Alumni
Annual Fund
Assumption Prep
Centennial Campaign
Parents Committee
Gift Planning
President's Council
Reunion
FBI Golf Tournament
Staff
Site Index

History of Assumption Preparatory School

At the turn of the century Fr. Thomas Darbois, A.A.; Fr. Isidore H. Gayraud, A.A.; and others left their homeland and traveled to New England. With the help of French-speaking American clergymen, they purchased a three-decker home on Fales Street in Worcester, Mass., converted it into a school, and opened its doors to students in September 1904. Fr. Isidore was headmaster for the first year.

Assumption Prep (originally known as Assumption High School) grew in size and reputation, sharing its campus with Assumption College until 1953. The presence of the College brought the Prep School prestige and guaranteed a lively intellectual pace. At its height, the Prep School’s enrollment exceeded 400. After a devastating tornado destroyed the campus in June 1953, the College was re-established on Salisbury Street, while the Prep School rebuilt on the original site.

In the late 1960s the Prep School faced a perilous situation. Enrollment numbers were shrinking and elderly religious were approaching retirement age. Due to financial troubles and dwindling enrollments the Prep School closed in June 1970.


Assumption College has welcomed Assumption Prep graduates as part of its extended family. The College hosts the annual Assumption Prep Reunion on campus each fall and Prep graduates receive the College magazine and invitations to regional alumni events. The class notes section of the Assumption College Magazine now begins with Assumption Prep Notes. In order to help Prep alumni feel connected with their classmates, the 2002 Assumption College Alumni directory includes all Assumption Prep graduates for whom the College has a current address.


Last updated August 28, 2003