosphorylation Site" Co-authored with K. Stanley et al. in Journal of Biological Chemistry, 1992, vol. 267, pp. 16620-16626.
- "Increased Oncogenic Potential of ErbB is Associated with the Loss of a COOH Terminal Domain Serine Phosphorylation Site" Co-authored with C. Taglienti-Sian et al. in Journal of Biological Chemistry, 1992, vol. 267, pp. 7967-7970.
- "Rapid Screening of Cloned DNA Fragments for Specific Mutations" Co-authored with R. Davis in Nucleic Acid Research, 1992, vol. 20, p. 915.
- "Gene Encoding the 5.7-kDa Chromosome Protein of Chloroflexus aurantioacus" Co-authored with T. Redlinger et al. in Journal of Bacteriology, 1990, vol. 172, pp. 4497-4504.
- "Assembly of Chlorosomes During Photosynthetic Development in Chloroflexus aurantioacus" Co-authored with T. Redlinger et al. in Molecular Biology of Membrane Bound Complexes in Photosynthetic Bacteria (Plenum Press, 1990), pp. 275-
Visiting Assistant Professor
- "A Response to Wilson Et Al. A Critique of the Manuscript: 'Distribution and Concentrations of Petroleum Hydrocarbons Associated with the BP/Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill, Gulf of Mexico'" Marine Pollution Bulletin 79.1-2 (2014): 391-92. Print. With P.W. Sammarco, M. Kaltofen, J. Bouldin, W. Subra, and S.A. Porter.
- “Distribution and concentrations of petroleum hydrocarbons associated with the BP/Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill, Gulf of Mexico.” Marine Pollution Bulletin 73.1 (2013): 129–43. Print. With P. Sammarco, S. Kolian, W. Subra, S. Porter, J. Bouldin.
- “Measuring Environmental Change in Forest Ecosystems by Repeated Soil Sampling: A North American Perspective.” Journal of Environmental Quality 42.3 (2013): 623-39. Print. With G. Lawrence, I. Fernandez, D. Richter, D. Ross, S. Bailey, R. Ouimet, A. Johnson, H Lin, J Kaste, A. Lapenis, T. Sullivan.
Associate Professor of Biology
“Estrogen prevents sustained COLO-205 human colon cancer cell growth by inducing apoptosis, decreasing c-myb protein and decreasing transcription of the anti-apoptotic protein bcl-2.” Tumor Biology 31.1 (2010): 16-22. Co-authored with K. Doucet, V. Duke, A. Morra and N. Johnson.
- N M Ramocki, N.M., Wilkins, H.R., Magness, S.T., Simmons, J.G., Scull, B.P., Lee, G.H., McNaughton, K.K., and Lund, P.K. (2008) Insulin receptor substrate-1 deficiency promotes apoptosis in the putative intestinal crypt stem cell region, limits Apcmin/+ tumors, and regulates Sox9. Endocrinology 149(1): 261-267.
- Simmons, J., Ling, Y., Wilkins, H.R., Fuller, C., D'Ercole, A., Fagin, J., and Lund, P.K. (2007) Cell-specific effects of insulin receptor substrate-1 (IRS-1) deficiency on normal and IGF-I-mediated colon growth. Am. J. Physiol: GI and Liver Phys. 293(5): G995-1003.
- Rybarczyk, B.J., Baines, A.T., McVey, M., Thompson, J.T. and Wilkins, H.R. (2007) A case-based approach increases student learning outcomes and comprehension of cellular respiration concepts. Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education. 35: 181-186.
- Baines, A.T., McVey, M., Rybarczyk, B., Thompson, J.T., and Wilkins, H.R. (2004) Mystery of the toxic flea dip: an interactive approach to teaching aerobic cellular respiration. Cell Biology Education. 3: 62-68.
- Wilkins, H.R., Ohneda, K., Keku, T.O., D’Ercole, A.J., Fuller, C.R., Williams, K.L. and Lund, P.K. (2002) Reduction of spontaneous and irradiation-induced apoptosis in the small intestine of IGF-I transgenic mice. Am. J. Physiol: GI and Liver Phys. 283: G457-464.
- Higgs, D.M., Souza, M.J., Wilkins, H.R., Presson, J.C. and Popper, A.N. (2001) Age- and size-related changes in the inner ear and hearing ability of the adult zebrafish (Danio rerio). JARO 3: 174-184.
- Wilkins, H.R., Presson, J.C., Popper, A.N., Ryals, B.M. and Dooling, R.J. (2001) Hair cell death in a hearing-deficient canary. JARO 2: 79-86.
- Wilkins, H.R., Presson, J.C. and Popper, A.N. (1999) Proliferation of vertebrate inner ear supporting cells. J. Neurobiol. 39: 527-535.
Associate Professor of Philosophy
The Wonderful Myth Called Science. Antioch, Calif.: SOLAS Press, 2008.
- "James' Principles of Psychology." An Assumption Library: Essays Presented in Celebration of the 20th Anniversary of the Emmanuel d'Alzon Library. Worcester, Mass.: Assumption College Library, c2008. 56-58.
- Logical fictions: Tools for Learning the Facts. New York : iUniverse, 2007.
Associate Professor of Philosophy
- "Good-in-Itself." New Catholic Encyclopedia Supplement 2012-2013: Ethics and Philosophy. Ed. Robert L. Fastiggi. Vol. 2. Detroit: Gale, 2013. 633. Web.
- "Knowledge, Theories of." New Catholic Encyclopedia Supplement 2012-2013: Ethics and Philosophy. Ed. Robert L. Fastiggi. Vol. 2. Detroit: Gale, 2013. 849-861. Web. With Frank Ellis, F., Synan, E. , and Mulligan, R.
- Rev. of Christians as Political Animals: Taking the Measure of Modernity and Modern Democracy by Marc. D Guerra. Perspectives on Political Science 41.1 (January 2012): 49-51. Print.
- The Renewal of Civilization: Essays in Honor of Jacques Maritain. Washington, D.C.: American Maritain Association, 2010. Print. (Editor)
- "Aquinas and the Limits of Political Authority: Natural Lawyer or Virtue Politician?." The Human Person and a Culture of Freedom. Eds. Peter A. Pagan Aguiar and Terese Auer. Washington, D.C.: American Maritain Association, c2009.
- "Aquinas' Summa Theologiae." An Assumption Library: Essays Presented in Celebration of the 20th Anniversary of the Emmanuel d'Alzon Library. Worcester, Mass.: Assumption College Library, c2008. 20-22.
- "Back to Nature: Aquinas and Ethical Naturalism," Lyceum, vol. 8(2), Spring 2007.
- "Response to J. F. Pradeau: The Law According to Plato," Proceedings of the Boston Area Colloquium in Ancient Philosophy, v. XXI, 2005.
- "Having Our Cake and Eating It, Metaphysically Speaking; Analogy as the Key to the Unity of Metaphysic as a Science of Being qua Being: A Response to Oliva Blanchette," The Saint Anselm Journal, Spring 2005.
- “Liberty and Responsibility: John Paul II, Ethics and the Law,” IN Tollefsen, C., ed., John Paul II's Contribution to Catholic Bioethics, (Kluwer Press, 2004)
- “Maritain and the Idea of a Catholic University,” IN Trapani, John G., ed., Truth Matters: Essays in Honor of Jacques Maritain. (American Maritain Association, 2004)
Associate Professor of Philosophy
- "Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics." An Assumption Library: Essays Presented in Celebration of the 20th Anniversary of the Emmanuel d'Alzon Library. Worcester, Mass.: Assumption College Library, c2008. 17-19.
- "Where Do We Go From Here?: Some Thoughts on Purgatory" (three-part series) Le Provocateur, Oct. 28 - Nov. 11, 1993.
Assistant Professor of Philosophy
- "Epoché." New Catholic Encyclopedia Supplement 2012-2013: Ethics and Philosophy. Ed. Robert L. Fastiggi. Vol. 2. Detroit: Gale, 2013. 487-488. Web.
- "Social Constructionism." New Catholic Encyclopedia Supplement 2012-2013: Ethics and Philosophy. Ed. Robert L. Fastiggi. Vol. 4. Detroit: Gale, 2013. 1425-1427. Web.
- “Edmund Husserl: Transcending Ideology.”Teaching in an Age of Ideology, edited by John Von Heyking and Lee Trepanier. (Lanham, MD: Lexington Books, 2012. 3-25. Print.
- “The Cultural Community: An Husserlian Approach and Reproach.” Husserl Studies 28.1 (Spring 2012): 25-47. Print.
- “A Realer Institutional Reality: Deepening Searle's (De)Ontology of Civilization.” International Journal of Philosophical Studies 20.1 (Spring 2012): 43-67. Print.
- “Self-Responsibility, Tradition, and the Apparent Good.” Studia Phaenomenologica. XI (2011): 55-76. Print.
- “Andreas Kinneging, The Geography of Good and Evil: Philosophical Investigations.” Rev. of The Geography of Good and Evil: Philosophical Investigations, by A. A. M. Kinneging. Society 48.2 (March/April 2011): 186-188. Print.
- “Pessimism is Hope.” Rev. of The Uses of Pessimism and the Danger of False Hope, by Roger Scruton. The Intercollegiate Review: A Journal of Scholarship and Opinion 46. 1 (Spring 2011): 51-54. Print.
- "Aristotle (versus Kant) on Autonomy and Moral Maturity." Who Are We? Old, New, and Timeless Answers from Core Texts. Eds: Robert D. Anderson, Molly Brigid Flynn, J. Scott Lee. University Press of America, 2011. 109-114. Print.
“The Agent of Truth: Reflections on Robert Sokolowski's Phenomenology of the Human Person.” The New Yearbook for Phenomenology and Phenomenological Philosophy X (2010: 319-36. Print.
