Interning at Banco Santander (Sovereign N.A.)
Name: Marissa Velez
Hometown, State: Barre, Vermont
Internship Sponsor: Banco Santander (Sovereign N.A.)
- Develop presentations regarding prospects for each business unit, primarily healthcare, within Corporate Banking
- Develop household relationships within the Corporate Banking umbrella to help aid organic growth
- Work closely with the Business Banking team to help develop cross-sell opportunities for existing clients
Sovereign Bank N.A. provides financial services in the Northeastern United States. As an intern in the company’s Corporate Development Team, I interact with all business units within the Corporate Banking Sector, which allows me to gain a broad and diverse set of skills. These units include: Large Corporate, Middle Market, Specialty Lending and Business Banking. For example, I am now able to distinguish the different products used when the bankers attempt to gain ancillary income from existing and future clients. Because each business unit operates under different parameters, they each have their own primary set of products.
On a typical day at the bank, I am asked to help develop prospect lists for each business unit, maintain client records and help develop cross-sell strategies for specific clients. Personally, I find cross-sell strategies to be most useful and engaging because it allows me to see all aspects of the business, from the relationship, to the strategic plan, to the closing of a deal.
Although I am seeing these strategies in only one specific industry (banking), these are marketing skills that I can apply to any industry that I may enter after graduation.
Interning at Dress for Success, Boston and Worcester
Name: Erin Kinback
Hometown, State: Shrewsbury, MA
Major: Organizational Communication
Internship: Dress for Success, Boston and Worcester
- Organize inventory for the boutique (clothing/accessories)
- Input donors’ information in the Matchmaker database
- Work directly with Executive Director on grant research and other development activities
- Create and mail acknowledgment letters to donors
- Correspond with other Dress for Success affiliates and corporate office
- Maintain appearance of boutique – replenishing stock as needed
The Dress for Success mission is to promote the economic independence of disadvantaged women by providing professional attire and a network of support and career development tools to help women thrive in work and in life. Dress for Success is an international non-profit organization that has served more than 650,000 women around the world. As an intern here, I am able to be a part of this inspiring movement and use my communication and business skills to help the company grow.
As a Client Services/ Development Intern, I am utilizing the skills I have gained in my Organizational Communication major . Working with clients one-on-one allows me to use my communication skills effectively in order to ensure that women are receiving the best service possible in a way that makes them feel empowered and inspired. I also have a strong desire to learn more about grant writing and grant research and I am excited to delve deeper into this field as my internship continues.
I have found that working one-on-one with Dress for Success clients who wish to better themselves and further their careers is very inspiring and rewarding. I leave work consistently feeling fulfilled and knowing that I have made a difference, even if it is a very small one. Meaningfulness is something I know I am seeking in a career, and I have been fortunate enough to find that opportunity through Dress for Success.
Interning with the UMass Medical School Human Resources Department
Name: Kelly Van Schaack
Hometown: Canton, CT
Major: Business Management
Internship Sponsor: Human Resources Department, UMass Medical School
- Compiling spreadsheets for jobs, such as creating new contact lists for the recruiting managers
- Reviewing applicant resumes and submitting qualified applicants to the hiring managers
- Creating and posting job openings on College and other websites
- Arranging applicants’ schedules and also calling the applicants’ references
UMass Medical School is the Commonwealth’s first and only public academic health sciences center. As a large company, it focuses highly on education and research to find cures for diseases such as cancer and ALS.
Interning at UMass Medical School has provided me with professional experience, along with specific experience in the Human Resources field, which is where I would like to work after I graduate. I have had the opportunity to work with various departments within Human Resources, such as recruiting and compensation and benefits.
I work with an excellent team. I am working with talented professionals who are willing to help and teach me as much as possible during my internship.
Inerning with the Worcester Sharks
Name: Maria Apon
Hometown: Portland, ME
Internship Sponsor: Worcester Sharks (AHL)
- Generate raffles that will help the Sharks sales staff collect data on game days and at community appearances
- Work with corporate sales staff to ensure client satisfaction
- Help promote College Night
- Work with the Sales & Marketing team in increase attendance by the collegiate demographic
- Manage the lists of businesses and non-profit organizations receiving the promotional packages and work with account executives to track progress
As a sales/marketing intern at the Worcester Sharks, I have gained experience and insight into the production of a sports organization. The Sharks are a fast-paced environment with a very small staff, which allows me to work closely with many departments. I have drafted and reviewed sponsorship proposals, as well as used excel spreadsheets to track open and sold corporate inventory.
I attend every home game to work with account executives to ensure client satisfaction with season ticket holders. I work directly with fans and fundraisers which allows me to utilize my interpersonal and communication skills that I learned in my Sales Management class. In addition to working with account executives, I have also worked for the Sharks’ Kids’ Club where I sell Kid’s Club memberships, which promotes loyalty among our fans and helps to increase family ticket sales.
This internship has given me the experience I need in all aspects of the marketing field, including: sales, corporate partnership relations and public relations. I feel very prepared at my internship because of the foundation I have gained in my marketing classes such as: Sales Management, Advertising and Marketing Management.
Interning with the Worcester Business Journal
Name: Kristin Bateas
Hometown, State: Fort Mill, SC
Major: Organizational Communication
Internship sponsor: Worcester Business Journal (WBJ)
- Assist with the promotion and operations of special events from the planning stage to the actual event
- Coordinate marketing of events, special projects and high profile issues using various marketing channels including social media, press releases, etc.
- Process data entry
- Assist with client relations
- Compile marketing materials
The Worcester Business Journal (WBJ)is the region’s definitive source of business news for top executives. By interning in the Events and Marketing Department, I have grown to have great appreciation for what it takes to put together an event. I use my communication and marketing skills, that I learned through the courses in my Organizational Communication major, daily.
My main project is preparing for the next big event, Business Leaders of the Year. After making spreadsheets of sponsors, attendees and speakers, and determining the actual date of the event, I realized that planning an event is much harder than I expected. I am now updating the slideshow to play at our booth.
I wrote a press release for the event and used my skills from my Business and Technical Writing class. This class taught me to write effectively while using clear and concise language.
The WBJ is a small business, which allows for the departments to interact. This helps me to become acquainted with each department and to learn about all areas of the business. My internship has guided me to want to look for a job in the event planning industry after I graduate.