Interning with the Worcester Sharks
Name: Andrew Smith
Hometown/State: North Grafton, MA
Internship Sponsor: Worcester Sharks: American Hockey League (AHL)
- Conduct industry research within the AHL to see how the Worcester Sharks stack up with competing AHL teams in terms of attendance and in-game promotions
- Update Social Media websites such as Facebook and Twitter
- Maintain contact information for Sharks Season Ticket Holders and former clients
- Assist in finding new leads to grow the Sharks brand
- Create and distribute Sharks flyers, ticket schedules, and tickets from local schools, churches, and businesses in the Central Massachusetts area
Hello! My name is Andrew Smith and I am a Senior Marketing major at Assumption College. I am currently a Marketing and Ticket Sales Intern with the Worcester Sharks. My experience with the Sharks has been tremendous. It has been a unique experience to see how much work actually goes into running a sports team at a professional level, which I did not appreciate as a sports fan. The Sharks Internship has also shown me firsthand the importance of networking in the business world. All aspects of business are driven by networking and communication.
In addition to my office responsibilities, I also assist during home games. Before every Sharks game, there are one or two youth hockey games. During this time, I serve as a DJ and play music through the Jumbotron during stoppages of play or intermissions. The Sharks have played three home games so far, where I have been a member of the Sharks “Tank Team,” worked a “Chuck-a-Puck” promotion and at the Sharks Shootout Booth.
I attribute the quality of my internship work to the foundation that my business classes at Assumption have given me. Classes such as Sports Marketing, Marketing Management, Communication Theory, and Marketing on the Internet have all been very beneficial. I have been able to meet and exceed my supervisor’s expectations on a frequent basis because of the education and skill set I have received through my courses in the Business Studies Department.
No comments yet.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.