Rev. of Making the Social World: The Structure of Human Civilization, by John R. Searle. The Review of Metaphysics 63.4 (2010): 945-947. Print.
- "The Living Body as the Origin of Culture: What the Shift in Husserl's Notion of 'Expression' Tells us About Cultural Objects." Husserl Studies 25 (2009): 57-79.
Assistant Professor of Philosophy
- "The Grounding of Forgiveness: Martha Nussbaum on Compassion and Mercy." American Journal of Economics and Sociology 68.1 (January 2009): 231-252.
- "Nietzsche's Birth of Tragedy." An Assumption Library: Essays Presented in Celebration of the 20th Anniversary of the Emmanuel d'Alzon Library. Worcester, Mass.: Assumption College Library, c2008. 49-51.
- "The Grounding of Forgiveness: Martha Nussbaum on the Question of Compassion and Mercy," IN Proceedings of the International Society for Universal Dialogue, 7th World Congress, Hiroshima, Japan, June 2007.
Assistant Professor of Philosophy
- "Ritterlichkeit Bei Kierkegaard." Wissenschaft Und Weisheit 76.2 (2013): 253-75. Print.
- "Reconstructing Anselm's God: The Metaphysical Logic of Christianity." Aquinas 55.1/2 (2012): 45-65. Print.
- “Ontologisch oder kosmologisch? Anselms 'unum argumentum' und seine trinitaetstheologische Relevanz.” Theologie und Glaube 103. 1 (2013): 83-103. Print.
- “Der Wuerde wuerdig werden? Philosophie als Lebensform.” Renovatio. 67.3/4 (Nov. 2011): 29-39. Print.
- “Chapter 2 - D'Alzon Philosopher?” Teaching after D'Alzon. Essays on Education Today. New London: Twenty-Third Publications- Bayard, 2011. 28-44. Print.
- “Ritterlichkeit als Caritas und Bildungsideal.” Lebendiges Zeugnis 66.2 (spring 2011): 126-140. Print.
"Ancient Philosophy as a Model for Intercultural Ecumenism." Salesian Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences 2010.2 (Dec 2010): 9-39. Print.
“Aristippus and the Ethical Relevance of Megarian Thought." Salesian Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences 2010.2 (Dec 2010): 40-54. Print.
- “Geist und Welt - Bildung und Philosophie Zum 200. Geburtstag des Ordensgruenders Emmanuel D'Alzon.” Ordenskorrespondenz Zeitschrift fuer Fragen des Ordenslebens 51.4 (2010): 389-403. Print.
- "Fides und Ration bei Anselm (1033-1109) und Augustinus." Augustinus: Spuren und Spiegelungen seines Denkens. Ed. Norbert Fischer. Hamburg: Meiner Press, 2009. 37-69.
- "'Werde, was Du bist'. Sein-Sollen und Sollen-Sein des Menschen: Praktisch-interkulturelle Überlegungen zu Moral und Bildung." Sein und Sollen des Menschen. Eds. C. Böttigheimer, N. Fischer, and M. Gerwing. Münster: Aschendorff, 2008. 109-129.
- Antike und Gegenwart. Griechische Anmerkungen zu ethischen Fragen unserer Tage. Hildesheim; New York; Zürich : Olms, 2007 (“Philosophische Texte und Studien”, vol. 91), pp. 595.
- (Editor, translator) L. Messinese: Die Gottesfrage in der Philosophie der Neuzeit. Berlin : Duncker & Humblot, 2007 ("Wissenschaftliche Abhandlungen und Reden zur Philosophie, Politik und Geistesgeschichte", vol. 45), pp. 81.
- Staatsbürger und Uniform. Ethik in der Bundeswehr. In: Die Neue Ordnung 61 (2007), 358-373.
- Jugendalkoholismus – Rebellion oder falsche Bildung? "Amerikanische" Überlegungen zur Debatte um das Alkohol-Mindestalter. In: Katholische Bildung 108 (2007), 251-263.
- "'Megarisches' in Aristoteles' Poetik." In: C. Göbel; L. Messinese (edd.): Verità e Responsabilità. Rome 2006, 327-340.
- (Editor, with L. Messinese) Verità e Responsabilità. Scritti in onore di A. Molinaro. Rome : Studia Anselmiana (vol. 142), 2006, pp. 719.
- Heidegger und die Philosophie der Neuzeit. In: Heidegger-Studies 21 (2005), 181-189.
- Kants Gift. Wie die Kritik der reinen Vernunft auf den "Index librorum prohibitorum" kam. In: N. Fischer (ed.): Kant und der Katholizismus. Stationen einer wechselhaften Geschichte. Freiburg : Herder, 2005 ("Forschungen zur europäischen Geistesgeschichte"), 91-137.
- Das kantische Gift. In: K.W. Littger (ed.): Kant und der Katholizismus. (Katalog zur Ausstellung). Wiesbaden : Harrassowitz, 2005, 85-86 and 93-115.
- Anthropologie der Todesstrafe. Anthropologisch-ethische Erwägungen zu Todes-Strafe und Un-Menschlichkeit. In: Ethica 12 (2004), 7-53.
- Vom Neid. In: Antonianum 78 (2003), 75-88.
- Wahrheit und Methode. Platonische Dialektik und Evagrische Seelenführung. In: Teresianum 54 (2003), 231-260.
- Griechische Selbsterkenntnis. Platon, Parmenides, Stoa und Aristipp. Stuttgart : Kohlhammer, 2002 ("Ursprünge des Philosophierens", vol. 3), pp. 324.
- Gegen die ökologische Differenz – Philosophische Anfrage an das ökologische Denken. In: Die Neue Ordnung 56 (2002), 404-409.
- Megarisches Denken und seine ethische Relevanz. In: Classica et Mediaevalia 53 (2002), 123-140.
- Trauerarbeit bei Platon. Zum Menexenos. In: Aquinas 45 (2002), 221-255.
- Nietzsche e la storia della filosofia. Alcune considerazioni. In: Per la Filosofia 19 (2002), 47-61.
- Gewalt-Wenden. Zwei Zeitzeichen: die "Wende" (1989) und der 11. September. In: Hirschberg 55 (2002), 138-144.
- Wo ist der Journalist in Platons Höhle? In: Katholische Bildung 103 (2002), 255-263.
- Mysticism and Knowledge in Parmenides. In: Downside Review 120(2002), 157-174.
- Philosophie des Mönchseins. Am Beispiel des Ad Monachos des Evagrius Ponticus und seines Bezuges zum 'asketischen' Charakter der antiken Ethik. In: Wissenschaft und Weisheit 65 (2002), 3-23.
- Gnothi seauton - Studien zur griechischen Selbsterkenntnis. Rome (Excerptum ex Dissertatione) 2001, pp. 89.
- Gibt es Homosexualität? Zur katholischen Position in der Debatte um gleichgeschlechtliche Partnerschaften. In: Ethica 9 (2001), 391-404.
- Nietzsches Übermensch - Fluchtübung des ängstlichen Adlers? In: Antonianum 76 (2001), 495-519.
- Über das Absolut-Böse. In: Erbe und Auftrag 77 (2001), 470-477.
- Panoptismus und Mystik. In: Erbe und Auftrag 77 (2001), 170-173.
- Übermensch im Weinberg des Herrn. Betrachtungen zu Mt 20,1-16. In: Protokolle zur Bibel 10 (2001), 33-40.
- Der Blick auf das Ewige. Philosophische Grunderfahrung bei Schelling und Parmenides. In: Forum Philosophicum 6 (2001), 117-144.
- Über die Frömmigkeit, den Vater zu verlassen. Mt 19,29 und Platons Euthyphron. In: Erbe und Auftrag 76 (2000), 365-376.
- Selbsterkenntnis und Ethik. Zur Philosophie des Aristipp von Kyrene. In: Existentia 10 (2000), 185-212.
- Von geistlicher Vaterschaft und philosophischer Schülerschaft. Zum Vergleich zwischen Evagrius Ponticus und Marc Aurel. In: Erbe und Auftrag 75 (1999), 263-281.
Professor of Philosophy
- "Kierkegaard's Works of Love." An Assumption Library: Essays Presented in Celebration of the 20th Anniversary of the Emmanuel d'Alzon Library. Worcester, Mass.: Assumption College Library, c2008. 41-43.
- "Theresa of Lisieux: Spiritual Principles for Parents," Spiritual Life: A Journal of Contemporary Spirituality, spring 2008.
- "The Genius and the Saint: The Spiritual Teachings of Kierkegaard in Christian Discourses and Therese of Lisieux in Story of a Soul," IN Perkins, Robert, ed. International Kierkegaard Commentary, v. 17.
- "'What is Sought is Given': Kierkegaard's Confessional Discourse in Three Discourses on Imagined Occasions," IN Perkins, Robert, ed. International Kierkegaard Commentary.
- "Silence, Domesticity, and Joy: The Spiritual Life of Women in Kierkegaard's For Self-Examination," IN Perkins, Robert, ed., International Kierkegaard Commentary: For Self Examination and Judge for Yourself. (Mercer University Press, 2002).
- "Living the Possibility of a Religious Existence: Quidam of Kierkegaard's Stages on Life's Way," IN Perkins, Robert, ed. International Kierkegaard Commentary: Stages on Life's Way. (Mercer University Press, 2000).
- "Loving 'No One,' Loving Everyone: The Work of Love in Recollecting One Dead in Kierkegaard's Works of Love," in International Kierkegaard Commentary, Volume 16, Mercer University Press, 1999.
- "Spiritual Trial in the Thought of Kierkegaard" in Concluding Unscientific Postscript ( International Kierkegaard Commentary, edited by Robert Perkins) (Mercer University Press, 1996).
- "The Parables of Problem Three in Kierkegaard's Fear and Trembling" in Fear and Trembling and Repetition (Vol. 6 of International Kierkegaard Commentary, edited by Robert Perkins) (Mercer University Press, 1993), pp. 127-154.
