The almost universal feeling among faculty I’ve talked to in the last week is that Blackboard’s new method of listing students is, to put it politely, unfriendly. For many it’s unusable. As I’ve often suggested during training workshops, if you don’t like a feature let Blackboard know about it. The more people asking for change the more likely it will come. To let Blackboard know how you feel about the changes in the new version you can send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the meantime, a workaround to get a list of all users listed in your class is to use the users link in the users and groups section of the control panel and search any of the fields using contains as the delimiter and % as the search string. Now how obvious was that! And it doesn’t work with the roster tool!
We’ve made it through the first week of the semester and what a week it was! After a frustrating start for all the Blackboard users we finally diagnosed and hopefully resolved the network problems that plagued the system since we changed out the hardware on August 19th. Only once we had a load on the system did we discover the problems. Thanks to those who reported problems. We realized midway through this week that others were having problems but because sometimes they could get things to work they assumed that the problem was them. It wasn’t!