- "Subjectivity and World in Works of Love" in Foundations of Kierkegaard's Vision of Community: Religion, Ethics and Politics in Kierkegaard, edited by George Connell and C. Stephen Evans (Humanities Press, 1992), pp. 96-108.
Associate Professor of Philosophy
- "Friendship and Teaching Philosophy in Nicomachean Ethics IX.1." Proceedings of the American Catholic Philosophical Association 87 (2013): 271-83. Print.
- "Aristotle on Mathematical and Eidetic Number." Hermathena 190 (2011): 29-51. Print.
- Rev. of Should We Live Forever? The Ethical Ambiguities of Aging, by Gilbert Meilaender. Society Jan. 2014: 100-02. Print.
- "Notes on 'The Virtue of Science and the Science of Virtue'." The Science of Modern Virtue: On Descartes, Darwin, and Locke. Ed. Peter Augustine Lawler and Marc D. Guerra. DeKalb, IL: Northern Illinois University Press, 2013. 46-56. Print.
- Rev. of Informed Consent, Proxy Consent, and Catholic Bioethics: For the Good of the Subject, by Grzegorz Mazur. National Catholic Bioethics Quarterly 13.2 (Summer 2013): 374-77. Print.
- "Quality of Life." New Catholic Encyclopedia Supplement 2012-2013: Ethics and Philosophy. Ed. Robert L. Fastiggi. Vol. 3. Detroit: Gale, 2013. 1293-94. Print.
- "Change: Origins of the Philosophical Problem." New Catholic Encyclopedia Supplement 2012-2013: Ethics and Philosophy. Ed. Robert L. Fastiggi. Vol. 1. Detroit: Gale, 2013. 241-244. Print.
- Rev. of The Eudemian Ethics on the Voluntary, Friendship, and Luck, edited by Fiona Leigh. Bryn Mawr Classical Review 2013.07.16 (July 2013): 1-5. Web.
- "Animal Souls." New Catholic Encyclopedia Supplement 2012-2013: Ethics and Philosophy. Ed. Robert L. Fastiggi. Vol. 1. Detroit: Gale, 2013. 73-74. Print.
- Rev. of Medical Ethics: Sources of Catholic Teachings, 4th ed. edited by Kevin D. O’Rourke, OP, and Philip J. Boyle. National Catholic Bioethics Quarterly 12.2 (Summer 2012): 366-369. Print.
- “Contemplative Friendship in Nicomachean Ethics.” Review of Metaphysics, 65.4 (June 2012): 765-794. Print.
- Rev. of To Kill Another: Homicide and Natural Law, by G.J. McAleer. Society 49:1 (January/February 2012): 109-11. Print.
- Rev. of Being, Nature and Life in Aristotle: Essays in Honor of Allan Gotthelf, by James G Lennox & Robert Bolton. Bryn Mawr Classical Review 6 September 2011. Online.
- “A Better Book on Biotech.” Society 48.1 (2011): 78-83. Print
- Rev. of Biotechnology: Our Future as Human Beings and Citizens. National Catholic Bioethics Quarterly 10.4 (2010): 17-20. Print.
- "Theory in Bioethics." Medical Ethics and Humanities. Eds. Frederick Adolf Paola, Robert Walker, and Lois LaCivita Nixon. Sudbury, Mass.: Jones and Bartlett, c2010. 3-38.
- “Pope Benedict XVI on Faith and Reason.” Nova et Vetera 7.3 (2009): 625-652. Print.
- "The Unborn Victims of Violence Act of 2004." Ethics & Medics 29:10 (2004): 1-3.
- "Managed Care and Undividing Loyalties." Journal of Contemporary Law and Health Policy 18:3 (Fall 2002): 703-9.
- "Vaccines, Abortion, and Moral Coherence." National Catholic Bioethics Quarterly 2:1 (2002): 51-67.
- "Parental Love and Prenatal Diagnosis." National Catholic Bioethics Quarterly 1:4 (fall 2001): 519-26.
- "Methotrexate, Character, and Ectopic Pregnancy." Linacre Quarterly 68:3 (August 2001): 224-40.
- "Catholic Identity in Health Care." Ethical Principle in Catholic Health Care. Ed. Edward Furton. Boston: National Catholic Bioethics Center, 1999. 9-12. Originally published: Ethics & Medics 21:9 (1996): 3-4.
- "Principles and Prudence." Ethics & Medics 23:8 (1998): 1-2.
- "Sex and Catholic Health Care." Ethics & Medics 22:8 (1997): 1-2.
- "The Moral Triangle." Ethics & Medics 22:5 (1997): 1-2.
- "Tommy and Jerry." Ethics & Medics 22:3 (1997): 3-4.
- "Physician-Assisted Suicide." Ethics & Medics 21:12 (1996): 3-4.
- "Restraints and Uncooperative Patients." Ethics & Medics 21:11 (1996): 3-4.
Assistant Professor of Philosophy
Assistant Professor of Political Science
- Co-editor: Gish, Dustin A.Shakespeare and the Body Politic. (Lanham, MD: Lexington Books, 2013).
- “The Use and Abuse of Political History.” Rev. of Thucydides: The Reinvention of History, by Donald Kagan, and The Landmark Xenophon's "Hellenika," Ed. Robert Strassler. Society 49.5 (September/October 2012): 469-476. Print.
- “Shakespeare, The Body Politic and Liberal Democracy.” Perspectives on Political Science 41.4 (October-December 2012): 181-189. Print. With D.A. Gish.
- “Shakespeare, The Body Politic and Liberal Democracy.” Perspectives on Political Science. Symposium: The Political Wisdom of William Shakespeare, (2012): 181-206. Print. With D.A. Gish.
- “Thucydides’s Philosophic Turn to Cause.” Interpretation: A Journal of Political Philosophy 37.2 (winter 2010): 123-155.
- "Thucydides' History of the Peloponnesian War." An Assumption Library: Essays Presented in Celebration of the 20th Anniversary of the Emmanuel d'Alzon Library. Worcester, Mass.: Assumption College Library, c2008. 11-13.
- "'We Should See Certain Things Yet, Let Us Hope and Believe:' Technology, Sex, and Politics in Mark Twain's Connecticut Yankee," co-authored. The Review of Politics, Fall 2007.
- "Thucydides and the Soul of Victory : Olympic Politics in the Peloponnesian War," IN Socrates: Reason or Unreason as the Foundation of European Identity (Newcastle, U.K.: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2007)
Assistant Professor of Political Science
- "David D. Corey and J. Daryl Charles, The Just War Tradition: An Introduction." Rev. of The Just War Tradition: An Introduction, by David D. Corey and J. Daryl Charles. Society 2014: 188-90. Print.
Professor of Political Science
- The Other Solzhenitsyn: Telling the Truth about a Misunderstood Writer and Thinker. South Bend, Indiana: St. Augustine's, 2014. Print.
- La Politique Et L'âme. Autour De Pierre Manent. Paris: CNRS Editions, 2014. Print. With Giulio De Ligio and Jean-Vincent Holeindre.
- "The Political Form of Freedom." Rev. of The Metamorphoses of the City, by Pierre Manent. The American Conservative Nov.-Dec. 2013: 55-57. Print.
- "Suicide Pact." Rev. of The Crisis of the European Union: A Response, by Jurgen Habermas. Claremont Review of Books Fall 2013: 63-65. Print.
- “Anguished Patriot.” Rev. of The Democratic Soul: A Wilson Carey McWilliams Reader and Redeeming Democracy in America by Wilson Carey McWilliams. Edited by Patrick J. Deneen and Susan J. McWillliams. The Claremont Review of Books XIII.1 (Winter 2012/2013): 81-85. Print.
- “Don't Despair of Democracy.” Rev. of After Tocqueville: The Promise and Failure of Democracy by Chilton Williamson, Jr. The American Conservative 12.3 (May/June 2013): 46-48. Print.
- “Two Critics of the Ideological 'Lie': Raymond Aron's Encounter with Solzhenitsyn.” Society. 50.1 (January/February 2013): 28-35. Print.
- Rev. of Modern and American Dignity by Peter Augustine Lawler. Journal of Markets and Morals 14.2 (Jan/Feb 2012): 577-579. Print.
- “Clarifying War.” Rev. of Moral Combat: Good and Evil in World War II by Michael Burleigh. First Things 218.(Dec. 2011): 60-62. Print.
- “Facing History.” Rev. of It was a Long Time Ago, and It Never Happened Anyway by David Satter. National Review 64.4. (March 5 2012): 45-46. Print.
- Introduction. The Art Of Conjecture. ByBertrand De Jouvenel. 2012. New Brunswick, NJ: Transaction Publishers, Spring 2012. ix-xiii. Print.
- “Communion and Consent: Pierre Manent on the Wellsprings of Western Liberty.” Perspectives on Political Science 41.1 (Spring 2012): 93-99. Print.
- “An 'Anguished' Love of Country: Solzhenitsyn's Paradoxical Middle Path." St. Austin Review 11.5 (September/October 2011): 4-8. Print.
- “Translucent Truth.” Rev. of Apricot Jam And Other Stories by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn. National Review (LXIII.17) 19 Sept. 2011: 47-49. Print.
“Aleksandr Soljenitin: Dincolo de Ideologie.” Preface. 'Prefata la edita in limba romana.' By Mahoney. Bucharest: Polirom, 2011. 9-12. Print.
“Grim Countenances.” Rev. of Gulag Voices: an Anthology, by Anne Applebaum. Spec. issue of The New Criterion 30.1 (Sept. 2011): 133-136. Print.
“'The Niebuhrian Mean'.” Rev. of Why Niebuhr Now? by John Patrick Diggins. National Review LXIII (1 Aug. 2011): 43-45. Print.
“Tocqueville in Private.” The New Criterion (April 2011): 64-68. Print.
“Un ‘Angustiato' Amor di Patria: La Paradossale via Media di Solzenicyn.” Rivista di Politica (April 2010): 131-144. Print.
- The Conservative Foundations of the Liberal Order: Defending Democracy Against Its Modern Enemies and Immoderate Friends. ISI Books, 2011. Print.
- “‘The Active Struggle Against Evil’: Reflections on a Theme in Solzhenitsyn.” Transactions of Russian American-Scholars in the U.S. xxxvi (2010): 21-33. Print.
- Rev. of Meeting the Demands of Reason: The Life and Thought of Andrei Sakharov, by Jay Bergman. Perspectives on Politics (official publication of American Political Science Association) 8.4 (December 2010): 186-187. Print.
- “Aron et Thucydide.” Commentaire 132 (hiver 2010-2011): 911-920. Print.
- "Soljénitsyne et les Origines de la Crise Moderne." Penser le Monde Moderne: le Bon Grain et l'Ivraie? Paris: Editions Cujas. 55-65.
- "Réponse à un Trotskyste Historien." Commentaire 125 (printemps 2009): 211-215.
- "The Moral Witness of Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn." First Things 196 (October 2009): 44-48.
- "Liberty under God and the Law": The Conservative Foundations of the Liberal Order [ISI Books, forthcoming fall 2009].
- "Raymond Aron's Model of Democratic Conservatism." Society 46.1 (Jan/Feb 2009): 12-20.
- "Introduction. Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn: Hero of a Dark Century." Détente, Democracy, and Dictatorship. Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn. New Brunswick : Transaction, c2009.
- "Introduction to the Transaction Edition." Images of America: A Political, Industrial and Social Portrait. R.L. Bruckberger. New Brunswick, N.J.: Transaction, 2009.
- "Bertrand de Jouvenel (1903-1987)." The Encyclopedia of Libertarianism. Los Angeles: Sage, c2008. 263-265.
- "The Abusive Exploitation of the Human Religious Sentiment: Michael Burleigh as Historian of 'Political Religion'." The Intercollegiate Review 43.1 (spring 2008): 42-52.
- "Hero of a Dark Century." National Review 60.16 (September 1, 2008): 47-50.
- "1968 and the Meaning of Democracy." The Intercollegiate Review 43.2 (fall 2008): 4-13.
- "No 'End of History': Prudence and the Limits of Global Democratization," Arete, v. 1(2).
- "Humanitarian Democracy and the Postpolitical Temptation," IN Is There Still a West?: the Future of the Atlantic Alliance (Columbia: University of Missouri Press, 2007).
- "Pierre Manent on the Fate of the Democracy in Europe," European Journal of Political Theory 6.3 (July 2007): 377-387.
- "The Self-Deification of Man: Solzhenitsyn on 'Anthropocentricity' and the Origins of the Modern Crisis," St. Austin Review, July/August 2007.
- Political Reason in the Age of Ideology: Essays in Honor of Raymond Aron (Transaction, 2007).
- "Conservatisme, Democratie et Politique Etrangere," Commentaire, Spring 2007, no. 117, pp 61-70.
- "Aron, le Totalitarisme, et la Fin de l'Histoire." Raymond Aron et la Democratie au XXIe siecle (Actes du Colloque International Paris, 11-12 Mars 2005). Editions de Fallois: 2007.
- "Conservatism, Democracy, and Foreign Policy," The Intercollegiate Review, Fall 2006.
- “Introduction: Raymond Aron and The Persistence of the Political,” Perspectives on Political Science, Spring 2006, v35, n2.
- Co-editor: The Solzhenitsyn Reader: New and Essential Writings 1947-2005 (Wilmington, DE: ISI Books, 2006).
- "Empire-Slayer: Solzhenitsyn's The Gulag Archipelago," National Review (December 19, 2005.
- "Constant's Middle Path," The New Criterion, June 2004.
- "Liberté, Egalité, et Noblesse, Aurel Kolnai (1900-1973)," Liberté Politique, Spring 2004.
- Bertrand de Jouvenel: The Conservative Liberal and the Illusions of Modernity. (ISI Press, 2005).
- "Humanitarian Democracy and the Post-Political Temptation," Orbis, Fall 2004, pp. 609-624.
- "Traducing Solzhenitsyn," First Things, August/September 2004, pp. 14-17.
- "Solzhenitsyn, Russia, and the Jews Revisited," Society, July/August 2004, pp. 72-82. A French version appeared in Commentaire, 105, Printemps 2004, pp. 243-254.
- "After Communism: The Continuing Relevance of Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn," Society, November/December 2003, pp. 67-71.
- "Beyond the 'Prison of Corollaries': Liberty and the Common Good in the Thought of Bertrand de Jouvenel,"Political Science Reviewer, 32, 2003, pp. 93-117.
- "Aron, Marx and Marxism: An Interpretation," European Journal of Political Theory, March 2003.
- Co-authored introduction to republication of Peace and War (Transaction 2003).
- "Solzhenitsyn on Russia's 'Jewish Question'," Society, November/December 2002, pp. 104-109.
- "'In the Truth of our Political Nature': Pierre Manent's Defence of Political Reason in Cour familier de philosophie politique,"Perspectives on Political Science, Summer 2002, pp. 148-156.
- "Taking Greatness Seriously," On Principle, August 2002.
- Editor of symposium, "No 'End of History:' Pierre Manent's Philosophical Defense of Politics," Perspectives on Political Science, Summer 2002.
- "Whittaker Chambers: Witness to the Crisis of the Modern Soul," The Intercollegiate Review, Spring 2002.
- "Liberty, Equality, Nobility: Kolnai, Tocqueville, and the Moral Foundations of Democracy," Perspectives on Political Science, Fall 2001.
- Foreword to republication of The Opium of the Intellectuals (Transaction 2001).
- "Uno strana tipo de liberale," Ideazione, 2001.
- "Raymond Aron and the Morality of Prudence." Modern Age (summer 2001): 243-252.
- "The Ascent from Modernity: Solzhenitsyn on 'Repentence and Self-Limitation in the Life on Nations'." Faith, Reason, and Political Life Today. Eds. Peter Augustine Lawler and Dale McConkey. Lexington Books, 2001.
- "The Many Faces of Mitterrand," The National Interest, Fall 2000.
- "Tocqueville's Democracy," The Weekly Standard, October 23, 2000.
- "True and False Liberalism: Stolypin and his Enemies in Aleksander Solzhenitsyn's August 1914," IN Edmondson, Henry T., III, The Moral of the Story: Literature and Public Ethics. (Lexington Books).
- "Renewing the Political Perspective: Reflections on James Ceaser, Political Science and Liberal Democracy," Perspectives on Political Science , Summer 2000.
- Co-editor: Shtromas, Aleksandras. Totalitarianism and the Prospects for World Order. (Lexington Books, 2003).
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn: The Ascent from Ideology (Roman & Littlefield, December 2000)
Translated into French by Sebastien Viguier: Alexandre Soljenitsyne: En Fin avec l'Ideologie. Librairie Artheme Fayard / Commentaire, 2008.
- Editor: Kolnai, Aurel. Privilege and Liberty and Other Essays in Political Philosophy.(Lexington Books, 1999).
- Modern Liberty and its Discontents: Selected Writings of Pierre Manent , Co-edited with Paul Seaton (Rowman & Littlefield, 1998).
- DeGaulle: Statesmanship, Grandeur and Modern Democracy (Praeger, 1996).
- In Defense of Political Reason: Essays by Raymond Aron, Daniel J. Mahoney, ed. (Rowman & Littlefield, 1994).
- The Liberal Political Science of Raymond Aron: A Critical Introduction (Rowman & Littlefield, 1991) published in French translation as Le Liberalisme de Raymond Aron (Edition de Fallois, 1998).
- "The Moral Foundations of Liberal Democracy," IN Boxx, T. William and Gary Quinlivan, eds. Public Morality, Civic Virtue, and the Problem of Modern Liberalism (Eerdmans Publishing Co., 2000)
- "Foreword" to Bertrand de Jouvenel, The Pure Theory of Politics (Liberty Fund, 2000).
- "Moral Principle and Realistic Judgment" in James W. Muller, ed., Churchill's "Iron Curtain" SpeechFifty Years Later (The University of Missouri Press, 1999).
- "The Conservative Critique of Social Engineering" in The American Enterprise, (Sept./Oct. 1998) pp.43-44.
- "The Experience of Totalitarianism and the Recovery of Nature: Reflections on Philosophy and Community in the Thought of Solzhenitsyn, Havel and Strauss," in Peter Lawler, ed., Community and Political Thought Today (Praeger, 1998).
- Co-editor with Peter Lawler of Fall 1998 issue of Perspectives on Political Science, "Pragmatism and its Critics"
- "The One True Progress: Solzhenitsyn's Alternative to Modern Liberalism," Perspectives on Political Science (1998) pp.220-227.
- Co-authored introduction to republication of Main Currents in Sociological Thought (vol. 1): Montesquieu, Comte, Marx, de Tocqueville, and the Sociologists and the Revolution of 1848 (Transaction 1998).
- Co-authored introduction to republication of Main Currents in Sociological Thought (vol. 2): Durkheim, Pareto and Weber (Transaction 1998).
- "Foreword" to Bertrand de Jouvenel, Sovereignty: an Inquiry into the Political Good . Co-authored with David M. DesRosiers, (Liberty Fund, 1998).
- "E'un antidoto alla deriva nichilista". Co-authored with Brian Anderson in Liberal, Oct. 1997.
- Introduction to Thinking Politically: a Liberal in the Age of Ideology , by Raymond Aron (Transaction, 1997). Introduction co-authored with Brian C. Anderson.
- "De Gaulle and the Death of Europe" in The National Interest, Summer 1997.
- Co-editor with Peter Lawler of Spring 1997 issue of Perspectives on Political Science, "St. Thomas and Political Science"
- "The Recovery of the Common World: an Introduction to the Moral and Political Reflection of Aurel Kolnai" in Perspectives on Political Science , (1997).
- "L'Experience du Totalitarisme et La Redecouverte de La Nature" in Revue des Deux Mondes, Jan. 1997.
- Introduction to Ernest Fortin: Collected Essays Vol. II: Classical Christianity and the Political Order: Reflections on the Theologico-Political Problem, edited by Brian Benestad (Rowman & Littlefield, 1996).
- "Response to Galston," in D.L. Schaefer and R. Schaefer, eds., The Future of Cities (University Press of America, 1996).
- Co-authored introduction to republication of In Defense of Decadent Europe (Transaction 1996).
- "Raymond Aron" and "Charles de Gaulle" in Encyclopedia of Democracy , Seymour Martin Lipset, ed. (Congressional Quarterly Books, 1995).
- "Modern Man and Man Tout Court: The Flight from Nature and the Modern Difference," Interpretation (1995) pp. 417-438.
- "Pierre Manent and the New French Thought," Crisis (1995) pp. 38-39.
- "The Future of American Foreign Policy" in Peter Lawler and Robert Schaefer, eds. The American Experiment (Rowman & Littlefield, 1994).
- "A 'Man of Character': The Statesmanship of Charles de Gaulle. A Review Essay," Polity
(1994) pp. 157-172.
- "Toqueville and Socialism" in Peter Lawler and Joseph Alulis, eds., Tocqueville's Defencse of Human Liberty (Garland, 1993).
- Co-editor with Peter Lawler of Fall 1992 issue of Perspectives on Political Science, "The End of Socialism?"
- "Modern Liberty and the Moral Contents of Life: An Introduction to the Political Reflection of Pierre Manent," Perspectives on Political Science (1992) pp. 193-200.
- "The Politic and Liberal Rationalism of Raymond Aron: A Review Essay," Polity (1992), pp. 693-708.
- "Chamberlain, Churchill and Appeasement." Finest Hour (first quarter 1991): 11-14. Co-authored with Maurice Cowling.
- "Notes on Political Philosophy and International Relations," Teaching Political Science, (1987) v. 15, pp. 4-9.
-Alexandre Soljenitsyne: En finir avec l'Ideologie (2008).
-Pierre Manent. "Raymond Aron and History." Perspectives on Political Science (spring 2006): 83-85.
-Marcel Gauchet, Pierre Manent, and Alain Finkielkraut. "The Perils of Identity Politics." Journal of Democracy (July 2004): 152-166.
-Pierre Manent. "Current Problems of European Democracy." Modern Age (winter 2003): 7-16.
-Pierre Manent. "The Wars of the Twentieth Century." Perspectives on Political Science (summer 2002): 139-147.
-Pierre Manent, " Democratic Man, Aristocratic Man and Man Simply: Some Remarks on an Equivocation in Tocqueville's Thought," Perspectives on Political Science (1998), pp. 79-84.
-Pierre Manent, "Democracy without Nations?"Journal of Democracy (1997), pp. 92-102.
-Philippe Beneton, "True and False Tolerance," Crisis (April 1996), pp. 34-37.
-Pierre Manent, "Modern Individualism," Crisis (October 1995), pp. 35-38.
-Alain Besancon, "The Church Embraces Democracy," Crisis (September 1995), pp. 32-36.
-Pierre Manent, "Christianity and Democracy," Crisis (January 1995), pp. 40-44 and Crisis (February 1995), pp. 42-48.
-Raymond Aron, "The Essence of Totalitarianism According to Hannah Arendt," Partisan Review (1993), pp. 366-376.
Associate Professor of Political Science
- "Harry Jaffa’s Egalitarian Natural Law." Anamnesis: A Journal for the Study of Tradition, Place, and ‘Things Divine’ 2.2 (2013): 100-16. Print.
- "Incommunicative Action: The Esoteric Response to Deliberative Democracy." Critical Review 22.2-3 (2010): 293-309. Rpt. in Democratic Deliberation in the Modern World. Ed. Paul Gunn. London: Taylor & Francis, 2014. Print.
- Rev. of College: What It Was, Is, and Should Be by Andrew Delbanco. Society 50.1 (January/February 2013): 89-91. Print.
- Rev. of The Platonian Leviathan by Leon Harold Craig. The Review of Metaphysics 65.2 (Dec. 2011): 414-416. Print.
- “Reading for a Conversion: On the University in Loss and Gain.” Loss and Gain: The Story of a Convert.By John Henry Newman. San Francisco: Ignatius Press, 2012. 379-391. Print.
- Rev. of In Search of Civilization: Remaking a Tarnished Idea, by John Armstrong. Society 49.4: 2012. 383-385. Print.
- “A New Translation and an Old Fight.” First Things: On the Square (Oct. 6, 2011): 1. Web http://www.firstthings.com/onthesquare/2011/10/a-new-translation-and-an-old-fight.
- “Our Egalitarian Elitism.” First Things: On the Square (Feb.6 2011): 1. Web http://www.firstthings.com/onthesquare/2011/02/our-egalitarian-elitism.
- Rev. of Taming the Leviathan: The Reception of the Political and Religious Ideas of Thomas Hobbes in England 1640-1700. Seventeenth-Century News 68.3&4 (2010): 215-218. Print.
- “In Defense of Academic Publishing.” John William Pope Center for Higher Education Policy (May 24, 2009). Web http://www.popecenter.org/commentaries/article.html?id=2177.
- “Hobbes on Magnanimity and Statesmanship.” Magnanimity and Statesmanship. Ed. Carson Holloway. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books, c2008.
- “The Overreach of Political Education and Liberalism’s Philosopher-Democrat.” Polity 37.3 (2005): 389-408.
- “The Audiences of Behemoth and the Politics of Conversation.” Filozofski vestnik/Acta philosophica 24.2 (2003): 291-307.
- Behemoth Teaches Leviathan: Thomas Hobbes on Political Education. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books, 2002.
- “The Audience of Leviathan and the Audience of Hobbes’s Political Philosophy.” History of Political Thought 22 (2001): 448-471.
- “The Decline of Sovereignty in the Liberal Tradition: The Case of John Rawls.”Souveränitätskonzeptionen. Martin Peters und Peter Schröder Hrsg. Berlin: Dunker & Humblot, 2000. 156-185.
- “Hobbes’s Contempt for Opinions: Manipulation and the Challenge for Mass Democracies.” Critical Review 13 (1999): 55-71.
- “Quentin Skinner’s Reason and Rhetoric in the Philosophy of Hobbes.” History of European Ideas 23 (1997): 35-43.
- “The Foolish Hobbes: A Return to the Warrender—Plamenatz Debate.” The Journal of History and Politics / Revue d’histoire et de politique 12 (1995): 67-88.
“The Rhetoric of Darkness: Hobbes and Anti-Catholic Discourse.” The Allen Review 13 (1995): 13-15. Print.
Assistant Professor of Political Science
- "James Madison and the Legitimacy of Majority Factions." American Political Thought 2.2 (2013): 198-216. Print.
- Madison's Metronome: The Constitution, Majority Rule and the Tempo of American Politics. Lawrence, Kansas: University Press of Kansas, 2012. Print.
Assistant Professor of Psychology
- "Emotion Reactivity and Regulation Are Associated With Psychological Functioning Following the 2011 Earthquake, Tsunami, and Nuclear Crisis in Japan." Emotion 14.2 (2014): 235-40. Print. With Erin J. Fitzgerald and Heather L. Urry.
- “Mood-Induced Shifts in Attentional Bias to Emotional Information Predict Ill- and Well-Being.” Emotion 11.2 (April 2011): 241-248. With Heather L. Urry and Lisa M. Shin. Print.
Professor of Psychology
- "The Development of Comorbid Conduct Problems in Children with ADHD: An Example of an Integrative Developmental Psychopathology Perspective." Journal of Attention Disorders 18 (2014): 1-16. Web. With Jeffrey S. Danforth and Daniel F. Connor. (Epub ahead of print)
- “A collaborative care model to improve access to pediatric mental health services.” Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research 40.4 (2013): 264-73. Print. With Aupont, O., D. F. Connor, C. Stille, M. Tisminetzky, and T. J. McLaughlin.
- “Posttraumatic stress disorder and heart disease.” Psychiatry and Heart Disease: The Mind, Brain and Heart. Eds. M. Riba, L. Wulsin, & M. Rubenfire. Wiley-Blackwell, 2012. 153-164. Print. With J. A. Paraskos.
- “Characteristics of children with juvenile bipolar disorder or disruptive behavior disorders and negative mood: Can they be distinguished.” Annals of Clinical Psychiatry 24.3 (August 2012): 2-11. Print. With Daniel F. Connor.
- “Residential treatment targeting self-injury and suicidal behavior in adolescents.” Treating self-injury. By Barent W. Walsh. New York: Guilford Press, 2012. 253-267. Print. With Ariana Perry.
- “Panic Disorder.” Encyclopedia of Adolescence. Ed. Roger J.R. Levesque. New York: Springer, 2012. 1957-1961. Print. With Peter F. Toscano, Daniel F. Connor.
- “The CBCL bipolar profile and attention,mood,and behavior dysregulation.” Journal of Child and Family Studies 20 (2011): 545-553. With Peter F. Toscano, Daniel F. Connor. Print.
- Heart and Mind: The Practice of Cardiac Psychology. American Psychological Association, 2011. With John Paraskos. Print.
“Aggression, ADHD symptoms, and Dysphoria in Children and Adolescents Diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder and ADHD.” Journal of Affective Disorders 131 (2011): 312-319. With Peter F. Toscano, Jr., and Daniel F. Connor. Print.
- “Situations Associated with Admission to an Acute Care Inpatient Psychiatric Unit.” Psychological Services (December 2010). With Peter W. Moran and Kristen E. Hannigan.
- "Residential Treatment of Non-Suicidal Self-Injury." Understanding Nonsuicidal Self-Injury: Origins, Assessment, and Treatment. Ed. Matthew Nock. Washington, D.C.: American Psychological Association, 2009.
- "Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder and Comorbid Oppositional Defiant Disorder or Conduct Disorder." Current Attention Disorders Report 1.1 (March 2009): 5-12.
- "Sex and Aggression." Journal of Child and Family Studies. June 26, 2008. Co-authored with Prof. Peter Toscano.
- "ADHD with Comorbid Oppositional Defiant Disorder or Conduct Disorder," The Journal of Attention Disorders, fall 2007.
- "Conduct Disorder Subtype and Comorbidity." Annals of Clinical Psychiatry 19.3 (2007): 161-168.
- "Separation Anxiety and Panic Disorder in Clinically Referred Youth," Journal of Anxiety Disorders 22 (fall 2007): 602-611. Co-authored with Prof. Peter Toscano.
- "Panic Disorder in Clinically Referred Children and Adolescents," Child Psychiatry and Human Development, December 21, 2006. Co-authored with Prof. Peter Toscano and Adam Volungis.
- "Relationship of Quality of Life and Perceived control with Posttraumatic Stress Disorder symptoms 3 to 6 Months after Myocardial Infarction," Journal of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation, 25: 166-172.
- "Post-traumatic Stress Disorder in Patients with Coronary Artery Disease: Screening and Management Implications," Canadian Journal of Cardiology, 21.8: June 2005.
- "Characteristics of Children and Adolescents Admitted to a Residential Treatment Center,"co-authored with Connor, Daniel F., Peter Toscano, Adam M. Volungis, and Ronald J. Steingard, Journal of Child and Family Studies, 13, (December 2004), 497-510.
- "Aggressive Behavior in Abused Children," co-authored with Connor, Daniel F., Adam M. Volungis, Ronald J. Steingard, and Richard H. Melloni, Jr. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 2003, v. 1008: 79-90.
- "Evaluating Mental Health Outcomes in an Inpatient Setting: Convergent and Divergent Validity of the OQ-45 and BASIS-32," The Journal of Behavioral Health Services & Research, November 2002
- "Rehospitalization of Psychiatric Patients in a Managed Care Environment," Mental Health Services Research 2.
- "Posttraumatic Stress Disorder-like Symptoms 1 Week to 3 Months after Myocardial Infarction" International Journal of Rehabilitation and Health, forthcoming.
- "Self-reported Depression in Patients with Coronary Heart Disease" Co-authored with L. Pbert and D. DeCosimo Journal of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation (in press).
- "Relationship of Goal Setting, Self-efficacy, and Self-evaluation in Dysphoric and Socially Anxious Women" Co-authored with J. Aron Cognitive Therapy and Research, 1995, vol. 19, pp. 725-741.
- "Symptoms of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Following Myocardial Infarction or Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery" Co-authored with L. Pbert and D. DeCosimo General Hospital Psychiatry , 1994, vol. 16, pp. 193-199.
- "An Evaluation of the Perceived Stress Scale in Two Clinical Populations" Co-authored with L. Pbert and D. DeCosimo Journal of Psychopathology and Behavioral Assessment, 1992, vol. 14, pp. 363-375.
- "A Fine-grained Analysis of the Role of Self-efficacy in Self-initiated Attempts to Quit Smoking"Co-authored with M. E. Garcia and J. M. Schmitz Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology , 1990, vol. 58, pp. 317-322.
- "Psychosocial and Behavioral Factors During Recovery from Myocardial Infarction" Co-authored with I. S. Ockene and J. K. Ockene in Modern Coronary Care, edited by G. S. Francis and J. Alpert (Boston: Little, Brown, 1990).
- "Behavior Therapy on Family Systems Therapy? A Case Study in the Treatment of Adolescent Obesity" Co-authored with R. K. Morgan The Behavior Therapist, 1989, vol. 12, pp. 122, 138.
- "Depression in Children and Adolescents: a Comparative Analysis of the Utility of Two Assessment Measures" Co-authored with R. D. Felner et al. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology , 1988, vol. 56, pp. 769-772.
- "Type III error in Research on Interpersonal Models of depression" Co-authored with W. F. Chaplin Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 1985, vol. 94, pp. 227-230.
- "Gate Control Theory and Behavioral Interventions for Chronic Pain: Beyond the Operant Approach" Co-authored with J. C. Parker and R. L. Karol Psychological Documents, 1984, vol. 14, p. 11.
- "Problem-solving Deficits in Depressed Children, Adolescents, and Adults" Co-authored with L. Mullins et al. Cognitive Therapy and Research, 1984, vol. 8, pp. 489-500.
- "College Women Coping with Depression" Co-authored with C. S. Richards Behaviour Research and Therapy, 1983, vol. 21, pp. 221-224.
- "Psychological Factors Influencing Self-reported Pain" Co-authored with
J. C. Parker et al. Journal of Clinical Psychology , 1983, vol. 39, pp. 22-25.
- "Pain Unit Director: Role Issues for Health Psychologists" Co-authored with J. C. Parker and R. L. Karol Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 1983, vol. 14, pp. 232-239.
- "Assessing Disulfiram Compliance: Validational Study of an Abbreviated Breath Test Procedure" Co-authored with R. K. Rychtarik et al. Addictive Behaviors, 1983, vol. 8, pp. 361-368.
- "Psychological Research on Depression: A Methodological Review" Clinical Psychology Review, 1981, vol. 1, pp. 119-137.
- "A Therapist Manual for the Cognitive-behavioral Treatment of Chronic Pain" Co-authored with R. L. Karol et al. JSAS Catalog of Selective Documents in Psychology, 1981, vol. 11, pp. 15-16.
- "Self-initiated Attempts to Cope with Depression" Co-authored with C. S. Richards Cognitive Research and Therapy, 1981, vol. 5, pp. 367-371.
Professor Emerita of Psychology
- “The Persistance and Destructiveness of Mother-blame in Psychological Theory.” Moms Gone Mad: Motherhood, Madness, Oppression and Resistance. Ed. Gina Wong. Bradford, ON, Canada: Demeter Press, 2012: 48-63.
- “Transforming Trauma: Understanding and Addressing the Unique Challenges of Migrating Mothers.” Journal of the Motherhood Initiative for Research and Community Involvement 2.2 (Fall/Winter 2011). Print.
“Eating Disorders.” The Multimedia Encyclopedia of Women in Today's World. Eds. Mary Zeiss Stange, Carol Oyster and Jane Sloan. Sage Publications, 2011. Print.
- “Transferring Loss into Action: Mothers from the Plaza De Mayo to Juarez, Mexico.” Journal of the Motherhood Initiative for Research and Community Involvement 1.1 (2010): 52-63. Print.
- "Caplan, Paula J.” Encyclopedia of Motherhood. Ed. Andrea O'Reilly. Thousand Oaks, Calif.: Sage, c2010. 165-166.
"Ruddick, Sara.” Encyclopedia of Motherhood. Ed. Andrea O'Reilly. Thousand Oaks, Calif.: Sage, c2010. 1088-1090.
- "Maternal Thinking Expanded: A Psychologist's View." Maternal Thinking: Philosophy, Politics, Practice. Ed. Andrea O'Reilly. Toronto: Demeter Press, c2009. 204-216.
- "Green's I Never Promised You a Rose Garden." An Assumption Library: Essays Presented in Celebration of the 20th Anniversary of the Emmanuel d'Alzon Library. Worcester, Mass.: Assumption College Library, c2008. 105-107.
“Such a Time: Globalization through the Prism of Gender.” Connections 16.1 (2008):12-13. (National Association of Women in Catholic Higher Education). With Deborah Kisatsky.
“Creating a Global Consciousness by Embracing a World of Women: A Pedagogical Strategy Dedicated to Regaining the Momentum for Women's Rights.” Forum on Public Policy Online 2007.3 (summer 2007). Web.
- "A Contemporary Psychologist Looks at Atwood's Construction of Personality in Alias Grace," IN Moss, John and Kozakewich, Tobi, eds., Margaret Atwood: The Open Eye (University of Ottawa Press, 2006).
- "Raising Awareness: Engendering Hope." Connections 14.1 (fall 2006).
Associate Professor of Psychology
- “Is Social Competence a Multi-Dimensional Construct' Motor and Cognitive Components in Autism?” Studies in Perception & Action XII. Eds. Tehran J. Davis, Pedro Passos, Matt Dicks, and Julie A. Weast-Knapp. (New York: Psychology Press, Taylor & Francis Group, 2013) 1-4. Print. With Romero, Veronica, Joseph Amaral, Michael Richardson, and Richard Schmidt
- “Evaluating Perception and Performance in a Hammering Task.” Studies in Perception & Action XII. Eds. Tehran J. Davis, Pedro Passos, Matt Dicks, and Julie A. Weast-Knapp. (New York: Psychology Press, Taylor & Francis Group, 2013) 5-58. Print. With Aguilar, Juliana, Andrea Garry, and Raoul Bongers.
- “The influence of instructional variables and task constraints on handwriting performance.” Journal of Educational Research 106.3 (Spring 2013): 216-234. Print. With Vander Hart, N., and Cortesa, C
- “Dynamical methods for evaluating the time-dependent unfolding of social coordination in children with autism.” Frontiers in Integrative Neuroscience, 7 (April 2013): 1-13. With R. Diorio, M.J. Richardson, R.C. Schmidt. Web: doi: 10.3389/fnint.2013.00021.
- “Measuring the dynamics of interactional synchrony.” Journal of Nonverbal Behavior 36.4 (2012): 263-279. Print.
- "Alterations In Movement Dynamics In A Tool-Use Task: The Role Of Action-Relevant Inertial Tool Properties." Zeitschrift Für Psychologie/Journal Of Psychology 220.1 (2012): 23-28. Print. With Jeffrey B. Wagman, and Richard C. Schmidt.
- “Understanding interpersonal motor coordination: Sharing representations or sharing dynamics--Exploring the role of interpersonal motor coordination in the breakdown of shared representations in autism spectrum disorder (ASD).” Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology: NASPSPA Conference 2012, Honolulu, HI. 34.Supplement. S21-22. Online.
- “The role of haptic variables in altering movement dynamics in a preschool hammering task.” Using Tools: From Movements to Environmental Effects. Spec. issue of Journal of Psychology (Zeitschrift für Psychologie) 220.1 (2012): 23-28. With Wagman, J. B., & Schmidt, R. C. Print.
- “Understanding social motor coordination.” Human Movement Science 30.5 (October 2011): 834-845. Print. With R. C. Schmidt, R. Caron, & J. Mergeche.
- “In-depth Analysis of Handwriting Curriculum and Instruction in Four Kindergarten Classrooms.” Reading and Writing 23.6 (June 2010): 673-699. With Nanho Vander Hart and Cathryn Cortesa.
- “Dynamic (Kinesthetic) Touch Perception in Preschool Children.” Ecological Psychology 22.2 (2010): 89-118. With Nicole Flyn.
- "Inertia tensor and weight-percept models of length perception by static holding," Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception and Performance , 2000 Jun; Vol 26(3): 1133-1147. Co-authored with Matthew Stroop, M.T. Turvey, and Claudia Carello.
- "Coordination Dynamics of Abdomen and Chest During Infant Breathing: A Comparison of Full-term and Preterm Infants at 38 Weeks Postconceptional Age," Ecological Psychology, 1999; Vol 11(3): 209-232. Co-authored with Eugene Goldfield and R.C. Schmidt.
- "Inertial eigenvalues, rod density, and rod diameter in length perception by dynamic touch" in Perception & Psychophysics, 1998 Jan; Vol 60(1): 89-100. Co-authored with Claudia Carello, Ittai Flascher, and M.T. Turvey.
- "Modeling Coordination Dynamics in Development" in Applications of Nonlinear Dynamics to Developmental Process Modeling, edited by K. M. Newell and P. C. M. Molenaar (LEA, 1998).
- "Inertial Tensor Manipulations of Length Perception by Static Holding" Co-authored in Studies in Perception and Action IV: Ninth International Conference on Perception and Action (LEA, 1997).
- "Comment on Rochat" in Evolving Explanations of Development: Ecological Approaches to Organism-environment Systems , edited by Dent-Read and Zukow-Goldring (Washington, D.C.: 1997), pp. 123-129.
- "Dynamical Patterns in the Development of Clapping" Co-authored with R. C. Schmidt and Jeffrey J. Lockman in Child Development.
Assistant Professor of Psychology
- "Imaginary Companions and Young Children's Coping and Competence." Social Development (2014): n. pag. 20 Apr. 2014. Web. With Tracy Gleason. [Epub ahead of print]
- “Sensory Sensitivity and Parental Bonding Predict Infant Attachment.” Proceedings of the XV European Conference on Developmental Psychology (ECPD). Medimond International Proceedings (2011): 37-41. Print. With Robert DiGiammarino.
- “Sensory processing relates to attachment to childhood comfort objects of college students.” Early Child Development and Care (2011): 12. Web. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03004430.2011.630733.
- “The Relationship between Facebook and the Well-Being of Undergraduate College Students.” Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking 14.4 (April 2011): 183-189. With Dan Costin and Jessica Morris. Print.
- "Regulation of Emotion and Behavior Among 3- and 5-Year-Olds," co-authored with: Power, Thomas G.; Cherry, Katie E.; Gottfried, Nathan W.. Journal of General Psychology, Apr2004, Vol. 131 Issue 2, p159, 20p
Assistant Professor of Psychology
- “L'observation du coparentage dans les familles biparentales: influence du contexte et de l'âge de l'enfant (Coparenting Observations in Two-Parent Families Across Contexts and Time).” Naître et grandir au sein de la triade (Born and raised in the triad: the development of family alliance), coordinated by Favez, N, Frascarolo-Moutinot, F., and Tissot, H. (Bruxelles, BEL: De Boeck, 2013) 75-96. Print. With McHale, J.
Assistant Professor of Psychology
- "Empathic Responding and Aversive Behavior to Others' Emotions among Sixteen-Month-Olds: Associations with Maternal Depressive and Relational Variables." Journal of Reproductive and Infant Psychology 28:4 (Nov. 2010): 372-393. Co-authored with L. Robertson.
- "Quality of Early Care and Childhood Trauma: A Prospective Study of Developmental Pathways to Dissociation." Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease 197.6 (June 2009): 383-390. Co-authored with Lissa Dutra, Jean-Francois Bureau, Bjarne Holmes, and Karlen Lyons-Ruth.
- "Parental Depression and Child Attachment: Hostile and Helpless Profiles of Parent and Child Behavior among Families at Risk." Children of Depressed Parents: Alternative Pathways to Risk for Psychopathology. Eds. S. Goodman and I. Gotlib. Washington, D.C.: American Psychological Association Press, 2002. 89-121. Co-authored with K. Lyons-Ruth, R. Wolfe, R., and E. Bronfman.
- "Depressive Symptoms in Parents of Children under Three: Sociodemographic Predictors, Current Correlates, and Associated Parenting Behaviors." Child Rearing in America: Challenges Facing Parents with Young Children. Eds. N. Halfon, K. McLearn, and M. Schuster. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2002. 217-259. Co-authored with K. Lyons-Ruth, R. Wolfe, and R. Steingard.
- "The Impact of Early Home-Visiting Services on Behavior Problems and Social Competence in Kindergarten: A Three and a Half Year Follow-up." Congress Abstracts, 7th World Conference of the World Association for Infant Mental Health, Infant Mental Health Journal 21, 2 (4-5), 292, 2000. Co-authored with K. Lyons-Ruth and J. DiLallo.
- "Depression and the Parenting of Young Children: Making the Case for Early Preventive Mental Health Services." Harvard Review of Psychiatry 8 (2000): 148-153. Co-authored with K. Lyons-Ruth and R. Wolfe.
Assistant Professor in Psychology
- “What Your Best Friend Sees That I Don’t See: Comparing Female Close Friends and Casual Acquaintances on the Perception of Emotional Facial Expressions of Varying Intensities.” Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin 37.1 (2011): 28-39. With Fang Zhang. Print.
- Parmley, Maria, and Joseph Cunningham. "Children’s Gender–Emotion Stereotypes in the Relationship of Anger to Sadness and Fear." Sex Roles 58.5/6 (2008), 358-370.
Associate Professor of Psychology
- “Aggression, ADHD Symptoms, and Dysphoria in Children and Adolescents Diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder and ADHD.” Journal of Affective Disorders 131 (June/July 2011): 312-319. With L.A. Doerfler and D.F. Connor. Print.
- “The CBCL, Bipolar Profile and Attention, Mood, and Behavior Dysregulation.” Journal of Child and Family Studies 20 (Spring 2011): 545 – 553. With Leonard A. Doerfler and Daniel F. Connor. Print.
- “Aggression, ADHD symptoms, and Dysphoria in Children and Adolescents Diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder and ADHD.” Journal of Affective Disorders 131 (2011): 312-319. With Leonard A. Doerfler and Daniel F. Connor. Print.
- "Sex and Aggression." Journal of Child and Family Studies. June 26, 2008. Co-authored with Prof. Leonard Doerfler.
- "Panic Disorder in Clinically Referred Children and Adolescents," Child Psychiatry and Human Development, December 21, 2006. Co-authored with Prof. Leonard Doerfler and Adam Volungis.
- "Separation Anxiety and Panic Disorder in Clinically Referred Youth," Journal of Anxiety Disorders 22 (fall 2007): 602-611. Co-authored with Prof. Leonard Doerfler.
- "Characteristics of Children and Adolescents Admitted to a Residential Treatment Center," co-authored with Connor, Daniel F., Leonard Doerfler, Adam M. Volungis, and Ronald J. Steingard, Journal of Child and Family Studies, 13, (December 2004), 497-510.
Professor of Psychology
- Psychological Research: Methods for Discovery and Validation. Co-authored with Neil Rankin (New York: McGraw-Hill, 1998).
- Images of Women in American Popular Culture. Second edition. Co-authored with Angela D. Dorenkamp et al. (San Diego: Harcourt Brace Jovanovitch, 1995).
- Images of Women in American Popular Culture. Co-authored with Angela D. Dorenkamp et al. (San Diego: Harcourt Brace Jovanovitch, 1985).
- "Socialization and Delinquency: a Study of False Negatives and False Positives in Prediction" Co-authored with Kenneth B. Stein and Theodore R. Sarbin in Psychological Record, 1970, vol. 20, pp. 353-364.
- "Delinquency, Personal Costs and Parental Treatment: a Test of a Reward-cost Model of Juvenile Criminality" Co-authored with Irving M. Piliavin and Jane Allyn Hardyck in Journal of Criminal Law, Criminology, and Police Science, 1969, vol. 60, pp. 165-172.
- "Constraining Effects of Personal Costs on the Transgressions of Juveniles" Co-authored with Irving M. Piliavin and Jane Allyn Hardyck in Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 1968, vol. 10, pp. 227-231.
- "Reducing Discrepancies in Professional and Custodial Perspectives" Co-authored with Irving M. Piliavin in Journal of Research in Crime and Delinquency, Jan. 1968, pp. 35-
Assistant Professor of Psychology
- "Emotion Attention and Recognition of Facial Expressions among Close Friends and Casual Acquaintances." Journal of Social and Personal Relationships (2014): 1-17. 3 July 2014. Web. With Maria Parmley. [Epub ahead of print]
- “What Your Best Friend Sees That I Don’t See: Comparing Female Close Friends and Casual Acquaintances on the Perception of Emotional Facial Expressions of Varying Intensities.” Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin 37.1 (2011): 28-39. With Maria Parmley. Print.
- "The Relationship between State Attachment Security and Daily Interpersonal Experience." Journal of Research in Personality 43 (2009): 511-515.
- “Six-year changes in affect optimization and affect complexity across the adult life span: a further examination.” Psychology and Aging 22(2007): 738–751. Print. With Labouvie-Vief, G., Diehl, M., Jain, E.
“Stability and fluctuation in adult attachment style over a six-year period.” Journal of Attachment and Human Development 6 (2004): 419-437. Print. With Labouvie-Vief, G.
“Working models of attachment and person perception processes.” Personal Relationships 9 (2002): 227-237. Print. With Hazan, C.
Allard, M. June
Professor, School Counseling Program
- “What Students Are Telling Us about Teaching: The Dangerfield Effect.” Academy of Taiwan Business Management Review 6.2 (2010): 1-13. With Carol Harvey, Kien-Quoc Van Pham, Merlin Simpson. Print.
- Understanding and Managing Diversity: Readings, Cases and Exercises, 4th ed. (Prentice Hall, 2009). Co-edited with Carol Harvey
Lecturer in Theology
- "Diverse Diversities," First Things, January 2004.
Associate Professor of Theology
- "Religion in the U.S. Workplace." Understanding and Managing Diversity. By Carol P. Harvey and M. June Allard. 5th ed. Boston: Pearson, 2012. 216-29. Print. With Jeanne M. McNett, and Pamela D. Sherer.
- "The Christian Mind on Corporate Social Responsibility." Management: A Faith Based Perspective. By Michael E. Cafferky. 1st ed. Boston: Prentice Hall, 2011. 162. Print. With Jeanne M. McNett.
- "Teaching With ‘The Inner Voice of Love." Turning the Wheel: Henri Nouwen and Our Search for God. Ed. Jonathan Bengtson and Gabrielle Earnshaw. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis, 2007. 145-52. Print.
- "A New Face of Catholicism." Connections 13.1 (2004): 1-6. Print.
- "Recognizing the Holy." Mars Hill Review 17 (2001): 51-58. Print.
- "‘Curiouser and Curiouser:’ the Virtue of Wonder." Journal of Education 182.2 (2000): 29-35. Print.
- Strangers to the Ways of the World. Boston, MA: Boston U, U Professors, 1995. Print. Edmonds Papers.
- "The Miracles of Mark 4:35-5:43: Their Meaning and Function in the Gospel Framework." Biblical Theology Bulletin 11.1 (1981): 13-16. Print. With Urban C. von Wahlde.
Associate Professor of Theology
- The Science of Modern Virtue: On Descartes, Darwin, and Locke. DeKalb, IL: Northern Illinois University Press, 2013. Print. With Peter Augustine Lawler.
- Pope Benedict XVI and the Politics of Modernity. New York: Routledge, 2013. Print.
- Jerusalem, Athens, and Rome: Essays in Honor of James V. Schall, S.J.. South Bend, Indiana: St. Augustine's Press, 2013. Print.
- "The Place of Liberal Education in Contemporary Higher Education." Society 50.3 (May/June 2013): 251-256. Print.
- Reason, Revelation, and Human Affairs. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books, 2001. Print.
- "The One, the Many, and the Mystical Body." Heythrop Journal 53.6 (November 2012): 904-914. Print.
- Christians as Political Animals: Taking the Measure of Modernity and Modern Democracy. Wilmington, Del. : ISI Books, 2010. Print.
- “Taking Catholicism and Democracy Seriously.” Catholicism and America: Challenges and Prospects, edited by Matthew L. Lamb. (Ave Maria, FL: Sapientia Press, 2012) 71-88. Print.
- “Pope Benedict XVI as Theologico-Political Thinker.” Perspectives on Political Science. 41.1 (2012): 1-3. Print.
- “Good and Bad De-Hellenization.” Gained Horizons: Regensburg and the Enlargement of Reason, edited by Bainard Cowan. (South Bend, IN: St. Augustine’s Press, 2011) 41-48. Print.
- “Why We Need a ‘Stuck with Virtue’ Science.” New Atlantis. 23 (Summer 2011): 3-15. Print. With Lawler, P.A.
- “Can We Have a Public Bioethics? Reflections Occasioned by the President’s Council.” Society. 46.4 (July/August 2009): 333-340. Print.
- “The Not-Quite-Dead God.” Rev. of The Stillborn God: Religion, Politics, and the Modern West, byMark Mark Lilla. Modern Age 51.2 (Spring 2009): 170-175. Print.
- “Christianity and Contemporary Political Life.” Logos: A Journal of Catholic Thought and Culture. 11.4 (Fall 2008): 74-93. Print.
- “The Use and Abuse of Thanatos in Life.” Perspectives on Political Science. 37.3 (Summer 2008): 136-141. Print.
- “Orestes Brownson Revisited.” Perspectives on Political Science. 37.1 (Winter 2008): 5-7. Print.
- “Leo Strauss and the Recovery of the Theologico-Political Problem.” Political Science Reviewer. XXXVI (2007): 47-80. Print.
- “The Limits of Darwinian Natural Law.” Perspectives on Political Science. 34.3 (Summer 2005): 144-152. Print.
- “Profiles in American Thomism.” Democracy and Its Friendly Critics: Tocqueville and Political Life Today, edited by Peter Lawler. (Lanham, MD: Lexington Books, 2004) 124-135. Print.
- “Prudence and the Legislative Art in Book II of Aristotle’s Politics.” Gladly to Learn and Gladly to Teach: Essays on Religion and Political Philosophy in Honor of Ernest L. Fortin, A.A., edited by Michael P. Foley and Douglas Kries. (Lanham, MD: Lexington Books, 2002) 163-180. Print.
- “Beyond Natural Law Talk: Politics and Prudence in St. Thomas’s On Kingship.” Perspectives on Political Science. 31.1 (Winter 2002): 8-14. Print.
- “Genuine Affirmation of Human Dignity in Catholic Social Thought.” Markets & Morality. 4.2 (Fall 2001): 295-301. Print.
- “Christianity’s Epicurean Temptation.” Faith, Reason, and Political Life Today, edited by Peter Augustine Lawler and Dale McConkey. (Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 2001) 227-241. Print.
- “James V. Schall on Politics and the Problem of Faith and Reason.” Gregorianum. 82.2 (2001): 357-383. Print.
- “Living the Theologico-Political Problem: On Ernest Fortin’s Essays.” Political Science Reviewer. XXVIII (1999): 219-271. Print.
- “The Ambivalence of Classic Natural Right: Leo Strauss on Philosophy, Morality, and Statesmanship.” Perspectives on Political Science. 28.2 (Spring 1999): 69-74. Print.
- “Aristotle on Pleasure and Political Philosophy: A Study in Book VII of the Nicomachean Ethics.” Interpretation. 24.2 (Winter 1997): 171-182. Print.
- “Leo Strauss and the Christian Academy.” Religious Studies and Theology. 15.2-3 (1996): 19-29. Print.
Kimball, Virginia M.
Adjunct Faculty, Continuing & Career Education, Theology
- Mary, God-bearer to a World in Need. Eugene, Oregon: Pickwick Publications, 2013. Print. Ed. with Maura Hearden.
Assistant Professor of Theology
- "Making Love in the Pew: The Relational Interplay between Sexuality and Liturgy." Love and Friendship: Maritain and the Tradition. Ed. Montague Brown. Washington: Catholic University of America, 2013. 233-42. Print.
- Living the Love Story: Catholic Morality and the Modern World. New York: St. Paul’s/Alba House, 2008.
- "NFP and the Frequency of Marital Intercourse." Ethics and Medics 33.5 (May 2008).
- "Gender and the Process of Moral Development in the Thought of Paul Evdokimov." Theological Studies (March 2005).
Professor of Theology
- Metamorphoses of the City: On the Western Dynamic by Pierre Manent. Harvard University Press: Cambridge, 2013. Print. Translated by Marc LePain.
- "Dante Is from Mars." Who Are We? Old, New, and Timeless Answers from Core Texts: selected papers from the fourteenth annual conference of the association for core texts and courses. University Press of America, 2011. 219-223. Print.
- "Dante's Divine Comedy." An Assumption Library: Essays Presented in Celebration of the 20th Anniversary of the Emmanuel d'Alzon Library. Worcester, Mass.: Assumption College Library, c2008. 23-24.
- "Xuequin's The Story of the Stone." An Assumption Library: Essays Presented in Celebration of the 20th Anniversary of the Emmanuel d'Alzon Library. Worcester, Mass.: Assumption College Library, c2008. 34-35.
- A World Beyond Politics?: A Defense of the Nation-State, [translated from the French of Pierre Manent’s Cours familier de philosophie politique], Princeton University Press, 2006.
- "Tra feltro e feltro: Whence Dante's Greyhound?" IN Foley, Michael and Douglas Kries, eds. Gladly to Learn, Gladly to Teach: Essays on Religion and Political Philosophy in Honor of Ernest L. Fortin, A.A. (Lexington Books, 2002)
- English translation of Ernest L. Fortin, A.A. Dissent and Philosophy in the Middle Ages: Dante and his Precursors. (Lexington Books, 2002)
- English translation of Pierre Manet's The City of Man (Princeton University Press).
Rollins, Wayne G.
Professor Emeritus of Theology
- "Carl Jung" and "Psychology and Biblical Studies" IN Dictionary of Biblical Interpretation. 1999.
- Soul and Psyche: The Bible in Psychological Perspective. (Minneapolis, MN : Fortress Press, c1999)